Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:56:06 am

Author Topic: Drive test tips  (Read 3283 times)  Share 

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Drive test tips
« on: December 11, 2020, 03:37:05 pm »
+1
Hi all.

I'm sitting my driving test on Tuesday and I'm crapping myself. Just wanted to clarify a few qs I had before sitting it.

When the officer asks you to change lanes (when safe), do I just look at my mirrors (rear-view + side) and put on my indicator, regardless of where I am? So for example, before I cross a traffic light, I put on my indicator, and then when I cross the traffic light, I change lanes when safe? I believe you aren't being assessed on how fast you change, but rather how safe, right?

Is dry-steering okay for 3 point turns (when you move your steering wheel when stationary)?

If I don't see a speed sign anywhere, do I just assume it's a 50? I'm super wary with this because sometimes when you come out of a T-intersection onto the main road, you can't see a speed sign, until when you drive 500m where you will see the speed sign as 70, but the whole time I've been driving under 50 because I didn't see anything. I don't want to assume the speed or match other car's speed.

I know it varies, but how many lane changes are you asked to do? I feel like I'm alright at driving but the main thing I'm concerned about are the other drivers around me. I've had so many people tailgate me and/or never give way to me when changing lanes which just makes things even more dangerous.

Thank you!!! I'm panicking so hard right now  :'(

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Drive test tips
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 03:56:02 pm »
+5
When the officer asks you to change lanes (when safe), do I just look at my mirrors (rear-view + side) and put on my indicator, regardless of where I am? So for example, before I cross a traffic light, I put on my indicator, and then when I cross the traffic light, I change lanes when safe? I believe you aren't being assessed on how fast you change, but rather how safe, right?

I would probably wait until I cross the traffic light to turn on the indicator. I think it can be a bit misleading to have it on when going through an intersection. Your assessor will know the roads well so it is likely they will test you changing lanes in a long straight.
Also yes they test you on how safe you change lanes and not how fast you do it. Just make sure that when you are changing lanes you turn on the indicator -> do a head check (exaggerate this) -> then if it is clear slowly change lanes making sure your front two wheels aren't the first to wheels going into the new lane.

Is dry-steering okay for 3 point turns (when you move your steering wheel when stationary)?
I would try not to do that but idk if they care? You are probably better off even going really slow whilst turning the wheel. The main things they are testing are making sure you check both sides of the road when you do your first turn and doing the same when you are reversing. Also make sure you don't hit a curb or go on private property (the initial part of the driveway is fine).
If I don't see a speed sign anywhere, do I just assume it's a 50? I'm super wary with this because sometimes when you come out of a T-intersection onto the main road, you can't see a speed sign, until when you drive 500m where you will see the speed sign as 70, but the whole time I've been driving under 50 because I didn't see anything. I don't want to assume the speed or match other car's speed.
Usually, I've seen 2 lane roads tend to be 60 then 3 lanes tend to be 70 so that could be a good indicator (but obviously may not be perfect). However, It is definitely better to go slower than over the limit. E.g. going over the speed limit for 5 seconds or more or going over 5km/h of the speed limit is a "serious error) which results in a fail.
I know it varies, but how many lane changes are you asked to do? I feel like I'm alright at driving but the main thing I'm concerned about are the other drivers around me. I've had so many people tailgate me and/or never give way to me when changing lanes which just makes things even more dangerous.

Thank you!!! I'm panicking so hard right now  :'(
I can't remember how many lane changes I had but probably in the region of 3-5. This was usually done in long straights. I think if it is not safe to change lanes they won't expect you to do it. Generally, they will say something along the lines of "when it is safe change lanes".

Hope this helps :)

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/your-ps/get-your-ps/the-drive-test
At the bottom of this link there is a PDF link which says what you will be tested on and their expectations.

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 04:21:26 pm »
+1
Thanks Sine :)

- Just to play it safe, you'd recommend rocking around 45km/h if I don't see a speed sign, even if I'm on main road? I remember that going too slow isn't an immediate termination, but it can induce dangerous conditions.

- Also, on a road with 3 lanes, must I stay in the left lane, or is the middle fine? I'm not going to stick to the right lane (unless otherwise instructed).

- Let's say there's two lanes. I'm driving on the left lane, and see that there are parked cars on it. I then change to the right lane. When I pass the parked cars, must I change back to the left lane or should I just stay in the right lane?

Sorry if there's a lot of qs. I'm freaking the hell out right now!!!

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 05:08:28 pm »
+4

- Just to play it safe, you'd recommend rocking around 45km/h if I don't see a speed sign, even if I'm on main road? I remember that going too slow isn't an immediate termination, but it can induce dangerous conditions.

I'd recommend to always stay 5km below the speed limit.
- Also, on a road with 3 lanes, must I stay in the left lane, or is the middle fine? I'm not going to stick to the right lane (unless otherwise instructed).
The testing officer will tell you which lane to be on "when you make a left turn, please stay in the left lane" or in other scenarios they will tell you what lane to be in OR if they say "make a u-turn at the roundabout" then you know you need to merge to the right lane, and then indicate right at the roundabout, and obviously make the u turn
- Let's say there's two lanes. I'm driving on the left lane, and see that there are parked cars on it. I then change to the right lane. When I pass the parked cars, must I change back to the left lane or should I just stay in the right lane?
Sorry if there's a lot of qs. I'm freaking the hell out right now!!!
You typically return back to the left lane, however again the testing officer will usually tell you which lane to stay in, as they may use the parked cars as an opportunity to test your merging lanes skills.

All the best
T&S
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 05:44:44 pm »
+3
Thanks Sine :)

I couldn't give blanket rule but obviously you want to first look for the speed signs but if not then being more careful is always better
Either lane is fine, your assesor will likely instruct you in what lane they want you in. Yeah in a 3+ laneway it would be wise to not go to the right lane unless you are turning.
The assessor will tell you what to do. Often if the left lane has parked cars it is usually more convenient just to stay in the right lane so you don't have to switch lanes each time there is a parked car.

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 01:28:41 pm »
Thanks legends :)

One last qs, when I'm turning right onto these types of roads, if the lane close to me is clear, am I okay to just move into the middle, and then stay there until the lane is clear then I move off?

Thx!!!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 03:18:12 pm »
+2
Thanks legends :)

One last qs, when I'm turning right onto these types of roads, if the lane close to me is clear, am I okay to just move into the middle, and then stay there until the lane is clear then I move off?

Thx!!!

In the driving test It is more important to follow the instructions of the assessor so I think you should stick in whatever lane you are in unless they tell you to change lanes.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 04:01:43 pm »
+2
Hope it goes well, Amnilauv! :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 06:40:56 pm »
+1
In the driving test It is more important to follow the instructions of the assessor so I think you should stick in whatever lane you are in unless they tell you to change lanes.
Hey Sine

Thanks for the advice :) I was asking about the road where if you do a right turn, you have to cross the opposite road (that's the best I can explain it, have absolutely no idea what it's called lol).

I've attached a photo with some edits.
If you are turning right, and the lane that's closest to you is available (so no cars are coming), but the other road has oncoming cars, am I able to cross the road that's closest to me (illustrated by the orange line), and camp in the middle (illustrated by the red circle), and then go if it's safe e.g. no cars, or do I just have to wait until both roads are clear and then I move right?

I hope you understand 😬

Thanks again!!!

Hope it goes well, Amnilauv! :)
Thank you!!! 😭
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 06:49:43 pm by Amnilauv »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 07:12:53 pm »
+1
Hey Sine

Thanks for the advice :) I was asking about the road where if you do a right turn, you have to cross the opposite road (that's the best I can explain it, have absolutely no idea what it's called lol).

I've attached a photo with some edits.
If you are turning right, and the lane that's closest to you is available (so no cars are coming), but the other road has oncoming cars, am I able to cross the road that's closest to me (illustrated by the orange line), and camp in the middle (illustrated by the red circle), and then go if it's safe e.g. no cars, or do I just have to wait until both roads are clear and then I move right?

I hope you understand 😬

Thanks again!!!
Thank you!!! 😭
Sorry about that, yeah I think you should be fine going into that island bit designated by dotted lines and waiting.

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 07:48:25 pm »
+1
Sorry about that, yeah I think you should be fine going into that island bit designated by dotted lines and waiting.
Awesome! I should be good for tuesday. Thank you and all that helped :)