Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:18:41 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4768023 times)  Share 

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #705 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »
+1
That is for people who start mid-year. Semester 2 starts July 23.

El Carlos

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #706 on: July 02, 2012, 03:09:19 pm »
Hey folks! I'm doing ESD1 in Sem 2 and I'm wondering if they record their lectures. I already have a clash, and there's only a single stream of lectures available for semester 2.

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #707 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
They were recorded in semester 1. Audio only.
Science, Melbourne University.

curious111

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #708 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »
The list of subjects with recorded lectures (for Science/Engineering etc. subjects) is up on the EPSC site

http://studentcentre.unimelb.edu.au/eastern/subject_information/Timetabling/recorded_lectures

It's not quite complete yet though; I know Eng Computation is being recorded but it's not on the list (yet).

Cuddlekins

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #709 on: July 05, 2012, 05:18:03 pm »
Hey guys, just need confirmation before i decide to do 4 cores next sem. Next sem ill be taking biochem, techniques in molecular science, pathology and pharmacology. I will then do a breradth subject in summer, hence my breadth subject requirements will be met. The question is if i decide to do 4 cores next sem, does that mean i have to do ine subject less for third year? The subject planner i think* has limited spots for third year?  Thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:19:59 pm by Cuddlekins »
Bachelor of Science @ UoM

jasrulz63

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #710 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »
+1
It's the fact that you're doing a summer subject, and not four science subjects, that means you will have one semester with only three subjects next year. This is because you're allowed 4-6 breadth subjects, so you don't necessarily have to have a breadth every semester (if you're doing one breadth a semester).

After you do your summer semester you'll have seven subjects left for third year (assuming you've done four subjects a semester thus far), and six of them have to be level 3 science subjects (provided you haven't done any already) including four core subjects for your major. The study plan has a set limit of 300 credit points.

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #711 on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »
This is a bit random but are all uni subjects offered over the summer period?? I wasn't able to do a first year Linguistics subject in semester 1 ("The Secret Life of Language") - would I be able to do it in the summer period? Thanks!
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #712 on: July 05, 2012, 06:43:40 pm »
+2
This is a bit random but are all uni subjects offered over the summer period?? I wasn't able to do a first year Linguistics subject in semester 1 ("The Secret Life of Language") - would I be able to do it in the summer period? Thanks!

Only some subjects are offered over summer.  Check in the handbook if it is.  It will say it will be offered in "Summer Term" or "January".

And no, LING10001 The Secret Life of Language just seems to be offered in semester 1.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Cuddlekins

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #713 on: July 05, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »
It's the fact that you're doing a summer subject, and not four science subjects, that means you will have one semester with only three subjects next year. This is because you're allowed 4-6 breadth subjects, so you don't necessarily have to have a breadth every semester (if you're doing one breadth a semester).

After you do your summer semester you'll have seven subjects left for third year (assuming you've done four subjects a semester thus far), and six of them have to be level 3 science subjects (provided you haven't done any already) including four core subjects for your major. The study plan has a set limit of 300 credit points.
Thanks so much for the clarification. So under the science major in the study plan we can add 4 subjects? Im trying to add the 4 pathology subjects but it isnt letting me- it wont even come up when i search the name and the code :(

jasrulz63

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #714 on: July 05, 2012, 08:14:02 pm »
Are those four subjects under your major, if so, have you selected your major on the study plan yet?

Cuddlekins

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #715 on: July 05, 2012, 08:21:14 pm »
Nope there are no subjects under my subject major. I clicked onchoose and tried putting the subject name/code but it isnt showing up when i search it.

jasrulz63

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #716 on: July 05, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
+1
Don't you have to select your major first? Next to "BS-SCIMAJOR - Science Major" there should be a "choose" where you should search for "pathology". Since there are three core subjects for the Pathology major, those three subjects should come up in your study plan automatically. I might be wrong though, been a while since I selected my major.

donut007

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Ruyton
« Reply #717 on: July 06, 2012, 02:55:33 am »
hey guys,
I'm interested in how one goes about calcuting their GPA.

I have tried to read the online guide that people have given my links to, but it doesn't really make sense to me. I have figured there the way that you calculate it, is one of the following 2 ways:
-for example, my subject scores are 74, 86, 72, 70, and so my average is 77, does that mean my GPA is 6.5 because my average of 77 calculates to be a h2A
-or is it calculated by saying okay 74, 72 and 70 are h2bs and 86 is an h1, so my GPA would be the average of 6+6+6+7/4?

Can someone please explain if either of these ways of calculating my GPA are correct? (I'm a first yr science student if that helps in any way)

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #718 on: July 06, 2012, 05:44:18 am »
+1
hey guys,
I'm interested in how one goes about calcuting their GPA.

I have tried to read the online guide that people have given my links to, but it doesn't really make sense to me. I have figured there the way that you calculate it, is one of the following 2 ways:
-for example, my subject scores are 74, 86, 72, 70, and so my average is 77, does that mean my GPA is 6.5 because my average of 77 calculates to be a h2A
-or is it calculated by saying okay 74, 72 and 70 are h2bs and 86 is an h1, so my GPA would be the average of 6+6+6+7/4?

Can someone please explain if either of these ways of calculating my GPA are correct? (I'm a first yr science student if that helps in any way)

The second method (with brackets).

Your GPA from those grades alone would be (6+6+6+7)/4 =25/4 = 6.25

Remember though, first year isn't weighted very heavily compared to second and third year.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

ellaa81

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +24
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #719 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01:39 pm »
Hey guys, I'm aiming to go to UoM next year and and just wondering if you could help me out with something... I keep having people ask "why would you go there when you have to do an extra year just go to monash save money blah blah". So my question is, is it true that you have to do this 'extra year'?
I know you have to do breadth subjects but I can't really get my head around where this supposed extra year is coming from.
2012 ATAR: 96.40 - Psychology [50] Health and Human Development [45] ~ 2013: B.A - University of Melbourne

CONNECT EDUCATION

Tutoring VCE Psychology at State Library/Eastern suburbs :) Please feel free to PM!