Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:11:04 pm

Author Topic: North Sydney Boys YEAR 9 TEST INFO/HELP/TIPS? [NSW]  (Read 5053 times)  Share 

ThatOneGuy

• Adventurer
  • I would tell you a joke about Sodium, but Na
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Anonymous
  • School Grad Year: 2019
North Sydney Boys YEAR 9 TEST INFO/HELP/TIPS? [NSW]
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:09:44 pm »
Hello fellow students.

I am a student in NSW applying for North Sydney Boys High School [NSBHS], I'm currently in year 8. And applying for year 9, the test is within a weeks time from now (roughly), so you can understand that I'm going through a lot of pressure right now and I've been practising quite a lot. Now that's the intro, let's go to the main point.

So, I've been studying and all, but I feel kind of lost. I want to know what type of questions there might be in the MATHEMATICS portion of the test, (if questions are too specific, topics are fine as well). The test will consist of Mathematics and Writing. It would be greatly appreciated (I mean appreciated A LOT, I mean if you can help me out, you're a LEGEND!), and basically I would love it if someone experienced could help me out and by experienced I mean someone who is probably in NSBHS and knows what might come in the test, OR someone who might be in higher grades than me and possibly have done selective tests for Year 9 in NSW.

I don't mind if you're going to reply from Victoria or somewhere else (Dunno if you guys have the same curriculum as NSW), but I would much prefer experienced students from NSW to help me out here. But, any answer I can get in this thread will be appreciated. ANY information regarding the test will help, tips/tricks and MOST of all... Some topics on MATHEMATICS which might come in the test.

That's all I guess...

Thanks in advance!  :D ;D :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:12:55 pm by ThatOneGuy »

pixelgraphicsful

• Trendsetter
  • Don't watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going
  • School: Highvale Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2020
Re: North Sydney Boys YEAR 9 TEST INFO/HELP/TIPS? [NSW]
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »
+3
Hey ThatOneGuy!

This selective schools section has only been about selective schools in Victoria as far as I know.
Melbourne High, Suzanne Cory, Macrob, Nossal, John Monash, I'm sure you'll agree with me if you sift around on the forum for a bit. Hence, most if not all of the people that are actively discussing about these schools will inevitably be from Victoria. Feel free to prove me wrong, but I think I have a point here.
The bottom line is, don't get your hopes too high for someone from NSW to reply on the forum. :)

Anyway, I live in Victoria, participate in the Victorian curriculum e.t.c
I would however assume that the standard for the NSW selective schools will be similar.
I have never heard of North Sydney Boys High School but I will give you tips based on my knowledge of the standard for Melbourne High Test. Arguably the hardest to enter in the selective schooling exam.

The mathematics section will be a race of time. There will probably(correct me if I'm wrong) be 50 questions in 30 minutes. Your goal is to be able to finish all of them, not attempt, finish. Try to race along the questions while still being accurate. However, since you are down to the last week, practising for speed will be much harder. Still, keep in mind as a pre-requisite that you should try to complete all of them.

As aforementioned, you're one week before the test and tips I can give you from practise exams is to: eat before taking the test, but don't overdo it, you'll find it really hard to concentrate on the exam if you're hungry. Clear out distractions. As in, don't watch any sort of media of play any sort of game the week before the test. You may be inclined to think about the game/tv show/movie/book on the test, losing time. This applies for all test, not just mathematics.  The last tip is, skip the question if you don't know how to, better to skip a hard question you'll probably get wrong and work on easier questions you'll probably get right. Also, with the skipping, don't leave it blank, guess an answer, takes forever to fix if you write the next question's answer in the previous one.

Now for what the test will be about. I'd like to remind you that this is based on the Melbourne High standard but I'm betting they will be similar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a post from "pi" a moderator of the forum. I think it'll help
Maths - Much the same as above, drawing things out can be great. Between now and the exam have a look over your basic maths. Can you solve linear equations with ease? Can you calculate volumes and areas of shapes? Can you do multiplication of big numbers quickly? Do you understand simple and compound interest? Are you confident with dealing with percentages? Do you know what SOH CAH TOA is? Do you know Pythagoras' Theorem? Do you know your indices (x0 = 1, remember that!)? You should have these Year 9 maths concepts in the bag through your preparation or schooling. Remember: it may be faster to use trial and error (ie. using the answers they give and working backwards from the question to find the correct solution) rather than solving out a question, keep that in mind if you think it's going to be a long solve.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the whole post is here:
Last minute tips for the selective school exams

The topics in the maths test will include most if not all of these:
Algebra, trinomials, fractions, area, volume, surface area, surds money i.e profit and loss, trigonometry, indices, rates and proportion, pythagoras, measurement, geometry, statistics and probability.

You should know these topics very well, as in able to identify the type of question and quickly work out the solution. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about trigonometry but there will most likely be a few questions on it. Be prepared for it! 90% of people don't expect trigonometry. But the test is late year 9 standard and early year 10 so trigonometry is quite normal. Also, you should know pi up to 3 digits at least.

Once you understand the above topics, you should work on your speed. This includes, working out simple processes in your head and multiplying/divide/plus/minus equations quickly. Being able to work out basic processes quickly is the structure of success in the maths test. A helpful channel I found is
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7w5aTnt7YeXBcVCY0mgFw
Keep in mind the topics are equally important. ;)

Anyway, best of luck to you.
PixelGraphicsful (>‿◠)✌

ThatOneGuy

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:27:00 pm »
Thanks!

As you said, I have realised that this website is mostly a Victorian based website, and I knew that before posting that thread. I saw a lot of views, but not a single reply. So anyways, I already read Pi's thread on the selective high schools test, and that actually made me question whether the curriculum of NSW and VIC are the same. The test I'll be doing here in NSW won't be a 'race against time' sort of test, but there will be a lot of pressure. Regarding you saying that the curriculum will be same, I hope you're correct.

And thanks again for helping me out! :D

BTW: The VICTORIAN test is pretty tough, I had a brief look. If you're going to do the test in Year 8, why are the questions like 'Late year 9 and early year 10' type of questions? Pretty challenging, but then again, apparently the North Sydney Boys test is impossible, hopefully those are just rumours.

Hope I get in...

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:08:36 pm »
BTW: The VICTORIAN test is pretty tough, I had a brief look. If you're going to do the test in Year 8, why are the questions like 'Late year 9 and early year 10' type of questions?

Probably because there are only a few selective schools in Vic (4 for yr9 entry), while NSW has many many more. So I guess the default base standard is higher.

Unfortunately I don't really have much to add that isn't in my thread, I have a few mates who went to Ruse and other schools, but they went to prep courses (eg. James An) and can't remember much more about it haha :P

ThatOneGuy

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:16:30 pm »
Oh. Ned Nerb (Brenden I guess?) PM'd me about you knowing some people from North Sydney and you were going to ask them my question. I guess there isn't any information... :/

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:24:09 pm »
Oh. Ned Nerb (Brenden I guess?) PM'd me about you knowing some people from North Sydney and you were going to ask them my question. I guess there isn't any information... :/

Yeah unfortunately they didn't have much to add (other than what I just said above) :/ Good luck!

ThatOneGuy

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:30:52 pm »
Do you think the NSBHS test will be similar difficulty to the Victorian Selective test? And do you also think that the stuff you mentioned in your thread about Maths and Writing might have the same topics in the test I'll be doing?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 07:41:57 pm »
Do you think the NSBHS test will be similar difficulty to the Victorian Selective test? And do you also think that the stuff you mentioned in your thread about Maths and Writing might have the same topics in the test I'll be doing?

I'd imagine the maths can't be much different, but I have to admit I haven't really looked into it (maybe chuck it a Google if you haven;t already?)

ThatOneGuy

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »
I have ages ago... No clue on what I can expect... Which sucks...