Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:15:50 am

Author Topic: Mod applications now open! :D  (Read 6556 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Mod applications now open! :D
« on: November 20, 2019, 09:26:58 am »
+21
Want to be our next moderator? Click here!
Applications close Friday 20 December.

I'm incredibly excited to announce that we're now taking applications to be a State Moderator! State Mods are crucial to the functioning of the ATARnotes community - in some ways that are highly visible and some others that are less so. Before we dive into that, here's some of the benefits of becoming a state mod:

✅ Get involved with AN behind the scenes, and really significantly help forge the direction of ATAR Notes in the future
✅ Can lead to other, also brilliant, opportunities - see here E.g. I'm now an author and have lectured for AN
✅ Help improve the education of thousands of students (yes, thousands is right)
✅ Amazing banter in hidden sections of the forums
✅ Looks fantastic on résumés/LinkedIn

Continuing on:

Should I apply?
Absolutely! There's no rule where you can only apply if you have a certain number of posts, or have been on ATAR Notes for a certain period of time. However, we do expect state moderators to have shown a reasonable level of activity and contributions in the past - feel free to apply if you're unsure and we'll make the call. We're looking for people who can take their allocated boards to the next level. People who are happy to lead and be innovative. People who are passionate about ATAR Notes

You don't need to have graduated. In fact, there's no restriction on year level. If you're passionate about it, apply!

ALSO - more on this below, but scores aren't that important. If you want to help out in a subject board it's useful to know the content, syllabus etc. well and a study score is one way of showing that but there's more to being a mod than just answering subject questions. I don't care if you got/get a <30 ATAR, the question is, are you passionate about atarnotes and will you lead the community?

What are the responsibilities?
Jamon wrote this about responsibilities for new mods & it's very accurate so go check that out :)

For a more metaphorical description, I once wrote this:
Quote from: Bri MT date=14.12.2018
Our job as moderators is not to reach the grandest destinations, but to provide support during the journey. We've all got our different approaches: some say "here's how you read the map, this is where you're at" (technical score discussion), same say "this is where you could aim for" (uni and admissions advice), some say "for this section, you might want to take this path, pack your bag this way" (subject and studying advice), some say "I'll bring you some distraction and levity" (games and casual chat), and many more. We take on a combination of different roles, but my impression from you so far has been "I understand how difficult this is; I will share the journey with you and walk together. I will help you find the strength to take the next step."  This is not in any way a less valid way of providing support.

Is secret mod banter really good enough to be a benefit?
Absolutely - you should go find out for yourself ;)

When's the deadline?
Applications close in exactly a month on 20th December.

Are you looking for a certain number of moderators?
No - we'll assess each application on a case-by-case basis. We're not going to say "we need two more!", or "we need ten more!", because that would be restrictive. We conscious of not overloading the forums with too many mods but we haven't set a max or min.   

What if I don't get in?
We encourage applications from lots of people - and you should absolutely apply and part of this also means that each year some people who apply won't get in. If you don't get in that doesn't mean we dislike you or that you aren't a valuable user, it just means that at that point in time the decision was that the role wouldn't be a good fit for you. This does not mean we don't see mod potential in you, but although there is no cap on numbers, we can't mod everyone. I would encourage people to take a mindset of being able to apply in future years if you don't get it now - so you may as well try now, right?

Know somebody who you think would be perfect for the role?
Give them a shout-out in this thread! Please also use this thread to ask any questions about the process - we will certainly be happy to help provide some clarity :D

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:31:20 am by Bri MT »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Mod applications now open! :D
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 09:51:27 am »
+17
Getting more involved with AN (I only really started posting after graduating, and was hesitant about becoming a mod at first) is one of the best things I've ever done - 10/10 recommend!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:54:43 am by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 10:57:29 am »
+16
Shoutout to @laura_ and @r1ckworthy who I personally believe would make great mods.  ;)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 11:36:11 am »
+17
Seconding what J41 said. I didn't get more involved with AN until I got into uni and it's a community I've made lifelong friends out of.

Please don't be afraid to apply! And please don't think you have to have finished school to be a mod - we bloody love having mods who are doing their VCE/HSC :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 03:37:33 pm »
+17
Reminder to make sure that if you're interested you get your application in & if you know someone who you would like to see transition into a new role let them know & make sure they see this thread!

Thank you to everyone who has gotten in their application so far :)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 09:17:28 pm »
+14
I recommend @r1ckworthy!

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 10:15:52 pm »
+12
Shoutout to:

• 💥laura_
  • 💥r1ckworthy
  • 💥DrDusk

All of these forum members have been a HUGE help over the forums and would all make great Moderators! ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:17:28 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 10:17:19 pm »
+13
Can I apply???

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 10:21:19 pm »
+11
Can I apply???
Anyone can! Whether your application is valid, however, is another story ;)

Good to see you, meithy
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 10:21:44 pm »
+18
Thanks for everyone who recommended me! I nominate the following people: erutepa, laura_, Owlbird83, funjirachi_, DrDusk and louisaaa01. These people have been an enormous help to me and others over the past few months! I'll probably come back to this list once I have thought of some more people!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 09:55:37 pm »
+9
Thanks for everyone who recommended me! I nominate the following people: erutepa, laura_
I second this, Erutepa and _laura would make great mods.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 04:43:54 pm »
+11
Cheeky ol' bump. For anybody considering applying, I strongly encourage you to do so!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 10:04:56 pm »
+8
Only just saw but Thanks for recommending me Coolmate and R1ckworthy!

I would love to but I'll give it a pass and apply next time because as of now my post count is way to low and there's obviously much better people that have applied lol.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 10:07:42 pm »
+6

I would love to but I'll give it a pass and apply next time because as of now my post count is way to low and there's obviously much better people that have applied lol.

Give it a go! The quality of your posts is pretty great; your answers are often in-depth and accurate, so I'd say you should still apply!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 10:10:05 pm »
+6

Hey DrDusk, this is just my opinion but I think that your post count is reasonably high and it looks like you make a significant contribution to the Maths Boards with your detailed and super helpful explanations, so why not apply? You've got nothing to lose and you may as well give it a go! Besides, I reckon you'd make a great mod ;)