Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:41:00 am

Author Topic: I Run Out Of Time In Exams'. Any suggestions?  (Read 2036 times)

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
I Run Out Of Time In Exams'. Any suggestions?
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:59:56 am »
Hello Ppl,

I am just finishing year 11 and my prelims showed I had a major weakness, 'exam time management'; economics I didn't reach my second essay; modern history, i forsook 33% by not having the time to complete 2 long(ish) responses; business studies i didn't get time for a 6 marker.

Thankfully, there isn't wrong with what I do write, however, I take to long in doing so and thus do not secure the desired marks.

Has anyone got any suggestions how manage exam time/solve my problem in view of maximising in year 12?

Thanks in advance
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
Re: I Run Out Of Time In Exams'. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:13:31 am »
Hey!

I've had the same issues in the past and i've found that doing practice responses is key, it helps you identify where you are spending to much time and prepares you for when the exam day actually comes. You might also look at calculating how much time you are spending on certain questions. Like in HSC business studies you should be spending 1min 48secs per mark so that means you should be spending a little under 11 mins to answer a 6 marker. Obviously you should try to do it in less but you have plenty of time to fix this. Try picking questions that target your weaknesses so that by the time the exam comes you can consider it a strength.

So basically practice is the key to improving across all subject areas

Hope this helps!  :)
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:15:52 am »
Awesome, I have since resat my modern history exam under a strict stipulated time per question however still way over time...I am not thinking I am including to much content!!
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

Grace0702

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 11:59:04 am »
Only include enough content to get the marks, then if you have spare time at the end come back and add to the questions, or maybe try to write faster, buy gel pens, I use uni-ball and they are great, i've noticed I can write a lot faster now!
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies

worldno1

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:24:52 pm »
Only include enough content to get the marks, then if you have spare time at the end come back and add to the questions, or maybe try to write faster, buy gel pens, I use uni-ball and they are great, i've noticed I can write a lot faster now!

Which uni-ball model do you use? Cmiiw but there's quite a few different types.

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 12:31:26 pm »
Great, thanks for your help!

KR Drew.
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

Grace0702

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 12:59:14 pm »
Which uni-ball model do you use? Cmiiw but there's quite a few different types.

I use the Uni-ball eye and the Uni-ball signo 207, both are really good. The eye is has a lid and the signo is a retractable pen

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:35:59 pm »
I don't do any humanities subjects but try do them in strict time conditions... 1 mark a minute will help train you for the real thing. For chemistry I first learnt to do questions quickly by timing myself. So if the question in 10 marks, I put up a 10 minute timer and complete it within the time frame.

Take it one question at a time under timed conditions, you'll find that over time you'll be quicker and quicker!
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 03:12:08 pm »
Seconding the advice already given. Improving your timing is a matter of practice and also being strict with the amount of time you give yourself per question. There's no real magic solution that'll make you stop running out of time instantly - it's just a matter of practice, practice and more practice. You're in year 11 so the good thing is you still have a year before your final exams to work on your skills.

For me personally, I always had the most success by closely monitoring how much time I was taking for each question and trying not to go over my self-imposed limit. I also played with how fast I could write whilst keeping my writing actually intelligible. I sacrificed a bit of neatness for some more speed but checked in with my teachers to make sure my handwriting was still able to be read! Also see if you can cut down on words - I didn't realise how many unnecessary words I used until I actually thought about it lol. I'm not sure what the requirements are in the HSC (I did VCE) but try to do dot points if you can, and basically cut anything down if it's not helping you to make your point.

I'd recommend having a chat to your teachers, too! They'll probably have some tips and given they're familiar with your work they'll probably also have a better idea of what to work on specifically.

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 06:37:11 pm »
Awesome guys, thanks very much!
Enlightening!

Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths