Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:34:42 am

Author Topic: Am I going to cope with MM for YR12?  (Read 3603 times)  Share 

droodles

Am I going to cope with MM for YR12?
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:45:27 pm »
I've been averaging Ds for all my tests/sacs this year. I got an E for my mid year exam.

Thing is I can do the work but I crumble under test conditions which is why my results for them are lacking. I get told that methods is relatively easy to moderate but it requires a lot of hard work.

Just want to know if I've made a mistake in nomintating to do 3+4 next year even though my methods teacher has recommended me to do it.

I'm not aiming big, a score of 25-30 would do and I'll just go harder for other subjects like general maths and etc. Also, the course I want to get into at uni requires methods.

Matt89

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:49:47 pm »
IMO, Year 12 methods is a fair bit harder than Year 11 methods. Although, because all assessment is done internally, this may not be the case at your school. Most guys at my school who were getting marks in the D-E range opted to do Year 12 further maths

Galelleo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:54:10 pm »
Personally, ive found math methods 3+4 harder than spec maths... but that could be because i did methods last year and spec this year.

However, i imagine that Ds and Es mean you havent been trying very hard?

I think that pretty much anyone is able to do methods as long as theyre willing to put in the work. its really open to all because, like with anything, if you practice and study it enough youll ace the exam.

So .. lol in conclusion : P yes go for it, assuming youre willing to work your guts out for it.
Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Light a man ON fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
Re: Am I going to cope with MM for YR12?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:54:40 pm »
Quote from: "droodles"
I've been averaging Ds for all my tests/sacs this year. I got an E for my mid year exam.

Thing is I can do the work but I crumble under test conditions which is why my results for them are lacking. I get told that methods is relatively easy to moderate but it requires a lot of hard work.

Just want to know if I've made a mistake in nomintating to do 3+4 next year even though my methods teacher has recommended me to do it.

I'm not aiming big, a score of 25-30 would do and I'll just go harder for other subjects like general maths and etc. Also, the course I want to get into at uni requires methods.

Do methods if it's a prerequisite. Seriously.

Make yourself go over the basics before next year though.
(know how to differentiate; draw sinx, cosx; find the period and amplitude; log laws; exponentials; a probability lies between 0 and 1; sketch x^-1, x^-2, cubics, etc..)

I think I said on BoS that 3&4 is easier than 1&2. Yep, I still stand by that.

Freitag

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:00:06 pm »
I found methods 3&4 actually easier then 1&2. You just go over the same stuff you've already learned..

But that's just my opinion.
rediction of Scores:

English: 40 (hopefully) ; Spec: 40, Methods: 40-45, Physics 35, Enhancement: HD. Last year- History 38; I.T 42.

Hopeful ENTER 98. (I need it for my scholarship :()

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:01:42 pm »
I share Freitag's opinion.

Galelleo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:28:50 pm »
woah... buy me a drink first yeah?

:wink:  8)  :lol:
Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Light a man ON fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Odette

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 05:31:38 pm »
Hey believe me my SAC marks in units 1 and 2, were about the same, so what I did was:
1. Revised everything that I did in units 1+2
2. Took a look at the units 3+4 book, did a few exercises
3. Got myself a tutor over the holidays to go over everything in units 1+2 and gave me a head start into units 3+4

That helped me so much, and i pulled through, found units 3 and 4, so much easier, you just need to put in the effort now, so that it isn't too hard for you later on, but you need to be consistent throughout the year. :)

Good Luck, hope that helps :)

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:33:20 pm »
... and Odette got a 42!

Work pays off.

Odette

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 05:35:49 pm »
Quote from: "Toothpick"
... and Odette got a 42!

Work pays off.

Yeah  :oops: hehe
Persistence is the key :) hehe don't give up!

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 06:03:55 pm »
I agree that 3/4 Methods is not as hard as 1/2 Methods. In year 11 I was getting B+/A and in year 12 I've been getting A/A+ (that's for SACs though, I don't know how I'm going to do on the exam). I was in a kind of panic about methods at the start of the year, but I'm actually starting to enjoy it in a twisted way.

costargh

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 06:13:57 pm »
Well... no one understands the Methods course well and gets a D and E so either make sure that you know that you need to work harder or don't do it. I  was gettin D's last year and ended up getting a C+ on the end of year exam for year 11. This year I've been doing terribly because I barely opened my book but now I'm starting to rememebr things Ive learnt in class and am now willing to put the time into it for a week.

So go for it. But have a positive mindset for it. We shall see in a number of weeks if my hard work this week has paid off lol

Odette

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 06:25:51 pm »
And one more thing, if you struggle with anything you could always ask a question on here and someone is bound to help you out, keep that in mind as well. Lot's of intelligent people use this forum :), so don't hesistate to ask for help :)

Anyways good luck with whatever it is you decide to choose :D

costargh

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 07:23:17 pm »
YAY! I just did Insight 2007 methods exam 2 and got 43/80 which is kinda better then what i got on my school assessed trial exams which i recieved 0/40 for exam 1 and 8/80 for exam 2 or sometin like that.
!!! damn i love methods right now hahah :D  :D  :D
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN HELPING ME OUT THIS LONG WEEKEND! You have seriously made so many things click  :)