Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:15 pm

Author Topic: CLASS of 2021  (Read 74883 times)

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: CLASS of 2021
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2020, 08:23:25 pm »
+3
Hi! I'm a year 11 in Victoria and I'm quite new to the whole AN scheme
I completed further maths last year and I'm not doing any year 12 subjects this year, so what's left is:
• 1/2 Maths Methods
• 1/2 Chemistry
• 1/2 Biology
• 1/2 History (20th Century)
• 1/2 French
• 1/2 English Language
• 1/2 Religion and Society
However I'm dropping religion and history next year
I hope I get to talk to some new people especially with Covid
sooooo yeah thats me in a nutshell
- Elisabeth
Hi Elisabeth!

Good job on completing Further Maths in year 10! I am doing it as one of my accelerated 3/4s this year (the other being maths methods) and I am really enjoying it. Do you have a favourite subject? We are doing pretty similar subjects (eng lang, french and chem) which is exciting! My favourite subject is definitely chemistry, it is so interesting to me and I also have an incredible teacher :)

Do you have any future plans? Is there anything outside of academics that you are involved in?

I'm glad that you have joined AN and I hope you enjoy this wonderful platform  8)

Eloise
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

elmcgreg21

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2020, 04:52:40 pm »
+2
Hi Elisabeth!

Good job on completing Further Maths in year 10! I am doing it as one of my accelerated 3/4s this year (the other being maths methods) and I am really enjoying it. Do you have a favourite subject? We are doing pretty similar subjects (eng lang, french and chem) which is exciting! My favourite subject is definitely chemistry, it is so interesting to me and I also have an incredible teacher :)

Do you have any future plans? Is there anything outside of academics that you are involved in?

I'm glad that you have joined AN and I hope you enjoy this wonderful platform  8)

Eloise

Hi Eloise! Thanks! I hope you're enjoying further and methods as 3/4s!
My favourite subject at the moment would have to be maths methods, I love my class and I love the logic of maths in general.
I don't exactly know what I want to do in the future, but I think I want to do a science degree (or something along that line) and figure it out from there - but at the moment I'm thinking medicine. What are your plans for the future?
Out of academics I'm a part of the school choir and play tennis. What do you enjoy outside of school? Do you play/keep up with any sports?

So far this is a very useful platform and organisation; I got to go to some lectures in Melbourne over the summer holidays and it's quite helpful for school and such :)
- Elisabeth
2019 | further maths [38]
2021 | maths methods, english language, french, chemistry, biology

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2020, 08:40:05 pm »
+5
Hi Eloise! Thanks! I hope you're enjoying further and methods as 3/4s!
My favourite subject at the moment would have to be maths methods, I love my class and I love the logic of maths in general.
I don't exactly know what I want to do in the future, but I think I want to do a science degree (or something along that line) and figure it out from there - but at the moment I'm thinking medicine. What are your plans for the future?
Out of academics I'm a part of the school choir and play tennis. What do you enjoy outside of school? Do you play/keep up with any sports?
Sorry for the late reply omg its been two weeks oops I've been so busy ahh! I have similar plans, I'm not really sure what I want to do but I am liking the sound of physiotherapy or pharmacy but I will probably do a general course prior so I have time to make up my mind :)

Outside of academics I am super involved in sport, I play netball and dive outside of school and in school, I am apart of the swimming, diving, athletics, indoor cricket, hockey and volleyball teams! It sounds like a lot but I love it. I am also pretty involved in service activities and leadership, I am house sports captain this year and I have applied for a couple of leadership positions for next year too!

How has term 3 been for everyone? I know it has been a bit rough but these past couple weeks I have taken a small step back from studying and focussed on myself and my happiness and I can safely say I am the happiest I have been in months!
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2020, 09:13:29 am »

How has term 3 been for everyone? I know it has been a bit rough but these past couple weeks I have taken a small step back from studying and focussed on myself and my happiness and I can safely say I am the happiest I have been in months!

That's great to hear!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2020, 11:52:35 pm »
+3
How's everyone feeling about going back to school in a couple of days?

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2020, 01:11:46 am »
+4
I'm so glad to see you back on the forum, Laura! :)

Personally, I'm excited to go back and finally see my peers and teachers in person but also a bit nervous in the lead up to assessments. Coming to school for SACs and the GAT amplified my gratitude for being able to attend school in person.

Remote learning has been quite a whirlwind for me (and I'm sure many others are in the same boat :() The way my school set it up initially was that we had to teach ourselves the content and submit the work we'd done each day by 8am the next day, which lead to many of us staying up late to finish work and stuffing up our sleep schedules! Luckily, my school changed the format last term so that we had a video call lesson with our teachers for each class in an attempt to mimic the school experience.

I'll definitely miss the sleep-ins, wearing comfy clothes all day and the funny moments in classes, freedom, and flexibility that came with remote learning!

What about you? How are you feeling about going back?
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2020, 09:15:08 pm »
+4
How's everyone feeling about going back to school in a couple of days?
I for one am extremely excited :). I have found that my mood has been so much better over the past couple of days being able to see my friends for the GAT and our in-school trial exams!

I am a bit worried about balancing finishing my 1/2 subjects while revising for both of my 3/4s but I think I am on track ??? Remote learning left me a lot less motivated however it did give me more time with less travel etc. I am quite happy to finish this year and move onto next year but I still have to get through 4 3/4 exams and 3 1/2 exams (which I think are in the same week?😩 we haven't been told out 1/2 dates but they were originally in the same week as 3 of my 3/4 exams so I am ready to fail my 1/2s ahaha)

Like lm21074 said, I will definitely miss sleeping in til 8:15 and wearing comfy clothes but I am super excited to get into some sense of normal routine!!
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !

Corey King

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2020, 10:31:13 am »
+4
Hey guys :)
My name's Corey.
I will be doing units 3/4 English Language, Methods, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology next year at RMIT.
I'm currently learning the year 11 content for these subject from home.
I aim to study a bachelor of Biomedicine (major in psychology) at Melbourne starting 2022. For this I'll need an ATAR of ~95 or higher.

I am hoping to find someone who is studying these same subjects and has a similar goal to be an accountability partner :)
I've read time and time again that accountability partners have a very positive effect on success outcome.

So basically we will consistently check in with each other throughout this and next year, keeping each other motivated and accountable to effectively working toward our stated goal :)

lm21074

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2020, 12:45:37 pm »
+2
Hey Corey :)

I'm doing the exact same subjects next year, minus psych!

Just out of interest, why biomedicine? :)

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2020, 01:31:32 pm »
+5
Hey Corey :)

I'm doing the exact same subjects next year, minus psych!

Just out of interest, why biomedicine? :)

Hello :)
I had chronic fatigue for about 5 years. Through physical, mental and spiritual means I have recovered. I want to learn about the body and mind so I can become an expert in fatigue, and spend my life helping others overcome similar challenges to the ones I've faced :)
I feel biomedicine and, the Melbourne degree in particular, will best help me achieve that.

What are your current future plans?

lm21074

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2020, 04:22:38 pm »
+4
Hello :)
I had chronic fatigue for about 5 years. Through physical, mental and spiritual means I have recovered. I want to learn about the body and mind so I can become an expert in fatigue, and spend my life helping others overcome similar challenges to the ones I've faced :)
I feel biomedicine and, the Melbourne degree in particular, will best help me achieve that.

What are your current future plans?

I'm so glad you've recovered! CFS is tough.

Really great to hear your enthusiasm for Biomed at Melbourne! Have you considered any other courses or are you set on Biomed? Also, are there any careers you've considered / are considering?

Apologies for the semi-rant below!

I used to have a really detailed plan for what my future would hold. Over time though, I've learnt from my own and others' experiences that not really anything is set in stone and things change. Some of my teachers didn't even want to be teachers when they were in Year 11 and 12. Someone I know went from disliking animals and pets to having a dog sleep next to them at night... so what life holds for me, I don't know.

In saying that, I'm really passionate about education and health. For most of my life, I wanted to become a teacher but then got swayed into the healthcare side of things. Now I'm torn haha. Will probably end up doing both or a combination of both. To be honest, my prediction is that I'll pick one and then I will switch into the other, thinking that it is better for me at the time.

So, course wise - probably some kind of generalist degree in science and then I'll go from there. :)

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2020, 04:54:02 pm »
+5
Hey guys :)
My name's Corey.
I will be doing units 3/4 English Language, Methods, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology next year at RMIT.
I'm currently learning the year 11 content for these subject from home.
I aim to study a bachelor of Biomedicine (major in psychology) at Melbourne starting 2022. For this I'll need an ATAR of ~95 or higher.

I am hoping to find someone who is studying these same subjects and has a similar goal to be an accountability partner :)
I've read time and time again that accountability partners have a very positive effect on success outcome.

So basically we will consistently check in with each other throughout this and next year, keeping each other motivated and accountable to effectively working toward our stated goal :)

Hi Corey! We have pretty different subjects, but I’m also studying psychology next year, and I’m (most likely) aiming for the University of Melbourne, too. It’s nice to make a new class of 2021 friend! Looking forward to seeing more about your vce experience  ;D

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2020, 10:02:02 pm »
+2
I'm so glad you've recovered! CFS is tough.

Really great to hear your enthusiasm for Biomed at Melbourne! Have you considered any other courses or are you set on Biomed? Also, are there any careers you've considered / are considering?

Apologies for the semi-rant below!

I used to have a really detailed plan for what my future would hold. Over time though, I've learnt from my own and others' experiences that not really anything is set in stone and things change. Some of my teachers didn't even want to be teachers when they were in Year 11 and 12. Someone I know went from disliking animals and pets to having a dog sleep next to them at night... so what life holds for me, I don't know.

In saying that, I'm really passionate about education and health. For most of my life, I wanted to become a teacher but then got swayed into the healthcare side of things. Now I'm torn haha. Will probably end up doing both or a combination of both. To be honest, my prediction is that I'll pick one and then I will switch into the other, thinking that it is better for me at the time.

So, course wise - probably some kind of generalist degree in science and then I'll go from there. :)

It's like you said, unexpected things happen that change our plans. Right now that course at Melbourne is a meaningful goal for me to aim for. When VCE finishes I'll reassess my options and set a new course :)
My overall mission to use my personal experience to help others is what's driving me though. I don't see that changing soon.

Nice plan. You can do double degrees you know :)

What are your current study goals, and what are your current study habits?  Do you think your current level of performance will get you where you want to go?

lm21074

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2020, 10:53:25 pm »
+2

It's like you said, unexpected things happen that change our plans. Right now that course at Melbourne is a meaningful goal for me to aim for. When VCE finishes I'll reassess my options and set a new course :)
My overall mission to use my personal experience to help others is what's driving me though. I don't see that changing soon.

Nice plan. You can do double degrees you know :)

What are your current study goals, and what are your current study habits?  Do you think your current level of performance will get you where you want to go?

Nice!

Yes, very aware of the double degree option and some are quite high on my preferences, particularly the generalist ones :)

Those are some good questions. Do you mean study goals as in the long term? I don't really have an ATAR goal because I feel as though I would get too caught up in the numbers game. I have an aim that I keep in the back of my mind but will have to refine my study habits a bit to reach that goal haha. When I was in the younger years of high school, I had a goal of getting a 98+ ATAR and 40+ study scores in each subject (my main motivation was to use it to get into a couple of courses I was interested in and tutoring opportunities), but I don't know how realistic that goal is nowmethods hahahahaha.

Study methods for me are mainly just revising consistently (something I have not done much this year) and keeping track of it on a spreadsheet for exams and using to-do lists to help stay organized. In an ideal world, before a SAC, I'd make a checklist with each area to revise and work away at it (either by teaching the wall or other active recall methods (I've tried recording myself speaking the content and making a podcast style clip, flashcards, teaching others, and posters and summary sheets from memory). Then spam practice questions and past SACs. Nothing really revolutionary.
tl;dr
The process is: understanding the content (making sense of it and asking questions to my teacher) --> learning the content (through the methods described above)  --> applying the content to practice questions.

What about you? :)

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2020, 11:05:05 am »
+1
Hi Corey! We have pretty different subjects, but I’m also studying psychology next year, and I’m (most likely) aiming for the University of Melbourne, too. It’s nice to make a new class of 2021 friend! Looking forward to seeing more about your vce experience  ;D

Nice to meet you too Bluey :)
Good luck with Psych. Should be fun!