Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:14:29 pm

Author Topic: need advice...  (Read 1353 times)

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
need advice...
« on: May 13, 2019, 02:04:21 pm »
ive been so emotional recently like im crying over the smallest things and getting angry over anything and i honestly have no idea what to do. what are some ways i can calm myself down?
taking a break.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: need advice...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:41:38 pm »
+13
Hey!

Sounds like a reaction to stress. Would really recommend talking to your school's counselor or a teacher you like.

As well as talking to them, making some adjustments to your daily routine to lower your stress a bit would probably help. When you're really stressed, overreacting to situations is quite common, so rather than just focusing on relaxing in the moment, lowering your stress overall is probably going to help avoid those situations.

You could try:
- Regularly setting time aside to spend on a hobby
- Making sure you exercise regularly (even if it's just going for a walk or something like that)
- Making sure you're getting enough sleep - and good quality sleep. If you're going to sleep stressed then you're probably not going to have a good nights sleep, taking time to read a book, listen to music, do some relaxation exercises, or something like that before you go to bed each night might help.

Super important to make sure you're taking care of your mental health throughout high school (and life), so just want to reiterate that talking to people about how you're feeling is really important, there will be people at your school who you can talk to, but if you don't feel comfortable talking to them there are also people you can talk to anonymously (e.g. Kids helpline, headspace, reachout) either online or via phone about school or anything else that's worrying you :)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:17:22 pm »
+4
ive been so emotional recently like im crying over the smallest things and getting angry over anything and i honestly have no idea what to do. what are some ways i can calm myself down?

Hey dude,

Like Phoenix said I'd highly suggest going to see you school counsellor. Don't be afraid to shoot them an email to set up an appointment i'm sure they'll be fine with it. Personally, I'd highly suggest headspace, it really helped me get through stressful parts of life last year, and their new meditation app is also really helpful.
Good luck, I hope you find ways to de-stress :)
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:41:19 pm »
hey guys thank you for your advice and if you have any like foolproof methods on how to calm yourself down itd be really appreciated
taking a break.

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 06:49:22 pm »
+3
hey guys thank you for your advice and if you have any like foolproof methods on how to calm yourself down itd be really appreciated

Hey man,
I think in terms of calming yourself down it comes to what works for you personally. For me, listening to music really helps with nerves and just helps me to relax in general.
Some things that work for some of my mates are going for a run/getting fresh air or even meditation.
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 09:06:59 pm »
+8
I know it's a little late... but better late than never right. (Hopefully?) I have a lot of things I do when I'm feeling stressed because they don't all work all the time.

Often if I'm at home, I will have a long hot shower or a bath and then put on clean trackies. Feeling comfortable but also clean really helps. I have a stack of journals (some with prompts and some without), colouring books and printed out mindfulness sheets and often I will do whichever of those takes me fancy. Sometimes I go on a long walk or bike ride. Sometimes I use a meditation app or try taking some deep breaths. I also have a specific playlist called "anxious" which I chuck on while I'm doing other things. I'm also a stress cleaner so I like to reorganise my desk or wardrobe. Sometimes I just make my bed and lie on top of it.

If I'm at school often I will go and fill my water bottle up. There's a set of taps I go to that's kind of away from the rest of the school and they're generally a nice place to take a few deep breaths. Sometimes I just stick my headphones in or call a friend. When I'm really stressed I try some focusing things like counting all of the blue things I can see or listing things I can see, hear and feels (5,4,3). I also have a lot of fidgeting toys that I take with me EVERYWHERE. (If it's not socially appropriate I wear rings or a hair tie around my wrist.) I think that my personal favourites are fidget cubes and squishy dinosaurs although I have had a variety of stress balls, pens, fidget spinners and other squishy animals.

I think that talking to someone when stress feels unmanagable has been the best decision every time I have. Often if I use strategies like this or talk to someone, I can stop it from escalating.

However, I was out last Sunday (the weekend in the middle of exams) and I had a really massive panic attack. It was really awful as I was surrounded by lots of people who have known me since I was little but don't know me well enough to know I have anxiety. I managed to leave before it got bad but obviously some of them still saw me sitting outside, shaking and crying. When I got home, I knew that I had an exam the next day but made a really difficult choice. I was both physically and emotionally exhausted so I put on some random Netflix and fell asleep. I have always been a very dedicated student so it was really difficult for me not to just try to get on with study but I could feel my body telling me that it physically couldn't.

I guess the moral of this is:
1. There is no foolproof or easy and quick way to get over stress but it can definitely be managed by having some strategies that work for you.
2. Talk to someone- especially a counsellor!!
3. Look after yourself. If you know that you need to do XYZ for your sanity or stress levels: do it! You will thank yourself later.

Hoping that you are feeling like yourself again soon!!

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 09:20:40 am »
I know it's a little late... but better late than never right. (Hopefully?) I have a lot of things I do when I'm feeling stressed because they don't all work all the time.

Often if I'm at home, I will have a long hot shower or a bath and then put on clean trackies. Feeling comfortable but also clean really helps. I have a stack of journals (some with prompts and some without), colouring books and printed out mindfulness sheets and often I will do whichever of those takes me fancy. Sometimes I go on a long walk or bike ride. Sometimes I use a meditation app or try taking some deep breaths. I also have a specific playlist called "anxious" which I chuck on while I'm doing other things. I'm also a stress cleaner so I like to reorganise my desk or wardrobe. Sometimes I just make my bed and lie on top of it.

If I'm at school often I will go and fill my water bottle up. There's a set of taps I go to that's kind of away from the rest of the school and they're generally a nice place to take a few deep breaths. Sometimes I just stick my headphones in or call a friend. When I'm really stressed I try some focusing things like counting all of the blue things I can see or listing things I can see, hear and feels (5,4,3). I also have a lot of fidgeting toys that I take with me EVERYWHERE. (If it's not socially appropriate I wear rings or a hair tie around my wrist.) I think that my personal favourites are fidget cubes and squishy dinosaurs although I have had a variety of stress balls, pens, fidget spinners and other squishy animals.

I think that talking to someone when stress feels unmanagable has been the best decision every time I have. Often if I use strategies like this or talk to someone, I can stop it from escalating.

However, I was out last Sunday (the weekend in the middle of exams) and I had a really massive panic attack. It was really awful as I was surrounded by lots of people who have known me since I was little but don't know me well enough to know I have anxiety. I managed to leave before it got bad but obviously some of them still saw me sitting outside, shaking and crying. When I got home, I knew that I had an exam the next day but made a really difficult choice. I was both physically and emotionally exhausted so I put on some random Netflix and fell asleep. I have always been a very dedicated student so it was really difficult for me not to just try to get on with study but I could feel my body telling me that it physically couldn't.

I guess the moral of this is:
1. There is no foolproof or easy and quick way to get over stress but it can definitely be managed by having some strategies that work for you.
2. Talk to someone- especially a counsellor!!
3. Look after yourself. If you know that you need to do XYZ for your sanity or stress levels: do it! You will thank yourself later.

Hoping that you are feeling like yourself again soon!!

thank you so much babe <3
taking a break.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 12:20:10 pm »
<3