Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:34 pm

Author Topic: USYD Welcome Week  (Read 4010 times)

lace02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
USYD Welcome Week
« on: February 08, 2020, 04:49:58 pm »
Hey all!

I'm going to be starting university this year at USYD and just have a few questions regarding welcome week.

1. Welcome week this year is from the 17th to 21st of Feb. Is it necessary to attend every single day? If not then how many would be the recommended quantity.

2. What are the main things that I should get/learn/understand from welcome week?

3. Is there anything necessary that I have to take with me to welcome week?

4. Are there any compulsory sessions or events during welcome week that I must attend? Also what are some recommended things I do or check out during welcome week?

5. Also this is a question not directly related to welcome week but how do you know where to find your exact location of the classes on the very first day of uni?

I also have some lectures that are back to back and would like to attend them all but they are 10 minutes walking distance away from one another  :'(

Thank you!!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: USYD Welcome Week
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:24:24 am »
+1
Hey all!

I'm going to be starting university this year at USYD and just have a few questions regarding welcome week.

1. Welcome week this year is from the 17th to 21st of Feb. Is it necessary to attend every single day? If not then how many would be the recommended quantity.

2. What are the main things that I should get/learn/understand from welcome week?

3. Is there anything necessary that I have to take with me to welcome week?

4. Are there any compulsory sessions or events during welcome week that I must attend? Also what are some recommended things I do or check out during welcome week?

5. Also this is a question not directly related to welcome week but how do you know where to find your exact location of the classes on the very first day of uni?

I also have some lectures that are back to back and would like to attend them all but they are 10 minutes walking distance away from one another  :'(

Thank you!!

Hey, lace02!

Super exciting to hear you'll be at USYD this year  :D Here are my thoughts on your questions having gone through first year in 2019 and experiencing the wonders of Welcome Week.

1. It's not necessary to attend every single day at all! You should choose which days you think would most benefit you from going; perhaps you want to attend a talk held by one of your future lecturers, or you want to join a society. You should check out the Welcome Week timetable and figure out ideally which days would be worth going for you.

2. The best things to do during Welcome Week are to explore the university campus and get answers to all the questions you probably have stirring in your mind. This is your best environment to speak to those in the upper cohorts and gain advice that you might want to take on board as you commence university. In answer to your fifth question, I also took my first day of Welcome Week as a chance to locate all my classrooms and got the assistance of student helpers to navigate my way around. Along the way, you can grab freebies, grab food on campus and meet new people!

3. You're not required to bring anything at all  :) I'd recommend bringing a friend or two to have fun with and a big smile on your face to greet the uni. If you do feel like bringing something, I'd grab a small notebook and just use it to take down any important notes from the people you talk to and the places you find.

4. This was already answered above but perhaps let me know what degree you'll be studying and I can recommend particular events and activities to consider!

5. Will also add to my previous mention of using Welcome Week as your opportunity to find your way around campus; Lost on Campus is a fantastic app to download for your first week or so of university. It not only helps you find the rooms you need for class, but also nearby foot outlets, restrooms and study spaces. 

As for having back to back lectures, you'll more than often finish a lecture with five to ten minutes to spare (so if it ends at 9am, you'll finish up at 8:55 latest) and the next lecture will either start on time or after five minutes (I had one lecturer who knew we had a back to back education seminar so he waited for the whole cohort of us to rock up before starting). This should give you enough time to make it but if you find yourself struggling to, check to see if at least one of the lectures are recorded (usually they are) and you can just watch the few minutes you either missed to get to your next class or missed getting to that next class.

You can check out more on the information page here for more details and create a planner for the week here  :) If you have any further questions, just let me know! Hope this helps  ;D

Angelina  ;D

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:29:08 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music