Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:57:26 am

Author Topic: -  (Read 14107 times)  Share 

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: VCE Literarture vs VCE English - Pls help me decide!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 08:55:35 pm »
+3
The first SAC we did was an Oral, but it was recorded as opposed to being presented in class so I didn't really memorise it (I wanted too, but of course I was too stupidly lazy to and ended up doing it last minute). The feedback in terms of what to improve on included the tone of my voice and intonation.

The second SAC we did was a Lit perspectives essay on a film. The feedback for what to improve on included: building an interpretation of the text and which was mostly balanced with my understanding of literary criticism (not sure why this was mostly and not completely). Strengthening my analysis even further by including more discussion of film techniques.
For what it's worth, the oral is a negligible assessment in unit 3/4. At my school it was worth only 10% of an overall creative SAC. A lot of schools don't assess it at all as long as you turn something in. I couldn't be bothered memorising my oral either

Literary perspectives is really difficult so don't worry if you find yourself struggling with it, especially in 1/2. It's a completely new type of assessment which most students wouldn't have seen previously. Building a strong interpretation requires extensive reading and researching, not to mention time and practice.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47:18 am »
+1
- I've actually gotten a few good grades in English last year in semester 1 whereas in Literature I feel like no matter how hard I do try I'm always stuck in the same grade boundary. (btw, with both Eng and Lit, when I say try I mean my usual last minute cramming)
Since I don't know the details like your actual writing style etc, I can only make guesses here - maybe you're writing the same type of essays for both English AND Literature? I did 1/2 mainstream English alongside Literature and I noticed when I write the same style of essays for both subjects, I'd get a great score in one but only a mediocre score in the other.

- I like structure
I mean, it's not like literature has no structure. You're still required to present your ideas in a logical method and everything. You just don't need to strictly follow the ENGLISH structure which has been drilled into all of us since year 7. That said, if you enjoy writing according to the English structure, then literature might not be as suitable.

- I'm (usually) decent at Oral presentations and they're worth way more in English compared to Literature
Yeah, the oral in Literature is worth next to nothing hahah.

Have you tried having a chat to your Literature and English teachers at school about your thoughts towards both subjects and what you can do to improve? They'll definitely give better suggestions than me since they've actually read your work.

Also, I don't know what VCE subjects you're doing but have you thought about what to pick up IF you were to drop literature? Or are you doing 7 subjects atm?

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 06:03:22 pm »
+1
If I dropped Lit, then I would pick English (I'm only doing literature atm). Yeah, I am doing 7 VCE subjects: methods, biology, chemistry, a lote 1/2, a lote 3/4, religion and society and literature.

Ah I see. Sorry, I thought you were doing both.

Just wondering, are you planning on doing all 7 subjects or will you be dropping one next year? You seem to have quite a heavy workload.

Anyway, as I said before I think your best course of action is to talk to your lit teacher. You can also try sending your essays to your school's English teachers and ask them whether your writing style would be better suited for mainstream English.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 08:30:32 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for all of your help colline! I've finally decided to switch to mainstream English since I don't have the "flair" of writing which you apparently need for Lit. Plus I much prefer the rigider structure in English.
Anyways, one last question, how much would this "flair" be needed in English as well?
Not entirely sure what you mean by 'flair'. Both English subjects require the ability to clearly and concisely write, as well as follow appropriate conventions of grammar and syntax whilst also maintaining good expression. If this is what you mean by 'flair', then yes, you need this in mainstream English as well. Perhaps not the same type of 'flair' as is in literature (I have not done this subject), but 'flair' nonetheless. This is definitely something you can improve over time with repeated feedback and integration of this feedback, so don't worry too much - it comes with practice. It is important to be able to express your ideas and analysis well in both subjects - maybe literature has different demands that I am not aware of - but be aware that both subjects do require developed writing skills. Hope this helps :)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2020, 08:32:48 pm »
+3
Thank you so much for all of your help colline! I've finally decided to switch to mainstream English since I don't have the "flair" of writing which you apparently need for Lit. Plus I much prefer the rigider structure in English.
Anyways, one last question, how much would this "flair" be needed in English as well?
No worries :))

I've never done English 3/4, so I cannot speak from personal experience. Anyway, the "flair" of writing is honestly so arbitrary. TBH, I wouldn't put too much weight on it. Regardless of whether you choose English or Lit, the main thing is making sure you thoroughly understand the text, the background, the writing criteria, and do a lot of practice.

ETA - I have a friend who did English mainstream, and he has a very unique and very bold style of writing. Anyway, his English teacher said he has a 'flair' for writing but still told him to refrain from writing in his own style for VCE - so he followed the conventional writing style and got a really high SS Later in university he wrote all of his essay in his own style and did incredibly well. The point I'm trying to make is, the writing you do in VCE is quite strictly methodological. Having a 'flair' for writing isn't necessarily an advantage.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:39:24 pm by colline »

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 08:43:35 pm »
+3
I meant more like a well-flowing/poetic/creative type of writing. Whereas my writing is a lot more structured, rigid and doesn't flow as well.

Flow is really important. Poetic on the other hand... eh, not really. At least, the trend I picked up on in both English and Literature is that students with really flowery writing don't necessarily do better - in fact, it's actually those who write in a straight-forward and concise manner that score higher.

(Also see my ETA above. Basically, you kind of have to follow a strict system of writing VCE. You need to make sure your essay is logical, well-presented, and has adequate evidence to back up whatever argument(s) you're making. Anything else is secondary).