Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:49:28 pm

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 662480 times)  Share 

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1920 on: July 08, 2018, 06:51:42 pm »
Hey Rui, I'm a bit confused about something in the ATAR Math ext. 2 topic notes...
With your LIATE rule, you said when we're integrating e^xsinx dx that we would differentiate sinx and integrate e^x.
But then in your solution, you integrated sinx and then differentiate e^x.

I feel like I'm missing something, but I don't know what... Pls help!

HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1921 on: July 08, 2018, 07:32:55 pm »
+3
Hey Rui, I'm a bit confused about something in the ATAR Math ext. 2 topic notes...
With your LIATE rule, you said when we're integrating e^xsinx dx that we would differentiate sinx and integrate e^x.
But then in your solution, you integrated sinx and then differentiate e^x.

I feel like I'm missing something, but I don't know what... Pls help!

My bad there, went against my own rule. I need to go fix that later.

Fortunately however, the order of the last two doesn't matter. I've found that with \( e^x\cos x\) I integrate cos, whereas with \(e^x \sin x\) I differentiate sin. But trying to say "LIAET" would be pretty hard lols

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1922 on: July 09, 2018, 05:34:14 pm »
Hei Rui, conics has been a topic I really struggle as i cant grasp what the question actually asks and the usefulness of sum of roots such as in this question: y=mx+1 is a chord of the hyperbola x^2 - 4y^2 = 16 , that passes through (0,1) for all real values of m. Find the locus of the midpoint of the chord as m varies. (This is a textbook question btw)
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1923 on: July 09, 2018, 06:24:23 pm »
+5
Hei Rui, conics has been a topic I really struggle as i cant grasp what the question actually asks and the usefulness of sum of roots such as in this question: y=mx+1 is a chord of the hyperbola x^2 - 4y^2 = 16 , that passes through (0,1) for all real values of m. Find the locus of the midpoint of the chord as m varies. (This is a textbook question btw)
These questions aren't hard because of the fact they're conics. What makes them hard is trying to find the shortcut that makes the problem a lot simpler, and actually tying the concepts together. This one you have here is one of the classic ones. Note that drawing a diagram is highly recommended.

Which, upon expanding and rearranging, becomes a quadratic. The roots are, again, the points of intersection.

At this point, I remark on what's significant. The points of intersection between the chord and the hyperbola are simply the endpoints of the chord itself. Therefore, the MIDPOINT of the chord is actually just the midpoint of the points of intersection. So the \(x\)-coordinate of the midpoint, actually turns out to be \( x= \frac{\alpha+\beta}{2} \).

We can now kill this problem by realising that rewriting \(x = \frac{\alpha+\beta}{2} \) gives us \(x = \frac{\text{sum of roots}}{2} \). And then boom, the \(x\)-coordinate of the midpoint of the chord has been found.

(Now plug into \(y=mx+1\) for the corresponding \(y\)-coordinate, before attempting to eliminate the parameter. Which is \(m\) in this case.)

A remark: We could've actually solved the quadratic to find what \(x_1\) and \(x_2\) explicitly are. But then we still need to compute \( \frac{x_1+x_2}{2} \) anyway. The sum of roots is just a more convenient shortcut for this purpose.

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #1924 on: July 09, 2018, 08:04:33 pm »
Hey, I am doing a volumes question where the equation y=x^3+1 between -1 to 0 is rotated about the x-axis and I have to use the slicing method.
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1925 on: July 09, 2018, 08:31:00 pm »
+2
Hey, I am doing a volumes question where the equation y=x^3+1 between -1 to 0 is rotated about the x-axis and I have to use the slicing method.

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1926 on: July 10, 2018, 07:33:08 am »

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #1927 on: July 10, 2018, 08:47:56 am »
+1

The volume is evaluated as:
\[ V = \pi \int_a^b y^2\,dx \]

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1928 on: July 10, 2018, 09:04:22 am »
ah ok so I don't even need slicing.. make sense...

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1929 on: July 10, 2018, 09:56:56 am »
+3

The slicing formula is \( \delta V = \pi r^2 \times \text{thickness}\). The square is supposed to be there for the radius, which in your case is just \(r = x^3+1\). You should go back and revise the formula.

In general, slicing eventually gives you the same integral as if you did it the old way.
They actually need to do a bit more work in MX2. I just skipped all the details in my earlier reply.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:14:06 pm by RuiAce »

vikasarkalgud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1930 on: July 10, 2018, 03:18:49 pm »
Hey, Rui, for complex locus, I don't get when I'm meant to be putting in open circles for intersections and dotted lines...coz I thought dotted lines were only for when there is no =, hence it cannot exist there. So this question I've attached..

Thankyou for help

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1931 on: July 10, 2018, 05:31:15 pm »
+2
Hey, Rui, for complex locus, I don't get when I'm meant to be putting in open circles for intersections and dotted lines...coz I thought dotted lines were only for when there is no =, hence it cannot exist there. So this question I've attached..

Thankyou for help
Part i) shouldn't have any open circles for that region..? It doesn't look like there's any open circles there which should be fine, since nothing is dotted here.

vikasarkalgud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1932 on: July 16, 2018, 06:24:12 pm »
Hey Rui,

for another subject, I don't really know what area, perimeter and volume actually are categorised as. What I mean is, length, height, perpendicular height, radius are dimensions. Therefore, using these, u can get area, perimeter, volume, circumference.etc. But what are these things actually called? These results?

Thankyou in advance

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1933 on: July 16, 2018, 08:50:56 pm »
Hei Rui,can you help with this induction q, its a cambridge 4u textbook question. I'm not quite sure what exactly im supposed to assume. Thank You in advance!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:57:09 pm by envisagator »
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1934 on: July 16, 2018, 10:04:03 pm »
+5
Hei Rui,can you help with this induction q, its a cambridge 4u textbook question. I'm not quite sure what exactly im supposed to assume. Thank You in advance!!!
Fairly sure you can continue with this question once I give you what to assume.

Hey Rui,

for another subject, I don't really know what area, perimeter and volume actually are categorised as. What I mean is, length, height, perpendicular height, radius are dimensions. Therefore, using these, u can get area, perimeter, volume, circumference.etc. But what are these things actually called? These results?

Thankyou in advance
Length, height, perpendicular height and radius are 1-dimensional concepts.

Perimeter is also a 1-dimensional concept; it's just a special type of length (just like how perpendicular height and radius are). Area, however, is a 2-dimensional concept. Volume is a 3-dimensional concept.

The radian measure of an angle is a special case of a 0-dimensional concept.

Colloquially, the word "dimensions" typically just refers to lengths, especially when you're dealing with a volume. But in science (yes, this is actually more of a science question than a maths question), the dimensions refer to the SI base units that you require to build up a new concept. Volume involves 3 length-dimensions, because its SI unit is m^3, which is built from 3 SI base units. Force involves a mass dimension and a length dimension, PER 2 time-dimensions, because its SI unit is kg m s^-2.

(As an extra example, we can get a bit bizarre, and argue voltage involves a mass dimension and length dimension, PER 3 time-dimensions and current-dimension, because its SI unit is kg m s^-3 A^-1. But it gets a bit bizarre, because there's debate surrounding whether current is the dimension or electric charge is the dimension.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:16:04 pm by RuiAce »