Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:46:58 am

Author Topic: Determining entry level of language (Chinese studies)  (Read 532 times)  Share 

tealeaves

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Determining entry level of language (Chinese studies)
« on: December 06, 2020, 08:55:25 pm »
I'm hoping to start a diploma of languages (Chinese studies) at monash next year. I know I need to take a level entry test to determine my entry level but I'm not sure how accurate it would be at determining my level and want a bit of advice. I did VCE Chinese as a second language and scored a 33 raw. Does anyone know what level I could be entering at? I'm guessing I could be at the intermediate level which is the 2nd entry point but I'm not really sure? I don't want to end up entering at the wrong level. Should I be consulting the chinese program for advice?

One more question. Since language applications open in mid January, should I take the level entry test near that time or should I just take it now?

Any input will be appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:00:41 pm by tealeaves »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Determining entry level of language (Chinese studies)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 10:14:46 pm »
+3
You’ll most likely be starting from Intermediate Chinese. I took both Chinese and Japanese tests, and they’re relatively accurate.

Take the test closer to the date, as that’ll make things a bit easier. Just make sure you take it at least a few days before you need it, as it took me a few business days to get a response (even though I took it 5 years ago).

You can check all this with the Chinese program to double check if you like as it’s been a while since I did it.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread