Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 05:31:13 am

Author Topic: Geography or IT informatics?  (Read 4925 times)  Share 

alsheriff

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Geography or IT informatics?
« on: November 07, 2017, 12:34:20 pm »
I'm currently doing Physics, Spesh, methods, english, softdev and accounting.

I really do not like accounting so I can change to either Informatics or Geography. I find geography rather interesting but am not sure if it will be too hard. Informatics is an option because I have already done Software development.

Any advice?

rachid.kam

• Forum Regular
  • The higher you fly, the harder you fall
  • Respect: +5
Re: Geography or IT informatics?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:44:24 pm »
Hey there!
Uuum I never really did neither subject, but I would definitely go for Informatics. I reckon it would be a bit easier for you given that you already do software development, but I could be wrong. I know geography is quite interesting, but can be draining at times and the exam itself does involve lots of writing. But take my advice with a grain( or mountain :P) of salt. Do a bit of research on both subjects and maybe talk to past students about them. I'm probably the least credible person to have replied lol.
2016:
Biology [41]
2017:
Texts and Traditions [] | Physics [lool] | Chemistry [46] | Methods [looool] | English[38]
Atar: 92
Monash University: Bachelor of Biomed 2018-2020

Texts and Traditions: The path toward a 40+
100 Days until the VCE Chem Exam: STRATEGY

J.14

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »
Hey, I guess choose the one you'll feel most comfortable with and are likely to score high in. I personally hated geography at the start of the year but surprisingly it has turned out to be my top subject! It's quite interesting and fun but there is a lot of writing to do and analysing graphs and data, sketching stuff on a map etc but it's not too hard at all, it's pretty good if you put your time and effort into the subject :) It does scale down though I think, not sure about informatics, but I'd advice you to pick the one that you will enjoy!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:52:45 pm »
Think Informatics would be a safe option. Doesn't mean safe is better, though.

It really is up to you - a lot of the content overlaps (e.g. problem solving methodology). If you are really into programming and what you did in softdev, chances are you won't really enjoy Informatics (it's quite the opposite, more data and information systems, if anything).

No idea about Geo so I won't comment regarding that.

Another option you could look into is Algorithmics (if you did well + enjoy methods). You'll most likely have to do it via distance if your school doesn't offer it given only a really small number of schools offer it (new study, started in 2015). http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vce/studies/algorithmics/algorithmicsindex.aspx

Cheers
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile