Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:20:10 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1235870 times)

rh1A

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3495 on: March 12, 2018, 07:21:30 am »
Hey....what techniques would be included in this quote!?!?
“I am determined to prove a villain", it is made by Richard at the start of King Richard III.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3496 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:29 am »
Hey....what techniques would be included in this quote!?!?
“I am determined to prove a villain", it is made by Richard at the start of King Richard III.

Hey there! I studied KRIII too :) If it's helpful, my own essay is available for free download here :)

I used this quote but without attaching a technique (read how I did it in the essay). You can of course talk about the first person, the high modality in the determination, and you might even find this to be a contrast in comparison to the expectations of a legitimate leader :)

I have a representing task coming up which looks at the comparison of 1984 and Metropolis and I'm really stuck for some original ideas that would be easy to represent and talk about in the justification as we've been told not to compare between Big Brother and Joh Fredersen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my worst area in english  :)

Hey Sophie!

We have a few great essays on 1984 uploaded [ur=https://atarnotes.com/notes/?pag=1&state=3719&subject=4864&unit=0&key=1984&sort=date]here[/url] where you can download them for free. You might find some ideas there that could inspire your own ideas :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

rh1A

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3497 on: March 12, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »
Hey there! I studied KRIII too :) If it's helpful, my own essay is available for free download here :)

I used this quote but without attaching a technique (read how I did it in the essay). You can of course talk about the first person, the high modality in the determination, and you might even find this to be a contrast in comparison to the expectations of a legitimate leader :)
Thanks very much :)

Can someone please help me on rewording this topic sentence of my essay  more clearly:
The corruption of power through Richard’s endeavour to overthrow the moral dictates of the natural order in the Elizabethan era is redefined by Pacino in a postmodern context.

The question to the essay is this ( in case it helps):
How effectively is the value of humanism and morality revealed to audiences through the composer’s representation of The Vice?

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3498 on: March 12, 2018, 05:44:54 pm »
Thanks very much :)

Can someone please help me on rewording this topic sentence of my essay  more clearly:
The corruption of power through Richard’s endeavour to overthrow the moral dictates of the natural order in the Elizabethan era is redefined by Pacino in a postmodern context.

The question to the essay is this ( in case it helps):
How effectively is the value of humanism and morality revealed to audiences through the composer’s representation of The Vice?

Hi...

Perhaps you could try putting the topic sentence in an active voice? E.g. 'Jerry walked the dog' (active, because the subject of the sentence comes first), as opposed to 'the dog is walked by Jerry'.
(I am notorious for writing in passive voice, so I find it becomes clearer when I switch it around).

E.g. 'Pacino redefines Richard's tyrannous corruption, making the Elizabethan intentions of Shakespeare relevant in a post-modern context.

This way, you can really own what you want to say about how the text is moderated for a modern audience - is it Richard's usurpation? His disregard for morals and conscience?

Remember also too, the question is asking you to make a judgement on how effective the themes are conveyed.

Hope this helps  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:14:59 pm by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3499 on: March 12, 2018, 07:04:07 pm »
Hello,

I was just wondering how I could differentiate between Meatworks and Flames and Dangling Wire in my analysis because at the moment my analysis for both poems seems to focus on consumerism and reassessment. Even though my teacher says its ok, I would like to try and make a clear distinction between the two poems but I'm sorta struggling a bit. And my half yearlies are pretty soon so I would like to try avoid analysing a different poem.

Thank you

theyam

rh1A

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3500 on: March 12, 2018, 07:06:10 pm »
I didn't really look at the question, but perhaps you could try putting the topic sentence in an active voice? (I am notorious for writing in passive voice, so I find it becomes clearer when I switch it around).
E.g. start the sentence with 'Pacino redefines...'

This way, you can really own what you want to say about how the text is moderated for a modern audience - is it Richard's usurpation? His disregard for morals and conscience?
Can you please give me an example of this?

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3501 on: March 12, 2018, 07:19:16 pm »
+2
Hello,

I was just wondering how I could differentiate between Meatworks and Flames and Dangling Wire in my analysis because at the moment my analysis for both poems seems to focus on consumerism and reassessment. Even though my teacher says its ok, I would like to try and make a clear distinction between the two poems but I'm sorta struggling a bit. And my half yearlies are pretty soon so I would like to try avoid analysing a different poem.

Thank you

theyam

Hi...
For FDW, could you focus more on the philosophical extended metaphor of the poem, as opposed to the physical rubbish dump? You can find some good quotes for it in the second half of the poem.

For meatworks, I think it is definitely emphasising the physical atrocities that take place. To try and differentiate the two more - one is more of a physical discovery (meatworks), and the other, a spiritual discovery (FDW).
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3502 on: March 12, 2018, 07:53:22 pm »
Hey ;D
I am doing RIII and LFR and am wondering if any one has any ideas of examples of free will shown in LFR...
I am very stuck!! ;)
thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3503 on: March 12, 2018, 08:33:52 pm »
Can you please give me an example of this?

Howdy! Active vs passive voice is a great thing to understand for expression. It is to do with the subject of the sentence. In a 'passive' sentence, the subject of the sentence receives the action, has it done to them. In an 'active' sentence, they perform the action.

Active: Shakespeare uses metaphor to show the audience stuff.
Passive: The audience is shown stuff by Shakespeare's metaphor.

I'm definitely not the best with this sort of language analysis, but like 99.99% sure I've explained that right. Ahahaha. Don't stress about this a heap, but using active voice is generally a way to make things more concise. It tends to read easier!

LaraC

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3504 on: March 13, 2018, 12:05:03 am »
Hello,

Could someone please help me out with what Shakespeare's purpose would be in using the theme of "Free will vs providentialism" in Richard III?

rh1A

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3505 on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:00 am »
Howdy! Active vs passive voice is a great thing to understand for expression. It is to do with the subject of the sentence. In a 'passive' sentence, the subject of the sentence receives the action, has it done to them. In an 'active' sentence, they perform the action.

Active: Shakespeare uses metaphor to show the audience stuff.
Passive: The audience is shown stuff by Shakespeare's metaphor.

I'm definitely not the best with this sort of language analysis, but like 99.99% sure I've explained that right. Ahahaha. Don't stress about this a heap, but using active voice is generally a way to make things more concise. It tends to read easier!

Hey thanks so much!!!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3506 on: March 13, 2018, 05:54:05 am »
hey I was wondering if someone could help me with thesis ideas for this essay question:

Explore how the change in context from 1920s Germany to Post WW2 Britain/Europe has both Lang and Orwell’s depictions of Power and Control

im kinda stuck and don't know where to start

thank you

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3507 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:33 am »
+2
Hello,

Could someone please help me out with what Shakespeare's purpose would be in using the theme of "Free will vs providentialism" in Richard III?
Shakespeare was promoting the idea of providentialism in order to suit his purpose of promoting the Tudor's legitimate right to the throne. He uses this theme, to highlight the villainy of Richard as someone who is making the choice to disregard providentialism and act on free will- thus leading to his demise. His theme serves as a warning for the Elizabethan society, as anyone who is willing to oppose the current Tudor ruling will similarly experience demise.
Sorry not sure if this helps too much?
Refer to Shakespeare's religious/political context for his purpose....

Leah_K

• Adventurer
« Reply #3508 on: March 13, 2018, 08:02:25 am »
Hey!
Could someone help me with a technique for this quote from Richard III:

"Princes have but titles for their glories..."

thanks! :)

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #3509 on: March 13, 2018, 09:21:35 am »
Hey!
Could someone help me with a technique for this quote from Richard III:

"Princes have but titles for their glories..."

thanks! :)
I can't really see much in here - can you use it without a technique? If you need a technique, maybe tone?