Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:01:08 am

Author Topic: Advanced English Module B - Essay  (Read 3649 times)

ak74224

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Advanced English Module B - Essay
« on: August 13, 2019, 10:33:39 pm »
Hey this is a practice essay I have rewritten on TS Eliot's Rhapsody on a Windy Night and The Hollow Men. I would really appreciated it someone/anyone could give me some feedback on it.
Thank you

Question - Eliot’s poetry has been described as ‘a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life’.
To what extent does this perspective align with your understanding of Eliot’s poetry? 
In your response, make detailed reference to at least TWO of the poems set for study.

Through the use of modernist themes and characteristics, TS Eliot conveys to responders a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life. This portrait is expertly displayed within both The Hollow Men and Rhapsody on a Windy Night, as both poems exhibit the desolation of the respective narrators surrounding environment, with social disorder and an atmosphere of unease, ruining any preconceived notions of peace.

The theme of disillusionment is one of the most, if not the most, obvious example of modernism within the poem The Hollow Men. This had been in direct reference to the end of the Frist World War when returning soldiers were faced with returning to a home which had changed completely while they had been at war. The aforementioned theme is exhibited within the lines “Waking alone/At the hour when we are/Trembling with tenderness/Lips that would kiss/Form prayers to broken stone.” Contrast is clearly employed within the quote to reflect the emotions experienced by veterans following the end of the war. The use of the collective tern “we” within the extract conveys to responders that despite being physical within one another’s company, the Hollow Men are emotionally alone, hence conveying that a society which has become emotionally and spiritually isolated due to being unable to survive in a constantly changing world. Additionally, the line “prayers to broken stone” is representative of the broken faith of the Hollow Men. However, while the men no longer believe in god, they continue to pray to something that they know does not exist.  This displays humanities inherent search of consistence in a world of constant of turmoil, with individuals clinging to religion to provide meaning to their lives. This motif of a broken structure is further built upon with the lines “There, the eyes are, / Sunlight on a broken column.” The stone imagery evident is once against used to showcase the disillusioned nature of society and hence aids in creating the apocalyptic atmosphere of the poem. Nevertheless, the use of the word “sunlight” is representative of the fragile hope possessed by the Hollow Men and to some extent humanity. This forms a sense of uncertainty within the poem as despite viewing humanity and the world to broken, they Hollow Men continue to believe they will eventually experience peace. Through the use of the modernist theme of disillusionment, TS Eliot’s poem The Hollow Men provides a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life.

Similarly, to TS Eliot’s The Hollow Men, Rhapsody on a Windy Night is a poem which provides a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life. While within the poet, TS Eliot has once again used the modernist theme of disillusionment to create the setting of the text, syntax is observed to be primarily employed to format the overarching mystical and secretive atmosphere which defines Rhapsody on a Windy Night. This is chiefly displayed in the following extract “Held in a lunar synthesis, /Whispering lunar incantations/Dissolve the floors of memory/And all its clear relations, /Its divisions and precisions”. In the previously mentioned quote, the poet specifically chose to write using short lines, which have been limited to 3 to 5 words. This lack of extensive and often unnecessary description leaves the meaning behind the “lunar incantations” almost completely up to responder interpretation. While most obviously the “lunar incantations” could be in refence to the supposed mystical power possessed by the moon, responders could interpret the phrase to be in reference to alcoholism and intoxication experienced by veterans of the Great War, as many soldiers chose to consume alcohol in order to forget the haunting memories of the war front, hence referring to the turmoil soldier experience when reintegrating themselves back into modern life. The sibilance evident within the quote, further aids in creating an atmosphere of uncertainty within the poem as the  /s/ and /sh/ sounds in words like "whispering," "synthesis," "dissolve," "relations," and "precisions" conveying that perhaps the narrator himself is no longer in control of his own actions and cannot interpret his own and the actions of other around him, as akin to the inebriated. Through the use of syntax, TS Eliot’s poem Rhapsody on a Wind Night provides an extensively disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life.

TS Eliot is often regarded as being one of the forefathers of modernism due to his expert employment of modernist themes and characteristics throughout his poem. This has been displayed within the poem The Hollow Men where the modernist theme of disillusionment has been used to make contextual links to the end of the Great War and veteran soldier’s struggles to reacquaint themselves within modern life. Similarly, modernist context was employed within Rhapsody on a Windy Night in addition to syntax to create an atmosphere of uncertainty as reflective of the turmoil soldier’s experienced when returning to modern life.  In summary, it is through the excellently executed use of modernist characteristics and themes that TS Eliot’s poems Rhapsody on a Windy Night and The Hollow Men are able to portray a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life.

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Advanced English Module B - Essay
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:22:48 pm »
+4
Hey this is a practice essay I have rewritten on TS Eliot's Rhapsody on a Windy Night and The Hollow Men. I would really appreciated it someone/anyone could give me some feedback on it.
Thank you

Question - Eliot’s poetry has been described as ‘a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life’.
To what extent does this perspective align with your understanding of Eliot’s poetry? 
In your response, make detailed reference to at least TWO of the poems set for study.

Through the use of modernist themes and characteristics, TS Eliot conveys to responders a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life. This portrait is expertly displayed within both The Hollow Men and Rhapsody on a Windy Night, as both poems exhibit the desolation of the respective narrators surrounding environment, with social disorder and an atmosphere of unease, ruining any preconceived notions of peace.

The theme of disillusionment is one of the most, if not the most, obvious example of modernism within the poem The Hollow Men. This had been in direct reference to the end of the Frist World War when returning soldiers were faced with returning to a home which had changed completely while they had been at war. The aforementioned theme is exhibited within the lines “Waking alone/At the hour when we are/Trembling with tenderness/Lips that would kiss/Form prayers to broken stone.” Contrast is clearly employed within the quote to reflect the emotions experienced by veterans following the end of the war. The use of the collective tern “we” within the extract conveys to responders that despite being physical within one another’s company, the Hollow Men are emotionally alone, hence conveying that a society which has become emotionally and spiritually isolated due to being unable to survive in a constantly changing world. Additionally, the line “prayers to broken stone” is representative of the broken faith of the Hollow Men. However, while the men no longer believe in god, they continue to pray to something that they know does not exist.  This displays humanities inherent search of consistence in a world of constant of turmoil, with individuals clinging to religion to provide meaning to their lives. This motif of a broken structure is further built upon with the lines “There, the eyes are, / Sunlight on a broken column.” The stone imagery evident is once against used to showcase the disillusioned nature of society and hence aids in creating the apocalyptic atmosphere of the poem. Nevertheless, the use of the word “sunlight” is representative of the fragile hope possessed by the Hollow Men and to some extent humanity. This forms a sense of uncertainty within the poem as despite viewing humanity and the world to broken, they Hollow Men continue to believe they will eventually experience peace. Through the use of the modernist theme of disillusionment, TS Eliot’s poem The Hollow Men provides a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life.

Similarly, to TS Eliot’s The Hollow Men, Rhapsody on a Windy Night is a poem which provides a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life. While within the poet, TS Eliot has once again used the modernist theme of disillusionment to create the setting of the text, syntax is observed to be primarily employed to format the overarching mystical and secretive atmosphere which defines Rhapsody on a Windy Night. This is chiefly displayed in the following extract “Held in a lunar synthesis, /Whispering lunar incantations/Dissolve the floors of memory/And all its clear relations, /Its divisions and precisions”. In the previously mentioned quote, the poet specifically chose to write using short lines, which have been limited to 3 to 5 words. This lack of extensive and often unnecessary description leaves the meaning behind the “lunar incantations” almost completely up to responder interpretation. While most obviously the “lunar incantations” could be in refence to the supposed mystical power possessed by the moon, responders could interpret the phrase to be in reference to alcoholism and intoxication experienced by veterans of the Great War, as many soldiers chose to consume alcohol in order to forget the haunting memories of the war front, hence referring to the turmoil soldier experience when reintegrating themselves back into modern life. The sibilance evident within the quote, further aids in creating an atmosphere of uncertainty within the poem as the  /s/ and /sh/ sounds in words like "whispering," "synthesis," "dissolve," "relations," and "precisions" conveying that perhaps the narrator himself is no longer in control of his own actions and cannot interpret his own and the actions of other around him, as akin to the inebriated. Through the use of syntax, TS Eliot’s poem Rhapsody on a Wind Night provides an extensively disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life.

TS Eliot is often regarded as being one of the forefathers of modernism due to his expert employment of modernist themes and characteristics throughout his poem. This has been displayed within the poem The Hollow Men where the modernist theme of disillusionment has been used to make contextual links to the end of the Great War and veteran soldier’s struggles to reacquaint themselves within modern life. Similarly, modernist context was employed within Rhapsody on a Windy Night in addition to syntax to create an atmosphere of uncertainty as reflective of the turmoil soldier’s experienced when returning to modern life.  In summary, it is through the excellently executed use of modernist characteristics and themes that TS Eliot’s poems Rhapsody on a Windy Night and The Hollow Men are able to portray a disturbing portrait of uncertainty amidst the turmoil of modern life.

I like how you have looked outside the text and referenced human nature’s understanding as it’s important to consider textual integrity and your textual evidence is well explained in relation to the effect on the audience, and I like how you kept linking back to the statement. I feel like you intro could be more argumentative in regards to determining the value, like to a great extent, certain extent this conveys etc if you get what I mean to show your stance straight away and make contextual links as the poems in the intro to show more understanding of the time period, and how that affects how the text is perceived overtime and it’s meaning. And when you link back to your topic sentence at the end of every body paragraph, affirm it more with words like therefore, thus to make it clearer that it is the end of that argument in relation to your thesis. For the conclusion, I feel like you could say in summary at the start of it just to finish stronger. Don’t forget quotations for the names of the poems and check for spelling cause I feel like some words like reference are spelt wrong but I guess that’s cause you’re in a rush but it’s important to edit.

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Advanced English Module B - Essay
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:25:02 pm »
+1
I like how you have looked outside the text and referenced human nature’s understanding as it’s important to consider textual integrity and your textual evidence is well explained in relation to the effect on the audience, and I like how you kept linking back to the statement. I feel like you intro could be more argumentative in regards to determining the value, like to a great extent, certain extent this conveys etc if you get what I mean to show your stance straight away and make contextual links as the poems in the intro to show more understanding of the time period, and how that affects how the text is perceived overtime and it’s meaning. And when you link back to your topic sentence at the end of every body paragraph, affirm it more with words like therefore, thus to make it clearer that it is the end of that argument in relation to your thesis. For the conclusion, I feel like you could say in summary at the start of it just to finish stronger. Don’t forget quotations for the names of the poems and check for spelling cause I feel like some words like reference are spelt wrong but I guess that’s cause you’re in a rush but it’s important to edit.

And always revise over your sentences to see if they make sense with word choice