Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:19 pm

Author Topic: Pick up new subject in year 12?  (Read 10581 times)  Share 

olliesfield

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Pick up new subject in year 12?
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:25:02 pm »
Basically when choosing my subjects i did not really think about scaling and now year 12 has started i feel i am screwed

My Subjects are

Advanced English
Business studies
PDHPE
Biology
VET Entertainment exam

I believe the VET scales horribly and i want to pick up economics as it not only scales well i am quite interested in it, my school says if you have not done the prelimnary hours you cant pick up a new subject but there must be a way around this? Is it possible to start a new subject?

Thank you

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Pick up new subject in year 12?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
Basically when choosing my subjects i did not really think about scaling and now year 12 has started i feel i am screwed

My Subjects are

Advanced English
Business studies
PDHPE
Biology
VET Entertainment exam

I believe the VET scales horribly and i want to pick up economics as it not only scales well i am quite interested in it, my school says if you have not done the prelimnary hours you cant pick up a new subject but there must be a way around this? Is it possible to start a new subject?

Thank you

Hey! Unfortunately, you can't pick up a brand new subject in Year 12. You are required to have completed the Prelim course, which includes something like 120 hours of in-class time. You're going to have to stick with the subjects you chose. However, it's a good thing you didn't think about scaling. You shouldn't be thinking about scaling, you should be doing subjects you enjoy, feel that you're good at, and thus will achieve a higher mark in. Forget scaling, forget ranks, forget weightings and Atars: Just do the best you can, throughout the year, to receive the best overall mark you are capable of. I know it seems tough when you're told that your subjects 'scale badly' (which, to be honest, yours don't anyway), but seriously that ends up not having too massive of an impact on your Atar.

You're not screwed, and you shouldn't think about scaling when you choose your subjects. You're no longer at a stage where you can pick up Economics, and that's okay; if you're interested, it's something you can easily pursue after Year 12. We're always here to help, no matter what you need, so stick around the forums.

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

olliesfield

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:02 pm »
Thank you for that quick reply!

Made me feel better

Your right, I'm just gonna focus on doing the best i can :) and hopefully achieve my goal of 90 +

Thanks heaps
Ollie

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:45:05 pm »
Thank you for that quick reply!

Made me feel better

Your right, I'm just gonna focus on doing the best i can :) and hopefully achieve my goal of 90 +

Thanks heaps
Ollie

You can definitely achieve that goal! Remember that doing well in a subject means doing well overall, no matter how scaling works. So yeah, try your hardest, let us help you out where possible, and a 90+ is within your grasp.

ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:57:36 pm »
There is a way to do both prelim and HSC in one year but it is insanely hard and I do advise against it. Just wanted to put that out there.

But yeah, Jake has you all covered. Just don't think you're screwed cause your not; people have gotten 99.95 with some of the most unexpected of subject combinations

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:51:33 pm »

My Subjects are

Advanced English
Business studies
PDHPE
Biology
VET Entertainment exam

Thank you

Hey olliesfield,

As far as I know (and I don't know much I'm learning as I go :D), Senior Science would be the only subject you could pick up (since you have done Bio) and not have to worry about prelim knowledge, as the Senior Science course can be learnt without prelim knowledge.

Also want to reiterate, any subject scales good if you good at it. Dont just pick economics just because it scales well and you are interested. (This is what happened to me with SOR 2, it scaled well and it is interesting but it is most likely going to be the 2 units that dont count for me, the other 10 will.)

As ruiace said, you can do Prelim + HSC in one year, but dont do that to yourself. It will not be interesting for you and you will not want to study it if you have to do 2 years (8 units?) in less than a year, as by August next year you should have finished all your subjects content.

Just my personal input, but I certainly wouldnt worry about your subjects. If you go well at entertainment, it will pay off for you. A "bad" scaling subject simply means you have to do better at it compared to a "good" scaling subject. I have a mate that is top of entertainment and really good at it, so it will boost his atar up heaps compared to business studies which he thinks won't count because he is not as good at it.

Your life. You have to make the decision yourself. But personally, I would not be putting more stress on myself than I needed to because the HSC is a stressful year and you do have 10 other units to study for.

Awesome_Boi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 12:16:29 pm »
There is a way to do both prelim and HSC in one year but it is insanely hard and I do advise against it. Just wanted to put that out there.

But yeah, Jake has you all covered. Just don't think you're screwed cause your not; people have gotten 99.95 with some of the most unexpected of subject combinations

How could I do this? I just started year 12, and I want to do engineering studies instead of ipt.