Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:09:45 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767097 times)  Share 

Plan-B

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #1035 on: November 10, 2012, 10:40:08 pm »
Just to double confirm,

''The rules or requirements for breadth study in each of the undergraduate Melbourne degrees are basically the same. The following requirements are common to all:

At least 50 points (four subjects) of your course must contribute to your breadth studies*.
No more than 37.5 points of breadth (three subjects) can be taken at level 1.
You are encouraged to take at least one 37.5 point (three subject) breadth track. (Learn more about Breadth Tracks)
''

I can do three level 1 breadths and one level 2 breadth in a bachelor of commerce to satisfy the breadth requirement?

Thanks

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #1036 on: November 11, 2012, 05:52:54 am »
Just to double confirm,

''The rules or requirements for breadth study in each of the undergraduate Melbourne degrees are basically the same. The following requirements are common to all:

At least 50 points (four subjects) of your course must contribute to your breadth studies*.
No more than 37.5 points of breadth (three subjects) can be taken at level 1.
You are encouraged to take at least one 37.5 point (three subject) breadth track. (Learn more about Breadth Tracks)
''

I can do three level 1 breadths and one level 2 breadth in a bachelor of commerce to satisfy the breadth requirement?

Thanks

Yes, I've taken three level 1 breadths and am currently doing my last breadth here (Level 3).
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #1037 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »
What's the go for going on exchange? I only started looking at it now and it looks like I may have missed out on applying for 2nd semester next year, so 2nd year for me cos of this December deadline thing I keep seeing for applications. Although my grades may be too low... lol
So looks like I might have to wait to do it in 3rd year? Only problem is that I read it's best not to do major/compulsory units on exchange, so that may be a problem in 3rd year? Euggh.

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #1038 on: November 15, 2012, 12:25:57 am »
It does become a problem, but you can always pay to do subjects when you come back.

I came to the realization that I simply don't earn enough to save up to go on exchange.

You could still go fine in 3rd year.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #1039 on: November 15, 2012, 05:17:27 am »
+2
It does become a problem, but you can always pay to do subjects when you come back.

I came to the realization that I simply don't earn enough to save up to go on exchange.

...I thought you worked like 30 hours a week? I work ten hours a week at home? You can get loans...and the grant.  I got 8500 from that alone.

What's the go for going on exchange? I only started looking at it now and it looks like I may have missed out on applying for 2nd semester next year, so 2nd year for me cos of this December deadline thing I keep seeing for applications. Although my grades may be too low... lol
So looks like I might have to wait to do it in 3rd year? Only problem is that I read it's best not to do major/compulsory units on exchange, so that may be a problem in 3rd year? Euggh.

The December deadline would prevent you from going?  There's still about a month for you to get your shit together.  It's not too hard to get the minimum amount of subjects approved before the deadline and then just accumulate extras later.  If you do want to go next year: find an institution you really want to go to, get a few subjects from it approved via email (even if you're not 100% on taking them) so that you have a 'full credit load' and you're pretty much done.  You can definitely get someone to write you an academic reference in time if you start one now.

However, there is the small problem of those stupid exchange information sessions that are compulsory now? I'd imagine they have one before the due date...let me check - sure enough, there's on on Wednesday 21st of November you could attend which might be after your exams and also happens to be before the application deadline for UC if you were considering that option.

You only need a 65% average to go on exchange.  If you look at the partner institutions you'll see what cut-offs institutions had last time and how many estimated places they have.  For some institutions they won't even reach that cut off (unfortunately not for places like Kings, Berkeley, Penn etc).

And then I must ask - where (in terms of countries) would you like to go?  The availability of your subjects will vary depending on where you're applying - it's good to investigate whether everyone has equal opportunity to enter into subjects or if local students get preference if you are considering for third year.  It's true that you shouldn't rely on being about to take subjects in your major unless you have a written guarantee for the host institution.  If you do end up looking at third year (and you're still in first) then here are my suggestions to you:
- find out how many subjects you need to take for the major you're considering
- find out how many of those subjects (level 3) you can take without prerequisites from second year
- take some of your level three subjects in second year
- leave your second year electives until you go on exchange

There's nothing that says you have to take Level 3 subjects in your third year - if you could attempt some (not all of course) in second year then this is a way to make sure you don't have to take so many specific subjects when you're overseas.  For instance, I didn't need Biochem for any of my possible majors when I get back but I do need it for the MD applications.  I decided to take Biochem in first semester of next year (third year) and take a third year elective here instead - which is the opposite to what I'm suggesting to you, but it's a way to make sure you can take courses that you need to take at Melbourne at home and still go on exchange.  Just save up your breadths and electives for overseas because they have much more flexibility.

Going on Exchange can be a severe commitment for your degree depending on what you do.  Not so much in Arts, because their degree structure is generally more flexible and their prerequisites more lenient but for Sciences and Commerce things tend to be more strict.  It's a good idea to try and plan your whole degree structure around going on exchange.  If you absolutely have to take prerequisites overseas just investigate your options and narrow down your host institutions based on equivalences.  But if you could go in second year with a month to plan...I'd really recommend it!

Hope I helped!

EDIT: one more thing I realised you should know about third year exchange: if you do decide to do one, make sure you plan it for Semester 1 of your final year and not Semester 2.  The reason for this is that the academic calendars of Australian universities obviously do not align with those for universities in the Northern Hemisphere.  They finish our 'Semester 2' in December, just before Christmas!  And therefore they take forever to send through your final transcript to Melbourne.  And then Melbourne takes forever to convert the scores on that transcript into a 'pass' on your study plan for the units listed for Exchange.  And what that means is that if you do go on exchange in the final semester of your final year you cannot graduate with your cohort in December of your final year.  So, in your case, instead of graduating in December of 2014, you would be looking at graduating in the middle of 2015 (even though you have no more credit points to undertake).  This is especially frustrating if you're looking at postgraduate courses which only have beginning of year entry and not midyear entry, or even honours.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:32:42 am by mavisgibbons »
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #1040 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:56 am »
Wow thanks for that mavis! A really good read (y)
I didn't know that we had to worry about applications in first year lol cos I'm doing actuarial stream first year and might continue, and if I do then I won't be able to do the exchange. So I was told not to worry about it and apply during 2nd year cos exchange for actuarial is in 3rd year, but now I'm considering alternative options again which is why I really liked Melbourne cos it gives indecisive people like me time to figure out what I enjoy :P
Tbh I don't really have a university in mind, but I wouldn't mind going to the UK or US. I had a look at some institutions the other night along with the cut offs, but honestly, I don't really know much about the unis or the cities they are situated in haha especially the UK ones. Also I only see cut offs for the US institutions, unless there is another link that shows all of them?
I was thinking if I were to go ahead with this, I could do 2 units in summer and 4 in 1st semester then possibly only do 2 or 3 during 2nd semester 2nd year. Which leaves 4 units each semester during 3rd year. Otherwise, I could do what you suggested and possibly bring forward 1 or 2 3rd year units into 2nd semester 2nd year which would allow me to go on exchange during 3rd year where I could do elective units/breadths - also gives me a couple of semesters to bring up my average :P
That's a good point regarding doing exchange in 1st semester of 3rd year! I'll have to do a bit of research for this today! Thanks for that :)

nubs

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1041 on: November 18, 2012, 04:51:33 pm »
Anyone know when our results start coming out?
ATAR: 99.15

BSc @ UoM
2012-2014

ex oh ex oh

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #1042 on: November 18, 2012, 05:07:48 pm »

Probably best to wait for exams to finish first :P
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

darlok

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #1043 on: November 18, 2012, 06:51:19 pm »
+1
They should start coming out around the 30th.

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1044 on: November 18, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »

...I thought you worked like 30 hours a week? I work ten hours a week at home? You can get loans...and the grant.  I got 8500 from that alone.

I do, I'm independent though. Rent, bills, food, transport, uni books, it adds up. I only work out of necessity.

Edit: Just to elaborate, I can't save up the recommended $20k to last a year on exchange. I could probably save up close to 8 or 9k over the summer break now if I devoted it all to working and saving, but that's hectic - I'm finally on holidays so I'm enjoying the uni downtime so much with the same amount of work.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:38:13 pm by VivaTequila »

banditkeith

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #1045 on: November 18, 2012, 09:33:51 pm »

Pretty sure I heard that all the results come out by the 6th of December but don't hold me to that

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #1046 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »
Don't the results come out earlier on the Study Plan?? I wanted to view mine before or on the 28th haha, Oh well!
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1047 on: November 18, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »
+2
Don't the results come out earlier on the Study Plan?? I wanted to view mine before or on the 28th haha, Oh well!

No more than a day earlier. They update the official results page once daily, and if results happen to come on the day after the time when they are updated, they'll appear in the Study Plan first.

nubs

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1048 on: November 19, 2012, 09:55:35 pm »
The finalised ones come out by 5pm, 7th of December at the latest
But yeah the unofficial ones could come out a week or so before that
ATAR: 99.15

BSc @ UoM
2012-2014

ex oh ex oh

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
« Reply #1049 on: November 20, 2012, 09:48:03 am »
+2
Hey, as weird as it sounds I've already got one result - Intercultural Communication. But it's on the actual page itself under 'My Grades' not on the results statement so it might not be as official yet if we consider the possibilities of scaling etc.

Edit: What has just happened... They moved my assignment marks down but the exam mark up. I am confused as to why this was. The exam was just multiple choice - maybe they made a mistake initially marking it or maybe it was scaled?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:04:29 am by golden »
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.