Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:36:33 am

Author Topic: HSC Major Works, The HSC- Major Work!  (Read 21975 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: HSC Major Works, The HSC- Major Work!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 12:30:11 pm »
It's coming to a really bittersweet time for me with these submissions. I have been so attached to all my works and to realise that one of them will be submitted for marking on Monday is almost too hard to believe. I will end today's submission by saying that I am feeling good about these submissions and cannot wait to surprise NESA with my numerous submitted works  ;D Thanks for reading today's entry and have a good day!

I can relate to this very much in the sense, this time last year I too cannot believe I have to let go of my babies (my BOW and my PIP) and submit them to NESA. It is absolutely amazing that you have managed to create and produce four FANTASTIC major works during your HSC year and you need to commend yourself for this amazing achievement.

Good luck with the rest of your hsc year Angelina! ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 09:20:30 pm »
+4
I can relate to this very much in the sense, this time last year I too cannot believe I have to let go of my babies (my BOW and my PIP) and submit them to NESA. It is absolutely amazing that you have managed to create and produce four FANTASTIC major works during your HSC year and you need to commend yourself for this amazing achievement.

Good luck with the rest of your hsc year Angelina! ;D

Hey, Bea!

Thank you so much for suggesting this thread to me  ;D I was able to make an online portfolio for all my major works here which has been amazing for me to share my journey with everyone on ATARNOTES  ;D As promised, I have an update of my BOW which I actually made three more panels for! I accidentally cut my wooden frames wrong (whoops) and had twelve pieces too short to use. Still a bit attached to my soldering iron and inks, I decided to spontaneously add another three works to my composition! These pieces contrast the other ones because they have a brown-monochrome colour scheme, as opposed to being rainbow like the others, are square instead of rectangle, and will be centred differently (still subject to change). I think they are quite cute  ;D I am still in awe that I pulled this off in a week and look forward to showing the last few photos of my BOW before I submit it. Not ready to part with it yet  ;) I'll make sure I do you proud  ;D ;D

Angelina  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 07:14:47 pm »
+4
06/08/2018

Hey, everyone!

My goodness, it was an emotional day today. Handing in the PIP was exactly as past students have described it. I felt like a huge boulder was lifted off my shoulders, but proceeded to feel quite bittersweet about submitting my first major work in for marking. It was particularly sad to see my file change from 'Personal Interest Project' to just my student number and "PIP" following afterwards. Although not much has changed, losing that control over it felt more real once I converted it to the PDF  :'(

Just a short entry today as I will be back on track with studying for trials. My next hurdle is Extension 2 English which is due on the last day of my trials  :'( My Major Work itself has been finalised but the Reflection Statement is at a standstill. I hope this will become more clear to me why during this week before the exams come flooding in. Have a great evening and thanks for reading!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 11:03:42 pm »
+2
06/08/2018

Hey, everyone!

My goodness, it was an emotional day today. Handing in the PIP was exactly as past students have described it. I felt like a huge boulder was lifted off my shoulders, but proceeded to feel quite bittersweet about submitting my first major work in for marking. It was particularly sad to see my file change from 'Personal Interest Project' to just my student number and "PIP" following afterwards. Although not much has changed, losing that control over it felt more real once I converted it to the PDF  :'(

Congratulations Angelina!! Amazing accomplishment - Your major year just got a tiny little bit less major ;)

Good luck with Trials and with that EX2 Reflection, bet it will flow soon! Just let your brain churn it in the background ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »
+1
Congratulations Angelina!! Amazing accomplishment - Your major year just got a tiny little bit less major ;)

Good luck with Trials and with that EX2 Reflection, bet it will flow soon! Just let your brain churn it in the background ;D

Hey, Jamon!

Thank you very much  ;D I still have some more major submissions to go before it's over but it definitely has just become a little less woah  :D I'm excited to get Trials out of the way too so I can get ready for the big exams. It'll be a big relief to hand Ext 2 in as well at the end of all of that. Big scary times ahead but I'm looking forward to it  ;D Have a good one!

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 02:35:33 pm »
+3
23/08/2018

Hey, everyone!

With my final Trials exam tomorrow in the morning, it has finally occurred to me how quickly all the Major Work deadlines will be coming along after this big exam block I have just had  :o More importantly, Extension 2 English is due tomorrow!  ;D

My Major Work has finally been complete and is ready for a final edit tonight before the big day tomorrow submitting it in after my Extension 1 English exam in the morning  ;D ;D Writing 'Vivace' has been an incredible journey for me. I have been writing poetry ever since I first fell in love with the medium in Year 9. I had a brilliant teacher who saw my potential to write poetry and it was his belief in me that I chose to make the decision to do Extension 2 English. It was because of him that I was so motivated to compose my own suite of poems and I hope to send him a copy of it. Although he no longer teaches at my school, his words and impact on me was what made this Major Work possible!

I also want to mention close friends who have willingly read my Major Work over the course of its creation and helped me learn more about myself as a person and a writer. One of the biggest challenges for me was bringing a part of myself into the work because initially, I wanted to write from another persona's perspective. Choosing to write from personal experience, especially about music which is such an important part of my life, was a large fear I had from becoming too attached to my writing. In saying this, the attachment I have to 'Vivace' is now everlasting. It has been a long process of research, creating and refining but perhaps this is what made the course so liberating for me  :)

To finish off my entry today, I just want to wish all other Extension 2 English students good luck with their Major Works and I hope the experience was just as life changing as it was for me  :D My conclusion of the Reflection Statement summarises my experience very well.

"My Major Work encourages spontaneity and a primeval instinct inherent to the audience to surface - to live in art. The process of reconciliation in my Major Work will serve as an aide-memoire of the creative trajectories offered in music. In essence, ‘Vivace’ is a microcosm of the musician that, regardless of how difficult it may be to hold permanence in guiding the spiritual fire for others, has achieved what Alfred Corn inspired for me to strive for when embarking on this course, that “before all else, (the poetry) at least (been able) to please the author.”;D

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 03:24:19 pm »
+2
Love it, Angelina -- it's been great following your Major Work journey! Hope all goes well.

Best of luck for Ext 1 tomorrow, you'll smash it!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 09:14:17 pm »
+2
Love it, Angelina -- it's been great following your Major Work journey! Hope all goes well.

Best of luck for Ext 1 tomorrow, you'll smash it!

Hey, fantasticbeasts3!

Glad you've been with me all the way  ;D Extension 1 went quite well! I liked the essay question even though it was very specific  :o :o The creative stimulus also fit with mine really well and only a few minor tweaks were made  ;D

My BOW is almost there and my Music Major Works only have a few more things to tweak before submission  ;D Handing in Extension 2 English today was perhaps one of the greatest reliefs ever and I will be happy to post it on AN once I am informed of how it goes  ;D ;D Have a great evening, everyone!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2018, 03:37:17 pm »
+4
03/09/2018

Another monumental day!  ;D I finally finished my Body of Work for VA and submitted it with half an hour to spare  ;D ;D I'm currently over the moon with this done but am also starting to face the reality that my last Major Works for Music are looming in closer. It'll be the end of an amazing journey for me  ;D

I would like to formally introduce The Promethean Gift which is my pride and joy! I have poured a ridiculous amount of time into this BOW which consists of 50 rectangular pieces layered into ten piles, 15 square pieces layered into three piles and a long spectrum with two layers  :o It sounds heaps more than it appears but I hope that will be something the markers know instantly from looking at it  :)

The materials I used in this include Stonehenge paper, coloured inks, spray paint, bitumen, salt, baking soda and an assortment of found objects (beads, computer chips, screws, LED lights etc.) I also had a soldering iron as my main instrument for burning the papers which I am sad to have parted with after months of working with it  :'( When people asked me why I chose to do this for my BOW, I responded with the honest truth.

I'm not a science/tech person and I never will be but there is definitely something incredibly aesthetic about substances and the changing role of technology in our world. If I was ever going to take a scientific investigation or research process, it would have to be something like this  :D I had immense fun experimenting with my materials and designing unique pieces of work that reflect the world today. I wanted my BOW to look familiar and yet foreign which I believe I have achieved  ;D

I have modified my concept multiple times but have narrowed down my Artist Statement which I think encapsulates everything. I have written it up below for those interested in reading it  ;D I'm going to take my well deserved rest for the day before getting back to Music tomorrow  :D Almost there at the end  ;D Have a good evening!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D

There is a science in art and an art in science. Prometheus’ gift of fire to humanity instigated innovation and my Body of Work investigates the inherent blaze that exists within the mortal spirit, the ignition of a chasm. A series of experiments, The Promethean Gift conveys the excessive, intrinsic struggle to find answers, reducing matter to pigmentation and disarray in layers piled upon one another.

However, my Body of Work advocates for a therapeutic treatment of the self through the removal of material insufficiency and the insertion of a conflagration. The motivic interaction with fire, expressed in the interspersed placement of Emily Dickinson’s poetry, presents the thematic commonality of science uniting my Body of Work and interweaves this intellectual search for meaning throughout. The Promethean Gift captures an incomplete state of burning, cleansing and reforming, suggesting that audiences should aim to be charging towards an ongoing enquiry into what truly lies beyond the layers of existence.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:05:06 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 09:22:41 pm »
+4
10/09/2018

And the final day is over! I had my HSC Music 2 Submitted Works and Practical Examination today which marks the end of my crazy Major Works journey  :'( :'( How surreal it feels right now can not be captured in words. I was sitting outside the examination room just reflecting on all the work put into my majors, including Music, and realising that I am heading into the HSC exams with just under 50% of my total HSC already finished was fantastic  ;D

For today's performance, I think the sight singing went alright. My pitch has never been a problem because I do AMEB Classical Singing but rhythm has always been a point of difficulty. I prioritised getting the pitch right a tad too much which was at the cost of rhythmic timing but I am about 99% confident I got all the notes right. If I'm lucky, the markers will not penalise too much for being off with the rhythm. On a more positive note, I have never given a better performance my entire life!  ;D My partner Alex and I have invested so much time into this piece and to see it executed exactly as I envisioned surged me with adrenaline for the whole day. The only downside was that the only people there to witness it were the examiners but I hope Alex and I can find an opportunity to perform it in front of a bigger audience because it was incredibly enjoyable  ;D

My composition involved into something quite enigmatic. I titled my final composition 'The Traffic Jam' and emulated sounds you can hear on the roads for my submission of Music of the last 25 years. It ended up being something I was proud of, despite not being much of a composer, and I hope it marks well with NESA.

I submitted my Musicology essay last week in advanced because I had it finished completely at that point. What was perhaps most important to my Major Work journey was realising that I can not live without research, projects and challenges. The Musicology essay plunged me into all of these aspects and I was able to come out with a sense of pride and love for the 1500 words I gave birth to over nine months of work. I hope to study Musicology in university as a major and to simulate the experience through this elective reaffirmed my aspirations for the future.

While today's entry concludes with my final Major Works submissions, I intend to continue updating with any creative pursuits that may lie ahead from now until I receive my ATAR. I also look forward to answering any questions and possibly even writing a full length response on my insane decision to undertake so many Major Works in the next few weeks. I entered my final year of high school with concerns for how people would think of me choosing to subject myself to this monstrosity of a year's worth of work. Sharing this journey with everyone on ATARNOTES has made me feel less alone and almost excited to have an audience to come back to  :) I'm grateful for all the support I have received on this thread and hope to keep it active post Major Works.

That will be all from me! Have a great evening, folks!  ;D

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 04:25:07 pm »
+2
Awesome, Awesome, Angelina! What a satisfying milestone to reach.

Coming from someone who specifically didn't choose any major work subjects, I really admire you for rising to the challenge in tackling so many of them!
Btw, your BOW is stunning!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 06:26:35 pm »
+2
Amazing stuff Angelina, you should be so proud!!

Get in touch if you ever want to write about your experience doing so many major works for our articles section, I think you have an insight into it that almost no one else has

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 01:35:41 pm »
+3
13/09/2018

I’m having withdrawals from post Major Works. As relaxed as I am, writing all my cards, purchasing gifts for teachers, ready to graduate and dance my legs off at the formal, I miss the pressure of having so much to do. The HSC is indeed around the corner and my revision will commence next week but there seems to be a huge void I will need to somehow fill.

Awesome, Awesome, Angelina! What a satisfying milestone to reach.

Coming from someone who specifically didn't choose any major work subjects, I really admire you for rising to the challenge in tackling so many of them!
Btw, your BOW is stunning!

Thank you, kauac!

I have had immense fun with them, as much as they were a challenge  :D Amid all my personal intentions to choose subjects I loved and would excel in, a great reason why I chose to do so many was to reduce the stigma placed on them  :) I know people who have dropped subjects off the fear of having major works and I wanted to revise the idea of Major Works being scary or demanding. Indeed, they are, but the rewards certainly outweigh the challenges  ;D I hope to advocate for people who have any of the ones I undertook to go forth with them and hopefully allow them to share similar experiences of elation and content.

I’m also very proud of the final BOW aesthetic  ;D Hopefully she marks well with NESA because the BOW was a product of immense planning, experimentation and artistic design. I’m glad you like it  ;D ;D

Amazing stuff Angelina, you should be so proud!!

Get in touch if you ever want to write about your experience doing so many major works for our articles section, I think you have an insight into it that almost no one else has

And I certainly will! I’ve been thinking about writing articles that summarise my journey and possibly even tips for the 2019 cohort on how they can tackle Major Works. I hope I can perform well in them to offer credible assistance  ;D

That will be all for today’s entry. Time to head back to the books   :D Have an awesome day!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2018, 01:15:48 pm »
+5
25/09/2018

Hey, everyone!

With formal on today for us (I know it's heaps early for most people but I actually quite like having it now before everyone flies to Spain or something after exams), I wanted to finally show off one of the group corsages and boutonnieres we handmade  ;D Talk about a mini BOW with all the Visual Arts kids in the six of us getting together to make them  :) This was the closest thing to having a Major Work in the last few weeks and I am very satisfied with how they turned out  ;D Looking forward to partying hard tonight before it's back to the books  ;) That will be all from me today! Have a great day, folks!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 06:35:24 pm »
+1
Enjoy your formal Angelina!! Have fun ;D