Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:14:11 am

Author Topic: Double Degree? Will it actually help me?  (Read 2907 times)  Share 

Mongaa

Double Degree? Will it actually help me?
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:27:57 pm »
Hey guys, I'm looking at doing a double degree at either RMIT or Monash haven't decided yet in either eng/business management or eng/commerce.  I just needed to know whether doing a double degree like these will actually assist me in finding a job, and if so HOW much it will assist me.

I was also wondering what the main differences are between doing a commerce or business management degree with engineering?
Thanks

Mongaa

Re: Double Degree? Will it actually help me?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
ok thanks :)
I'll see whether I really want to do it or  not, and I'm currently looking at computer and network engineering so I'm not sure where I'll go with it yet.
But thanks for the input.

asujikungzx

• West Australian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: dtgjgfgh
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:21:05 pm »
I read, I'm very fond of it. It's that I like very much. As I read the more I'm like that most. I wanted to study it further.

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +90
  • School: Camberwell High School
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:20:08 am »
+2
Also, I know that as an engineer, you may be required to call contractors for work (such as calling drillers to drill holes in the road, or construction workers to help in the construction of the building, this is all assuming you choose civil engineering as your field of engineering :P )so making the right decisions by choosing the appropriate contractors at the right price may be helped by a commerce background..

Just in case anyone still reads this section of the forum, I'll just like to point out that Engineering is much much much much x10 more than calling contractors for work, for ANY stream of engineering. Also, you're definitely not going to be the one calling the shots on hiring contractors or projects at whatever prices. I still have massive gaps in my knowledge but I'll share whatever I know having spent 3 separate summers one in consultancy (civil), one on site (electrical/manufacturing) and one in research (Aero/Fluids) for engineering.

Firstly, there are a few main streams (obviously there's heaps others) where engineering can lead to straight from a degree. As you might had guessed, they are:

1. Engineering Consultancy
This role involves alot of design work, which are probably low level and focused on a small section of a major project for a junior engineer. You're daily job scope would be reading engineering drawings, spreadsheets, simple calculations and meetings on a daily basis. The job scope would mostly be internal and dealing with clients and calling projects only comes at a more senior position. There are times when you work on a massive project which multiple consultants which would involve working with other engineering consultancy firms but definitely not calling drillers. Also, you normally design and the project would employ sub-contractors who would manage the execution and stuff.

2. On field/site engineer
This is slightly more related to calling drillers, as it involves supervising the execution of the project. However for big projects, there would already be a set workforce allocated to the project and you would definitely not be choosing construction workers etc. Can't speak the same for smaller project though. This role mainly involves interpreting engineering drawings again, and checking if the standards etc. are met in the engineering processes. Also, improving workflow and efficiency is a critical component to this role.

3. Research
Well this is probably the hardest area to explain. Job scopes will vary depending on multiple factors and I won't be going into detail unless someone wants to know more.

*The roles may inter lap between one another.

Everything being said, having a commerce background is obviously useful for any roles. I am actually taking a financial paper alongside my engineering degree upon realizing that there is only so much you can do and progress being a pure engineer before you have to deal with the management and finance side of things unless you're content on staying in the back office (internal stuff) forever.

P.S. Not really addressing OP's question as it was asked in Jan 2013. All information is to the best of my knowledge and I understand that everyone's experience on the job scope of engineering will vary.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:22:48 am by JinXi »
Monash B.Aero Eng/Sci Discontinued in Sem2 2012 [2011-2015]

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates
^ SNORLAX, I chooosee You!!!