Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:12:28 pm

Author Topic: Physics Study Score?  (Read 3273 times)  Share 

Theo1290

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Physics Study Score?
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:08:06 pm »
I'm looking to get a study score of 25, how possible is that for someone who's already flunked 2 sacs? The first one I got 29% on, which got boosted to 37%. The second one I just did, I'm not expecting a high result, maybe 50%. I think there'll be 3 more sacs.

The first sac covered chapters 1-3 of Heineman Physics, the second one on chapter 4. All to do with electronics. Overall I'm finding physics a lot harder than last year (my average was about 60 last year), I didn't realise I'd actually have to understand what I'm even learning instead of just knowing how to use some formulas.

I'm unsure of how study scores work, but apparently study score of 25 for a subject would be an average of 60-70%, not 50%, according to my teachers. My average is already well below that, do I need to get only 100s from here on out? I just need 25 as it's pre-requisite, I'm hoping I can score high enough in my other subjects for 85 atar.

And what happens if I find out tomorrow I failed this sac as well with below 40%. I got an S for my last sac. (my teacher last time said anyone who failed the first sac would get a redemption [meaning S instead of N, no redoing the sac] if they showed their book with the work done. I got an S anyways without him looking at my folder because when I tried to show it to him he said he believes I've done the work) I've heard getting an N means you fail the outcome, fail the unit, and the subject doesn't count in your atar score.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:33:24 pm by Theo1290 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Physics Study Score?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 04:32:07 pm »
+2
Hey Theo. :)

Just a quick point on this bit:

I'm unsure of how study scores work, but apparently study score of 25 for a subject would be an average of 60-70%, not 50%, according to my teachers. My average is already well below that, do I need to get only 100s from here on out? I just need 25 as it's pre-requisite, I'm hoping I can score high enough in my other subjects for 85 atar.

Just so you're aware, study scores don't really depend on your raw marks - at least, not in isolation. What I mean by this is that getting 60% throughout the year won't guarantee you a 25 study score or whatever, because different schools have different SACs, and what's required to get 60% at one school might be completely different to another.

Your teachers might have been saying that those are the sorts of scores students in the past have been getting who have then gone on to get a 25 study score - I'm not sure. But no, I don't think you need to get 100% on every SAC from now on - it will change a fair bit depending on your circumstances, but the raw numbers themselves don't mean too much in isolation, and they'll work themselves out.

Honestly, I think the best thing you can do (as much as possible) is to forget about quantitative stuff, and focus more on qualitative stuff. For example, feedback on past SACs, how you can study more effectively and efficiently etc. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.