Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:53 pm

Author Topic: Victorian Selective Entry Exam  (Read 24019 times)  Share 

Meg210706

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Selective Entry Casual Chat
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2020, 11:57:40 pm »
Hey so I was wondering out of 50 and 60 what approximately would be a good mark to aim for to get a superior? Ik it depends on how everyone else performs as well but in general to secure a superior I guess.

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 09:20:24 am »
Hey so I was wondering out of 50 and 60 what approximately would be a good mark to aim for to get a superior? Ik it depends on how everyone else performs as well but in general to secure a superior I guess.
I think that's probably high enough, maybe aim higher though

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 11:20:05 am »

I think 80-85% and higher is a really superior mark.
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 11:22:20 am »
My JAC tutor told my like 95%

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 11:27:18 am »
Aim for the highest, and you will get there with all your efforts

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2020, 11:28:18 am »

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2020, 11:51:45 am »
Aim for the highest, and you will get there with all your efforts
Soo true,
Just work your hardest so you don't feel like you could have done better.
I am doing the test next year and I wish everyone good luck
If you want to get in I would work to the best of my abilities.
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2020, 12:16:57 pm »
Advice:
Preparing for the exam:

- Take 10-minute breaks
- Go out and enjoy the weather (exercise, make sure to take your vitamins)
- Try breaking up the components, if you are struggling with few topics in maths then use Khan Academy, youtube and keep
   practising till you understand the concept
- Don't stress, don't panic!
- Enjoy life-like normal, Focus on the good things

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2020, 02:35:06 pm »
Advice:
Preparing for the exam:

- Take 10-minute breaks
- Try breaking up the components, if you are struggling with few topics in maths then use Khan Academy, youtube and keep
Thanks, for the advice

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2020, 02:50:31 pm »
Pm if you need help.

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 04:05:20 pm »
Advice:
Preparing for the exam:

- Take 10-minute breaks

Thank you so much, will you be doing the Year 9 entrance exam too?

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2020, 04:31:05 pm »
I am in year 9 this year

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2020, 04:39:18 pm »
I am in year 9 this year

Last year did apply for year 9 entry at any of the selective schools?

Meg210706

• Forum Regular
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2020, 05:01:13 pm »
Lol sorry I just realised my question should’ve been worded differently I meant out of 50  and 60 questions how many should I be getting correct to secure a superior.

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2020, 05:23:30 pm »
Hey people.
After my Dad finished work and showed me this article he got from the herald sun paper (page 12)

Here is what it says, if you are unable to read the article on the website or see it off the image.

Quote from: Claire Heaney Herald Sun
Victoria’s smartest kids’ future in doubt as selective entry schools’ entrance exams postponed

Entry to highly-selective Mac Robertson Girls’ and Melbourne High is like snaring a golden ticket to VCE glory. But entrance exams have again been postponed due to COVID-19, throwing the plans of 3500 hopefuls into limbo.

More than 3000 of the state’s smartest kids are in limbo as the Year 9 entry exam to the state’s best government schools has been postponed for the second time.

There are around 3500 applicants for the selective entry high school examination to attend Mac. Robertson Girls, Melbourne, Nossal and Suzanne Cory high schools each year.

The unzoned schools, in Albert Park, South Yarra, Werribee and Berwick, are appealing for parents looking for an elite education at a fraction of the cost of private schooling and parents who don’t think their gifted child is being catered for in their current school.

Entry is at Year 9 level and some parents shift their children from higher priced private schools if they win a hotly sought place at one of these schools.

There are less than 1000 places up for grabs across the schools which range are single sex and co-ed.

A Department of Education spokeswoman told the Herald Sun that the just announced road map to reopening meant the September 19 exam would be postponed.

“We know many students are anticipating this exam and we will provide applicants, their families and schools with further information on an alternative date shortly with as much advance notice as possible,” the department said.

Many families set their children for the exams several years out, employing tutors to help them win a place to the elite schools which are not zoned and draw students from every postcode.

In a ranking of 2019 median VCE study scores Mac. Rob was seventh and Melbourne High 13th out of 650 schools. Nossal was 35 and Suzanne Cory 58.

A parent, who did not want to named, said the delay left her son, who attends a medium-fee private school near their home, in limbo. The family has to give term's notice that they are leaving their current school. Failure to do that will incur a fee.

While the mother said there was no guarantee her child would win a place at one of the schools, he was recognised as high achieving and it had been suggested he try for a place at a select-entry school.

The exam is held at a big venue such as the Royal-Exhibition building, so it is not allowed due to pandemic restrictions on gatherings. In a normal year students are notified of an offer by late August or September after sitting the entrance exam in June.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, if you haven't heard already, the department of education is now giving an option for students to withdrawl from the selective entry high school application process;

"All applicants retain the right to withdraw from the Selective Entry High School examination process at any point. Following these changes, the deadline to withdraw and receive a full refund of the application fee has been extended to Monday 21 September 2020. Please indicate your request to withdraw by email to the Selective Entry Unit at [email protected]."

Reading the article, I think there may be actually quite a few people choosing to withdrawl from the exam.
Will this put us at an advantage or disadvantage?