Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:08:22 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 260089 times)  Share 

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 11:02:37 pm »
+2
How did you guys go about the textbook questions? worth it or nah?

I had the Cambridge textbook which is probably different.  I personally never did textbook questions, but that doesn't mean they're not worth doing.  If you have 'summary' questions at the end of each chapter, I recommend doing those thoroughly; I'd ignore 'extension' questions as they go beyond what you need.  For any other questions, perhaps go over them with dot-pointed/briefer answers to save time.  The point isn't necessarily whether they're exam-style, but whether they help you get your head round the content and check you know and can apply what you read; practising helps stick stuff in your head.

Side topic - while I know many disagree, this is why I recommend going over VCAA exams at the start of the year - partly to help you get somewhat of a feel for what 'exam-like questions' are, which helps you make your preparation most targeted and useful.

EDIT: I bet three dollars you'll have given up on them by the end of term 2; the questions do end up quite time-consuming, and can be very off topic - as yearningforsimplicity said, stick like glue to the study design.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:25:26 am by bangla_lok »
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

rumeysa

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 03:26:57 pm »
So in terms of definitions, I know that this subject is largely based on memorisation. However, does this necessarily mean that we have to memorise each and every relevant definition perfectly, or can it be a few words off?

How precise do we actually have to be when reciting them?
2014: Biology [48]
2015: English | Mathematical Methods CAS | Chemistry | Health & Human Development | Psychology

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 04:19:36 pm »
+2
So in terms of definitions, I know that this subject is largely based on memorisation. However, does this necessarily mean that we have to memorise each and every relevant definition perfectly, or can it be a few words off?

How precise do we actually have to be when reciting them?

Some definitions in HHD have been developed/created by an official organisation such as the World Health Organisation (WHO), Australian Institute of Health & Welfare (AIHW) or the United Nations (UN). E.g. the definition of 'Mental Health' used by most textbooks (the one that starts off as "Mental health is a state of wellbeing in which an individual realises....") was (if I remember correctly) created by the WHO; so it's one of those definitions that you'd want to be very precise about :)

Usually if a definition has been created by such an organisation, you'd want to ensure that you memorise that definition almost word-to-word or exactly as the organisation has specified it. Just make sure it does closely resemble the original definition :)
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

asu26

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 07:10:44 pm »
Hey i was just wondering if anyone here got a 50 in health and human, chemistry or history and how they achieved it. I'm in year 12 right now and i'm stressing out its only the second week i know but i feel like im missing something like everyone has this smart strategic study plan and im just here doing hw and making summaries..(sorry i rambled) but yeah if you can tell me how it would be really appreciated!  :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:40 pm »
+1
Hey i was just wondering if anyone here got a 50 in health and human, chemistry or history and how they achieved it. I'm in year 12 right now and i'm stressing out its only the second week i know but i feel like im missing something like everyone has this smart strategic study plan and im just here doing hw and making summaries..(sorry i rambled) but yeah if you can tell me how it would be really appreciated!  :)

Hi there, asu26. Here are some threads you may be interested in:

There is a huge range of other resources in this sub-forum from a huge range of users, many of whom scored very highly.

Best of luck. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:44:55 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 01:08:46 am »

Don't stress about it; some people do have 'smart strategic study plans', but I didn't (except for occasional 2-day-long bursts) and heaps of people don't manage it.  Homework and summaries should be fine as long as you're diligent. :)

Top tips:
1.  Work hard.
2.  Stick to the study design.
3.  Ask questions (here or teacher).
4.  Summarise concisely.
5.  Plough through the threads Joseph41 listed; check out Health and Human Development Resources for more resources.

All the best!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:39:20 am by bangla_lok »

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Catholic College Bendigo
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »
What ways can alcohol or drug misuse lead to relationship breakdown?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 05:34:35 pm »
What ways can alcohol or drug misuse lead to relationship breakdown?

If a person becomes drunk/high they may abuse or be violent to the other, which can break down trust and love between them.
One may also think that the other cares more about alcohol/drugs than themselves.

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 05:50:29 pm »
If a person becomes drunk/high they may abuse or be violent to the other, which can break down trust and love between them.
One may also think that the other cares more about alcohol/drugs than themselves.

Ahh thank you so much. Im just not too good at linking things together.

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 10:31:35 am »
Under what circumstances might people be socially isolated?

sunshine98

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 10:49:15 am »
Do we need to know the scientific names of some diseases as examples ?
Say,  'atherosclerosis' or can I just refer to it as 'hardening of the arteries'?
Also , do I need to understand all the processes that occur with biological stuff? An example I can think of is ,  cholesterol , do I need to know LDL and HDL and stuff like that? Or do I  just need to understand the impact of high cholesterol levels on overall health ?

Thank you  :) :) :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 10:55:57 am »
- Unemployment -> Stress and the lack of money can mean less time to go out
- Disability-> People who are obese usually have low self-esteem and are therefore less confident to go out, and meet new people. They could also often be bullied and left out of groups. 
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 10:57:03 am »
+1
being an indigenous person-suffer against discrimination, living in rural areas, low socio-economic status- those that don't work or don't go school.
Say,  'atherosclerosis' or can I just refer to it as 'hardening of the arteries'?
Also , do I need to understand all the processes that occur with biological stuff? An example I can think of is ,  cholesterol , do I need to know LDL and HDL and stuff like that? Or do I  just need to understand the impact of high cholesterol levels on overall health ?

Best to know the scientific names for the exam, you might be able to answer "hardening of the arteries" on a SAC as your teacher might give you the mark. Just know that LDL is the "bad" cholesterol and HDL is "good". Most importantly it is your understand of the impact high cholesterol levels on overall health :)
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:54 am »
+1

Hmm firstly I always thought atherosclerosis meant the condition where too much plaque (cholesterol) buids up in your blood vessels, often leading to impaired blood flow and hence cardiovascular diseases such as stroke. I don't think 'hardening of the arteries' would be sufficient enough for an answer.

I think it is much better to know the scientific names of certain conditions to use as examples in answers. It's much more safe to use and also saves you from any confusion.

You need to know the difference between LDL and HDL, and how they function. Also what they stand for.
You do indeed need a basic understanding of what high blood cholesterol does (increases the chance of cardiovascular diseases such as stroke)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:02:13 am by Rod »
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 11:28:03 am »
+2

Although it's the hardest thing to spell and pronounce, you should refer to the hardening of arteries (due to fatty LDL cholesterol plaque build-up) as Atherosclerosis. It's just one of those HHD terms you need to be using as it shows you have a deeper understanding of the content :)

And yep, it's essential that you know about Cholesterol, in terms of High density lipoprotein (HDL) "good" cholesterol and Low Density Lipoprotein "Bad" cholesterol - it's especially important to know how they have a role in impacting the Cardiovascular Health NHPA (the role of nutrition questions for the NHPAs will come up in SACs and exams so if you are asked about the role of nutrition in Cardiovascular Health, one of your main points will be about saturated fats and then linking that to build up of LDL cholesterol etc). You need to understand how accumulation of LDL cholesterol can lead to atherosclerosis and how this can then restrict blood flow and increase pressure within arteries and vessels and increase the risk of developing coronary heart disease, hypertension, heart attacks or stroke :) You don't really need to know the biology behind every single topic in HHD as a lot of students that do HHD are not Biology students so it won't get extremely complicated so dont worry! :D But yes for the NHPAs, it is important that you know a little bit about how the disease/condition occurs (this is usually covered in the "Key features of each NHPA" part of the subject :) ).
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)