Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 04:44:18 pm

Author Topic: VCE subjects that go hand-in-hand with Revs, Geography and Literature?  (Read 4150 times)  Share 

blubber

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Can anyone suggest subjects that may go really well with Revs, Geography and Literature in terms of links in content or types of assessments?
Could you also mention how they relate to at least one of these subjects?

Thanks  :)

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
Re: VCE subjects that go hand-in-hand with Revs, Geography and Literature?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 08:04:18 pm »
+7
Can anyone suggest subjects that may go really well with Revs, Geography and Literature in terms of links in content or types of assessments?
Could you also mention how they relate to at least one of these subjects?

Thanks  :)

I've never clicked on a post so fast.

From my (rather limited) knowledge most humanities subjects would have overlaps in terms of content with the 3 you mentioned. Of course, there's no *one* subject that just perfectly matches / overlaps in content, but I thought I'd give a general run down of the 2 hums subjects that I do and how they link with Literature. (I don't do revs or geography, but I can't imagine them being too different).

Global Politics would definitely have a LOT of overlaps with Literature, and most likely revs as well. In literature you have to talk about how the political / social features of a time period influenced the author etc, and what he/she was trying to address, and that's where politics come in. Of course, Global Politics would focus a lot more on present-day issues, while in lit you're most often focusing on issues from a past time period, but there are definitely overlaps. Literature is kind of similar to history in the aspect that you learn about what society was like, and in global you learn about how the socio-political features developed and the the results of such developments.

Assessments in global are quite different to lit - you have four Areas of Study, with one SAC per AOS. Each SAC is split into short answer questions (a question could be worth anywhere from 1 mark to 6~8 marks) and extended response (20 marks), which is an essay (~500 words). The final exam would be of a similar structure.

Ancient History is a fairly new subject (only came into existence in 2016) however I found that it has quite a lot of overlaps with lit in the aspect that there is a lot of writing involved. On the plus side, as I practiced writing more in history I found that my lit essays also started improving. On the down side, doing both heavily essay-based subjects is a lot of work. Ancient history, like lit, is more focused on the past than what's happening right now, though VCAA generally only puts 1-2 classical texts in their text list for lit. However I still found doing both subjects helpful in terms of essay writing.

As for assessments, history is a lot more similar to lit - there is a LOT of writing. Each school does SACs differently, but generally for AOS 1 of Unit 3 and Unit 4 it would be a source analysis split into 3 questions. Question 1 and 2 (worth 5 marks each) are generally more like reading comprehension - you read the source given and then answer the question. Question 3 (10 marks) is similar a mini-essay. As for AOS 2 of each unit - it would be an essay of around 500 words (worth 20 marks).
For the final exam it would follow a very similar structure: 2 x source analysis (40 marks) and 2 x essays (40 marks).

Just something to note though, lit is a lot of work and from what I've heard revs is too (not sure about geography). Ancient history is also incredibly content heavy, while global requires some more general knowledge and isn't as demanding as long as you keep up with the news. History involves a lot more writing than global. Global involves a bit more rote-learning of definitions.

That's just 2 hums subjects and my experiences with them :) Feel free to ask if you have any questions about them, I'm happy to help! Of course, there are other subjects that you should have a look at too!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:07:59 pm by Lsjnzy13 »
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Julianfarr

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE subjects that go hand-in-hand with Revs, Geography and Literature?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:32 pm »
+3
100% do english. The killer combo of english and lit will never let you down. Both will boost each other, both require minimal effort and deliver 45+ study scores. If not then do legal studies - there's an overlap in legal with the separation of powers from the American revolution.