Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:41:45 am

Author Topic: Study Tips?  (Read 1863 times)  Share 

Chloe182

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Study Tips?
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:05:50 pm »
Hello!
So I'm doing early access psych 3/4 and I have a SAC next week on memory and learning (Unit 3 AOS2)... I'm feeling a bit lost on how I should study..
I'm not struggling by any means but I really want to do better, on the Practice SAC for this topic I got 75% and on the previous SAC I got 88%.

I wrote out a bit of a checklist from practice questions I've done and what I should continue revising, but I'm still feeling lost as If I have SO much to remember and juggle.
With my Practice SAC I'm mostly losing a few marks here and there, rather than completely bombing out... So really more PRAC exams/sacs are probably best, is there anything else I should be doing / tips?
[2020]: 3/4 Psych, 3/4 Music Performance
[2021]: ?

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: Study Tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:16:39 pm »
+3
Hello!  :D

I have a Psychology SAC on learning and memory as well next week.  :D

It's really good that you're doing practice questions because I think that's the best way to apply and consolidate your knowledge.
As you've said, there is a lot to remember, so reading through notes is a good side-thing to do as well as it will help you commit those specific details about the concepts into your memory. However, note that this is a little thing you can do but your main revision should be active, that is, including practice questions. I've also found that drawing out concept maps or doing a blurt is a really useful thing to do when you need to remember heaps of information as you're able to link all the concepts together and when you see that they connect, it seems a bit less overwhelming. This will also help in answering questions that require you to draw on information from multiple topics.
Repeating questions/SACs that you didn't score full marks on or ones you're unsure about is really helpful as well as the second time you do it, you'll know whether you actually understood your mistake (or didn't).
Asking your teacher questions you don't understand is another tip so that you know that you're really confident with the information.
Also, this is more of a general thing, but you could target specific areas (in terms of exam/sac/test technique) that brought you down in the last sac, if there were any. This may include evaluating what wrong in the last sac and it doesn't have to be psychology-related things. For example, in the last sac, I ran out of time and so didn't finish the sac and so now I'm trying to figure out why I couldn't finish on time and how I can solve that problem. For instance, I was adding irrelevant, unnecessary info when I was answering questions when that time could be better spent on other questions and I froze up at the start of the sac, taking away precious time. It's good to be aware of these things because sometimes the non-Psychology related things might bring you down and could be the difference in your scores.

This is what I've found that helps me but if I think of more, I'll be sure to edit this post!
Good luck on your SAC!  ;D

Chloe182

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Study Tips?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 08:24:44 pm »
+1
Thank you so SO SO much!
What I did today was I took areas from my checklist that I felt I wasn't so comfortable and just wrote down everything I could remember from those areas; for example Little Albert.
I wrote down everything I could remember from the CC model to the ethics! and I'd check if I missed anything. If I missed anything I'd reread that part a few times and then write it in, close my eyes and try to remember what I had written.
To me that's pretty helpful! and then every now and then I'll see if I can remember it!

It can be a bit time consuming and sounds repetitive but I find it pretty helpful! I guess it comes under maintenance rehearsal :P

I've also often pretended to teach a psychology class myself, even just reading from the textbook in the way my teacher would hahaha. - Just thought maybe these could help you!

You're right about what you said though, after each Practice SAC/short answer question we do my teacher tells us to rewrite the correct/formulated answer :)))
Thanks again!
[2020]: 3/4 Psych, 3/4 Music Performance
[2021]: ?