Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:23:27 am

Author Topic: Headstart for Bachelor of Science Monash  (Read 805 times)  Share 

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
Headstart for Bachelor of Science Monash
« on: January 06, 2021, 12:04:25 am »
Hello

I'm most likely studying a Bachelor of Science at Monash this year and am also most likely taking:
- BIO1011: Blueprints for Life
- CHM1011: Chemistry 1
- SCI1020: Introduction to Statistical Reasoning
- ATS2171: Korean introductory 1

I've still got roughly 2 months until uni starts but parents are nagging me to start studying and be prepared and I guess I've got a lot of time to kill. How should I start learning and preparing for these subjects? I'm planning on spending roughly 30 minutes each day on each subject with slightly more time dedicated to Korean just due to it being completely new. Would Khan Academy be a good resource or will revising the 3/4 Bio and Chem Textbooks be helpful?

Also on a completely separate topic, would I be able to fit my course into 4 days a week and roughly how long would each day be?

Thanks
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Headstart for Bachelor of Science Monash
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:42:31 am »
+8
My advice would just be to take a well deserved break and enjoy the downtime because you can do well without preparing right now. If you really have to study something for Korean, learning to recognise all the consonants and vowels would be the best place to start. I did a minor in Korean studies so happy to answer any questions you have.

Timetabling: entirely depends on how Monash end up slotting in classes, but it's possible. There tends to be a lot of flexibility in first year units because of how many people are in them (meaning more choices for time). I don't know when the dev updates this (its only updated for semester 2, 2020 right now), but you can use https://will.io/timetables/ to help you insert your timetable preferences when they open.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 03:00:48 am »
+8
Hello

I'm most likely studying a Bachelor of Science at Monash this year and am also most likely taking:
- BIO1011: Blueprints for Life
- CHM1011: Chemistry 1
- SCI1020: Introduction to Statistical Reasoning
- ATS2171: Korean introductory 1

I've still got roughly 2 months until uni starts but parents are nagging me to start studying and be prepared and I guess I've got a lot of time to kill. How should I start learning and preparing for these subjects? I'm planning on spending roughly 30 minutes each day on each subject with slightly more time dedicated to Korean just due to it being completely new. Would Khan Academy be a good resource or will revising the 3/4 Bio and Chem Textbooks be helpful?

Also on a completely separate topic, would I be able to fit my course into 4 days a week and roughly how long would each day be?

Thanks

CHM1011 and BIO1011 are, in themselves, revisions of units 3/4 chemistry and biology (with a little bit extra added). And SCI1020 is honestly a joke of a unit - even if you're bad at maths, you'll likely get a HD (highest grade) with minimal effort.

Take the break - I know it feels weird after the chaos that was year 12, but uni doesn't need this much effort to still do well in, and rest is damn important. If anything, high school works you for more than you should ever feel the need to. If you want to feel like you're still doing something academically active or productive, learn to code. Extremely valuable skill in science, no matter what you end up doing later in your degree.

As for timetabling - definitely possible, BUT I want to stress that if you have a full day of back to back labs, it's honestly better to just take a 5 day week. Days filled with constant labs are more draining than you could possibly understand, and it's not worth putting yourself through that just so you have a 3-day weekend to do other things

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 05:35:10 pm »
Ah okay thanks for the replies everyone!
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!