Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:32:37 pm

Author Topic: Enrolling for monash - re. electives  (Read 1473 times)  Share 

MagicalMadness

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Enrolling for monash - re. electives
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:35:22 pm »
hey everyone!
so i got an offer for monash today and am enrolling but i had a couple queries if anyone would be able to help.
1. For biomedical science is it correct that on WES we don't have to put down anything for the areas of study?
2. I have two electives to choose for this year, the first one i chose is ATS2143 and I think i will put down ATS2144 as my elective for semester 2 but if it turns out I don't enjoy doing japanese as much as i thought would i be able to change my elective for the second semester during the year?
VCE- Biology, Chemistry, English Language, Japanese SL, Physics

2021- Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Enrolling for monash - re. electives
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:11 pm »
+3
hey everyone!
so i got an offer for monash today and am enrolling but i had a couple queries if anyone would be able to help.
1. For biomedical science is it correct that on WES we don't have to put down anything for the areas of study?
2. I have two electives to choose for this year, the first one i chose is ATS2143 and I think i will put down ATS2144 as my elective for semester 2 but if it turns out I don't enjoy doing japanese as much as i thought would i be able to change my elective for the second semester during the year?
1. Pretty sure that is correct. You dont really have a major in biomed.
2. Yep can definitely can change units mid-year just make sure you select something for now.

MagicalMadness

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:42:58 pm »
1. Pretty sure that is correct. You dont really have a major in biomed.
2. Yep can definitely can change units mid-year just make sure you select something for now.

Ok cool - thanks sine!

Also I’m planning on enrolling in Japanese intermediate (ats2143) as on the website it says this is the entry level after VCE Japanese. However, I can’t to this by myself as I haven’t really done the prerequisite of the introductory level. I think I have to manually enrol in this by contacting the arts department but I thought I’d just ask if anyone has experience with this type of enrolment.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:01:41 am »
+2
Ok cool - thanks sine!

Also I’m planning on enrolling in Japanese intermediate (ats2143) as on the website it says this is the entry level after VCE Japanese. However, I can’t to this by myself as I haven’t really done the prerequisite of the introductory level. I think I have to manually enrol in this by contacting the arts department but I thought I’d just ask if anyone has experience with this type of enrolment.
You need to take the proficiency test (I think a link is found on the Japanese studies page or something) and then contact Biomed faculty student services, I think (otherwise it’s Arts faculty student services), to let you have it as an elective.

P.S. ATS2143 is practically VCE Japanese + a few extra things and ATS2144 is where things get a little harder and you begin to learn 敬語 (Keigo, the “polite/respectful” language).
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 02:35:13 pm »
Hi, I'm in need of some help choosing units and a major for a bachelor of science!
I am currently enrolling in a bachelor of science and need to choose a major and units to enrol in, although I want to study medicine once I finish this degree. What units should I be taking which will assist me in getting into medicine as well as the best major to choose?

Also, next year I want to try and transfer into biomedical science do I need to take any specific units to transfer? :)

Mod edit: Please do not duplicate post in future. I’ve deleted the other one with the same content as your post was in a thread for only subject reviews.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:30:51 pm by AngelWings »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 07:21:17 pm »
+4
Hi, I'm in need of some help choosing units and a major for a bachelor of science!
I am currently enrolling in a bachelor of science and need to choose a major and units to enrol in, although I want to study medicine once I finish this degree. What units should I be taking which will assist me in getting into medicine as well as the best major to choose?
Generally you don’t have to pick a major in first year. Although the enrolment process does ask you to select one, it usually doesn’t “lock” you into it once selected i.e. you should still be able to change it afterwards if you change direction.

As for units, I’d recommend taking the first year Biology stream (BIO1011 and either BIO1022 or BIO1042, though I’d personally say BIO1022 of those two, as that’s usually the prereq for a lot of second year bio units from memory), as there’s not really an option to do any other closer units in first year unless you did the Extension Program Biology units, which IIRC, are BIO1011 and BIO1022 anyway. You’ll also need to take another stream e.g. Chemistry, and a maths/ stats unit to fulfil the BSci requirements for first year. You can see a number of first year science units here.

As for major, info for that can be found here including what units you need to do. (Majority of these require BIO1011/1022 as prereqs from memory, but please check and take the appropriate first year units so you fulfil prereqs for these second and third year units on this list.)  Majors that will be considered include: Pharmacology, Physiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Microbiology or Genetics, though I will note that probably the best ones to pick from are Immunology, Biochem or Physiology (as these will cover at least 3 or more of the 5 units required anyway, genetics will too but I wouldn’t really recommend for medicine - shocking, I know*).

Also, next year I want to try and transfer into biomedical science do I need to take any specific units to transfer? :)
None that I am aware of, but I would ask Science Faculty Student Services about this. You might be able to sneak in a few biomed units as electives but you’d need to confirm and clear it with them before you can do that.

* Genetics is under the School of Biological Sciences at Monash, which doesn’t really focus as much on humans (and more environmental, ecological and evolutionary biology). You do cover some human genetics in the genetics major, but probably not as much as would be helpful for a med hopeful. (At least this is when I did my extended major in genetics back in 2015-2017.)
VTAC Info Thread

MagicalMadness

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 12:03:33 pm »
Hey
I'm thinking of just doing japanese for a semester (if i really enjoy it then i might do it for semester 2 as well). Because of this i was looking at what else i could do instead. I'm not too sure what to do. I was thinking linguistics (ATS1339) but I don't really know if that's the type of thing i wanna do - i did have a look at the subject review but there was only one so didn't get too much insight. I was also thinking of doing chem but from the reviews it seems that the semester one chem unit is more interesting and i don't know if i would be at some what of a disadvantage if i did chem2 and not chem1? Does anyone have any recommended units that they enjoyed? I might just but down the second sem of japanese as I know I'll be able to change it later in the year.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 05:39:47 pm »
Hey
I'm thinking of just doing japanese for a semester (if i really enjoy it then i might do it for semester 2 as well). Because of this i was looking at what else i could do instead. I'm not too sure what to do. I was thinking linguistics (ATS1339) but I don't really know if that's the type of thing i wanna do - i did have a look at the subject review but there was only one so didn't get too much insight. I was also thinking of doing chem but from the reviews it seems that the semester one chem unit is more interesting and i don't know if i would be at some what of a disadvantage if i did chem2 and not chem1? Does anyone have any recommended units that they enjoyed? I might just but down the second sem of japanese as I know I'll be able to change it later in the year.
re: Japanese
Looking at your signature, I think you’ll find ATS2143 (Japanese Intermediate) quite manageable. If you scored highly i.e. 40+ raw SS, I’ll just say that Japanese Proficient is no easy feat.

re: linguistics
Hopefully Joseph41 will respond.  They did a linguistics major and probably took the unit.

re: Sem 2 Chem (CHM1022/ CHM1052) 
I did CHM1022 (2015) before I did CHM1011 (in second year first sem, 2016), and I didn’t have any issues at all. I missed like one concept in total from memory and that was resolved by simply asking a lecturer “oh what is [insert theory]?” and they were happy to answer. If you’ve done VCE Chem, there’ll be basically no issues. (Side note: I actually preferred CHM1022 over CHM1011.)

re: Recommended units
Honestly, depends on your interests and goals. Do you have any parameters to go by e.g. bludge unit because need high WAM, fewer contact hours because work/ COVID, general areas you enjoy, etc.?
VTAC Info Thread