Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:17 pm

Author Topic: The Monthly Cooking Challenge  (Read 21376 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: The Monthly Cooking Challenge
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 01:56:25 pm »
+11
June Challenge

Welcome to winter everyone! I thought i'd change it up a bit and choose a savory ingredient for this months challenge. To try get those warm wintery vibes in the kitchen, this months ingredient is:

Lentils!

Lentils are packed full of plant based protein and super filling with it's fiber content, so it makes for the perfect ingredient to many warm dishs. There are soups, patties, bolognaise, meatballs and many more. So get out you're winter recipes everyone, I can't wait to see what you all make! 

That cinnamon muffin looks amazing! I'll have to try and make it, and that granola looks fantastic. I've been stuck in a chocolate granola phase so I might need to step out of my box and make some cinnamon based ones! Sorry that I'm a day late, been quite  busy at the moment! Good luck everyone, I can't wait to see your creations!

2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2021, 07:52:39 pm »
+10
July Challenge

Sorry for being a bit late! I didn't get the opportunity to cook last month but i'm hoping to fit a bit in for July (plus my dishwasher is broken..... and I hate hand washing :P) This month, instead of an ingredient, I thought a general category would be a nice change. So without further or do, this months challenges is:

Cupcakes

You can make any flavour you like. I'd even count muffins! So, feel free to mix and match cupcakes with any icing either, or go no icing at all it's up to you! Looking forward to seeing what every one creates! Happy Baking!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 07:17:42 pm »
+12
I forgot about the lentil challenge in June, so decided to respond to both prompts with "Cocoa Lentil Cupcakes"

I halved the sugar but i think it needs to be a little sweeter. The lentils taste surprisingly good in it, because of the cocoa you can't really taste much lentil-ness in the cooked cake, but the batter tasted chocolatey-lentil-y in a good way.
the oven must have been too hot because most peaked like volcanos
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2021, 07:57:57 pm »
+10
Hello!!!

I'm submitting this like I do most assignments - right on the cusp of the deadline!

I had plans to make these all month, but lockdown got in the way of my collaboration plans. Finally, today I was able to see Erutepa and we made these frog bog cupcakes! They're actually red velvet cakes but with icing I dyed green on top because red velvet tastes nice.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2021, 09:30:41 pm »
+8
Like poet, I may or may not have procrastinated making cupcakes. I made alot of cake as I ran out of patty pans, but I found some in the back of the cupboard! So, here are my chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream on top! Haven't made butter cream in a while so it was nice to do so again. Also, my dishwasher now works again, so clean up wasn't as painful!!!

And yes this is a photo of cupcakes outside on my deck..... it was a prettier backdrop, don't judge :P

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 09:42:58 pm »
+7
August Challenge

All of your cupcakes looked amazing guys! Hoped they tasted as delish as they looked!!!! With this being the final month of winter, I thought what a better way to send of the month by using an ingredient that is grown in this season. Without further or do, this month's challenge is:

Oranges

Use them however you like, in what ever you like. From classic cakes, to chocolate, there is so much potential with this amazing fruit that is normally harvested in winter! Can't wait to see your creations!!! Good Luck!

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 11:21:45 am »
+8
August Challenge

All of your cupcakes looked amazing guys! Hoped they tasted as delish as they looked!!!! With this being the final month of winter, I thought what a better way to send of the month by using an ingredient that is grown in this season. Without further or do, this month's challenge is:

Oranges

Use them however you like, in what ever you like. From classic cakes, to chocolate, there is so much potential with this amazing fruit that is normally harvested in winter! Can't wait to see your creations!!! Good Luck!

I LOVE ORANGES!!!!! (I literally made this the day that I saw this announcement but didn't upload till now hahaha)

'Tis the season for citrus, and that means making my favourite cake loaves!
Orange and/or lemon and poppyseed. The best cold weather snack, hands down.
open 4 cake
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2021, 06:10:48 pm »
+9
I love oranges too! I always feel like the belong more in summer for some reason but happy to have them anytime of the year. I decided to make chocolates!

I made one with a orange centre and a plain centre. The orange one was made with two rinds of a orange, 6 tablespoons of cream, and 200g of white chocolate. (I did a milk chocolate one as well, and I prefer it as it tastes like a jaffa!)

Anyway, I tempered my coverture chocolate, and coated the molds, waited for that to cool them filled it in with the fillings, cover it up and popped them out. Wasn't super happy with how they turned out, but they taste good and that's the main thing. I didn't use the seeding methods to temp the chocolate, and I wish I did, as I ended up with a much thicker chocolate that was harder to spread into the crevices of the molds. There was also a bit of blooming (white part) on the orange chocolate which means I went above 31 C, so woops.....

Final result:
Spoiler

In process

wingdings2791

• Trendsetter
  • I'm going back to the start
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 10:01:48 pm »
+7
Now I know the orange component isn't immediately obvious, but here's a Brazilian style, orange beef stew flavoured with several orange peels! It has black beans, tomatoes, onions, carrots, capsicum, and honestly way too many spices to list XD

Hopefully this is still technically on theme... :0
ATAR: 99.75
UCAT: 95th

2022-2025: B. Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 11:20:05 am »
+2
-snip-

It's absolutely still on theme! The dish just had to incorporate oranges somehow, and it's really cool to see a savory dish using orange. It looks delicious, great job!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 12:45:58 pm »
+9
September Challenge

Welcome to Spring everyone! With the weather warming up, all I can seem to think about lately is picnics. Now even though lockdown has put a small stop to that, there is nothing that can prevent anyone from making goods for a pretend picnic! So, this months challenge is:

Biscuits

A biscuit is something you would dip into tea, have for a cuppa or something you sneak out of a packet. They might be like scotch fingers, anzacs, marie, shortbread, chocolate chip, oatmeal/rasins, snickerdoodle or any other plain biscuit. There are also many made of almonds in Italian and French cuisine. This does not include cookies, which to me are iced/decorated plain cookies with either royal icing or fondant.
So this challenge is a little stricter on the guidelines in that is it must be a plain biscuit, not a decorated cookie (we may do that next month though!). Scones and American biscuits do not count.

Have fun everyone, I can't see what you guys make!   

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2021, 05:03:41 pm »
+7
I had plans to make something a bit fancier, but i've been feeling a bit under the weather. So here are some pretty easy but equally yummy choc chip cookies.

I tried a new recipe, but I've come to the conclusion I prefer my old one, but they were still pretty good. I have already eaten 3.....

wingdings2791

• Trendsetter
  • I'm going back to the start
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2021, 05:12:10 pm »
+3
These look like clouds... heavenly and unreachable at the same time (as I lack the will to turn on the oven, or even walk to the pantry xd), they must be delicious! I can already smell the freshly baked scent just seeing a picture. :)
ATAR: 99.75
UCAT: 95th

2022-2025: B. Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2021, 11:11:43 pm »
+5
November Challenge

Apologies for missing last month! We are so close to the end of the year and in the last moth of spring before summer hits. So for this month I thought i'd once again choose a type of dessert, and without further or do, this months challenge is....

Slices!

Lemon slices, vanilla slices, weetbix slices, chocolate slices, you name it. If it has the word slice in it and is made from a square pan and cut into pieces, that is a slice. It can have layers, or no layers at all with a frosting on top. The worlds your oyster with slices!

Have fun everyone, I can't wait see what you guys make!   

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 11:29:58 pm by Geoo »

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 11:29:33 pm »
+5
December Challenge

Ho Ho Ho everyone! It's that time of year again where a Christmas trees goes up and the streets are decorated in lights. This month will be really predictable. So without further or do, this months challenge is.....

Literally Anything Christmas (or any of your holiday traditional food)

There is no real criteria for this month, if you made something for a Christmas celebration, whether savory or sweet, a known Christmas treat or just a meal you made for you're family. Anything with a festive theme can be used for this months challenge. There are gingerbread houses, fruit cakes, cookies of any kind, a pavlova, or maybe pudding! Anything goes!

However I will judge anyone that makes fruit cake....... I don't know how people consume it.....

Have fun everyone, I can't wait see what you guys make!