Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2021, 10:38:58 am

Author Topic: Whatís with the increase in difficulty of the maths exams?  (Read 433 times)  Share 

schoolstudent115

• Forum Regular
  • 2020: Physics [50]
  • Respect: +5
Whatís with the increase in difficulty of the maths exams?
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:24:58 pm »
Iíve often heard how methods exams and also spec exams have gotten a lot harder in the past few  years, and Iíd have to agree.

Iím in year 12, but I pretty much pre-learned the whole course. So Iíve been looking at the past exams and tried picking the hardest questions from each. The  past 5-6 years have had some really tricky ones (quite visual), and some questions have an average mark of say 0.1/2.

I tried the 2006 spec exams and they are very easy compared to the recent ones. Both combined, I still managed to score 119/120. And just extrapolating, if I were to sit the recent exams, at this stage having not done revision, Iíd definitely lose more than 1 mark. At least 5 overall.

Why are the exams becoming harder? Itís as if thereís some natural rate of Ďinflationí in difficulty.
2020: Physics [50]
2021: ?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1975
Re: Whatís with the increase in difficulty of the maths exams?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 05:09:13 pm »
+4
Iíve often heard how methods exams and also spec exams have gotten a lot harder in the past few  years, and Iíd have to agree.

Iím in year 12, but I pretty much pre-learned the whole course. So Iíve been looking at the past exams and tried picking the hardest questions from each. The  past 5-6 years have had some really tricky ones (quite visual), and some questions have an average mark of say 0.1/2.

I tried the 2006 spec exams and they are very easy compared to the recent ones. Both combined, I still managed to score 119/120. And just extrapolating, if I were to sit the recent exams, at this stage having not done revision, Iíd definitely lose more than 1 mark. At least 5 overall.

Why are the exams becoming harder? Itís as if thereís some natural rate of Ďinflationí in difficulty.
In 2006 the average scores for exam 1 and 2 were 43.6/80 and 88.8/160
In 2020 the average scores for exam 1 and 2 were 46.4/80 and 99.9/160

Although I do think some of the questions have gotten harder, even in recent years there have been exams on the easier side of things.