Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:14:29 pm

Author Topic: English affects the final atar score so much.  (Read 24853 times)  Share 

Ravit

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Shah Rukh is my son.
  • Respect: +8
  • School: Werribee Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: English affects the final atar score so much.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 09:59:17 pm »
they are special people arent they.
2012: Psych [44]
2013: Science at UOM
2016: Hopefully MD

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 09:59:53 pm »
you're so biased towards yourself.
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Ravit

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Shah Rukh is my son.
  • Respect: +8
  • School: Werribee Secondary College
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:35 pm »
sorry its because my dad was one.
2012: Psych [44]
2013: Science at UOM
2016: Hopefully MD

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 10:01:52 pm »
LOL me to brahhhhh
lets go drink some cha, my new bbfffl.

Anyways.
English language as a subject is quite enjoyable, :) if i got a 45 i'd be over the moon! so much thought tho!
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 11:08:39 am »
+4
I thought I was good at English.. then I joined ATARNotes.
My teacher last year marked me so easy, it's ridiculous, even the people who were illiterate got B's, so now I go into Year 12 thinking I'm awesome at English when in actuality I'm fairly mediocre compared to everyone else in the state.. FML.

My only hope atm is the study guide written by the gods of English which I have purchased from AN Notes.. this I hope will give me the skills I need to achieve English success.

Most people on ATARNotes are above average students (aiming 95+), so it's definitely not indicative of the whole state (at least I hope so haha).

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 02:40:05 pm »
Same happened with me. When I joined this site at the end of Year 10, I was getting high 90s for most of my SACs and I honestly thought English was my best subject... I have a lot to improve on!

Luckily this year, my teacher said she will mark essays at the Year 12 standard. I've done one language analysis so far and I got 84% on it, but the teacher said it's not a bad Year 12 mark for a Year 11 student as it's already sitting towards the top end. She also reminded me I have a whole year to work on my writing and that by Year 12 I should be achieving better marks. :)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »
+2
Most people on ATARNotes are above average students (aiming 95+), so it's definitely not indicative of the whole state (at least I hope so haha).

+1, ATAR Notes, as a cohort, is ridiculously strong (from those who posted their ATARs last year). Don't go by that as a comparison otherwise is can be pretty depressing (I know it was for me at time too) :)

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
  • School: I shouldnt say.
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 05:37:47 pm »
+3

+1, ATAR Notes, as a cohort, is ridiculously strong (from those who posted their ATARs last year). Don't go by that as a comparison otherwise is can be pretty depressing (I know it was for me at time too) :)

... Depressing? 99.35? What? XD
Im personally glad english has to be counted in top 4, because it's comforting to know our future doctors will be able to speak english.
Happy enough after one hell of a year.

<3 Life goal: ---->  Prosthetics and Orthotics
2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »
+3

Haha, I meant before ATARs! :D I never thought I would get 99.35, 99.15 was the dream for me after year 11 :D

mpathy

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2012, 05:55:00 pm »
+4

Haha, I meant before ATARs! :D I never thought I would get 99.35, 99.15 was the dream for me after year 11 :D
Lol I'd be happy with a 85.. goddamn you guys are successful.

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
  • School: I shouldnt say.
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 05:56:02 pm »
+2
Im cool - id be happy with 76 coz that would get me into my course xD
Happy enough after one hell of a year.

<3 Life goal: ---->  Prosthetics and Orthotics
2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

greenbeans

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »
+3
I think it's great that English does count towards the top 4. However I can acknowledge but not necessarily understand why people get so frustrated with it being so 'important'. Yes, some people are better at English than others. Yes, they *can* have an advantage. But so what? Work at it. The point made previously is that we want our doctors to be able to communicate with us. Whatever course post-high school students go into, you want them to be effective communicators, regardless of career aspiration.
VCE 2010/2011
English | English Language | French | Music Performance | Further Maths | Legal Studies

Bachelor of Arts, Monash
Linguistics | French | Journalism | Criminology

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »
+2
Yes, they *can* have an advantage. But so what? Work at it.

This. In my opinion, English is the BEST subject to improve in if you are willing to put in the hard yards. And at the end of the year, when you get an English score that you once thought was way out of your reach (whether it be 35, 44 like me, or 50), it'll be one of the best feelings you'll ever have academically and the perfect way to round off your schooling :D

BoredSatan

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • <3
  • Respect: +72
  • School: GWSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 08:36:20 pm »
English let me down.. For example.. I beat him in all my other subjects except English in which he got a 50.. He gets 99.90, I get 99.75
Master of Dentistry, Latrobe University 2011 ATAR: 99.75
ATARnotes Accounting Unit 3&4 Study Guide Author

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:05 am »
+1
Yes, they *can* have an advantage. But so what? Work at it.

This. In my opinion, English is the BEST subject to improve in if you are willing to put in the hard yards. And at the end of the year, when you get an English score that you once thought was way out of your reach (whether it be 35, 44 like me, or 50), it'll be one of the best feelings you'll ever have academically and the perfect way to round off your schooling :D

This.

And that point about essays Stick - I'll concur. Your first essays in say end of year 11 or start of year 12 may not be THAT good - but you improve dramatically the more essays you write. Personally - last year in EngLang - I wasn't too happy with my essays at the start of the year, I was scoring around the 11.5-12 (out of 15) at the start of the year then started stressing coz I was worried that I couldn't improve. Even at the middle of the year I was still scoring around the 12-13 range. By the week before the exam I was consistently getting 14's. So yeah, you improve heaps throughout the year - just keep writing essay after essay after essay!

As for the number...I think I wrote around 20-25ish, but you can write way more than that especially with English (coz it's all essays). In the paper there was a Melb High dude who had written 80, and there was a guy in my school (mchli) who wrote in excess of 100 if I recall correctly. HAVING SAID THAT, 80-100 essays aren't necessary, but I'm just showing that you have plenty of essays to practice and improve!
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology