Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:49:58 pm

Author Topic: VCE: Literature vs English Language.  (Read 44813 times)  Share 

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: English Lit vs. English Language?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »
+2
I read the first post (nothing else) and it seems that you are really emphasising the difficulty of literature...
I do literature and not English. I am not a strong English student and I also hate reading. But I am still hoping for a 30-35 in literature. I hope I don't regret this choice...

Why did you choose Literature then?

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 05:56:31 pm »
I read the first post (nothing else) and it seems that you are really emphasising the difficulty of literature...
I do literature and not English. I am not a strong English student and I also hate reading. But I am still hoping for a 30-35 in literature. I hope I don't regret this choice...
Literature isn't really more difficult than English, don't let it bother you. I found it a lot easier, to be honest, but it comes down to the individual. If you want any tips feel free to hit me up.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »
WOW. english language is definitely not easier than english. i'm on stuggle street over here.... :S

See!? And Kaille I was there too dw, best I could say is try make your OWN models of how language works - and also the most important thing is good examples!

can you please elaborate on making own models thushan!? sounds like a great idea which ive never thought about!
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »
Bhootnike - like for instance - I derived a concept that language, mere words and sounds cannot irritate or be seen as low-class or whatever, it's simply the associations - and merely associations. I used that concept in all of my essays. Another example is when you look at jargon, euphemism, etc etc see they have features in common - they all have SPECIFIC FEATURES that make the language register SUITABLE for the purpose. see how I used a framework to explain everything? Everything makes MUCH more sense!
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »
Bhootnike - like for instance - I derived a concept that language, mere words and sounds cannot irritate or be seen as low-class or whatever, it's simply the associations - and merely associations. I used that concept in all of my essays. Another example is when you look at jargon, euphemism, etc etc see they have features in common - they all have SPECIFIC FEATURES that make the language register SUITABLE for the purpose. see how I used a framework to explain everything? Everything makes MUCH more sense!
Being creative and original got you good marks? Who would have thought?! :P
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:53 pm »

:|
im about to commit a deadly sin.
------------------------------
Isn't that just something we learn in English language anyway tho ? like, my teacher has talked about both those points hahah. haven't done many essays at school yet, so haven't applied it to any of my work :p
mm, tbh im sort of confused :p I don't get what you mean by using a framework now hahha

do you mean to say like, if through my study, I establish a theory of my own which I can backup through evidence, that will earn good marks  in an essay ?
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »

Mate, that's an understatement.

You just attempted to contradict Thushan.

Good luck buddy :P

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 10:18:09 pm »
+1

Mate, that's an understatement.

You just attempted to contradict Thushan.

Good luck buddy :P

Maybe he'll leave some peace in my soul cause we're both curries? :p you know ? sorta like mates rates!

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:10 pm »

------------------------------
Isn't that just something we learn in English language anyway tho ? like, my teacher has talked about both those points hahah. haven't done many essays at school yet, so haven't applied it to any of my work :p
mm, tbh im sort of confused :p I don't get what you mean by using a framework now hahha

do you mean to say like, if through my study, I establish a theory of my own which I can backup through evidence, that will earn good marks  in an essay ?

Yup - it's talked about in class, but I don't think its emphasised enough. I'm talking about the realisation that language and judgement is basically a mix-and-match and has basically NOTHING to do with intrinsic properties of sounds...

As for the second point - was it talked about in your class? It wasn't talked about in mine to any great depth - I had to work that out for myself... :/

LOL what you mean by deadly sin??

dilks

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »
What about the Bouba/Kiki Effect?
English (49) Software Development (44) Psychology (43) IT Applications (40) Methods (35) Physics (34) ATAR: 97.15 Course: Master of Engineering (Software) Also providing English tuition. Students in the North Eastern suburbs especially convenient as I live in Ivanhoe. Interested in giving tuition to students studying Computing.

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2012, 12:30:33 pm »
Ohh okay. I get you hahaah :p
and yeah, well actually, the second point in particular has been rubbed into our faces all throughout the year! ~ e.g. jargon has many features, namely on of marking group identity, and also allowing for more efficient communication.
So classic case I find is for example, consider a gaming lounge, where a bunch of computer kids talking away about their GTX-1000 and the i.c7, 16gb ram and 1tB hard-disk. This allows for more precise and efficient communication, and most importantly, this language use is a part of the 'gaming' register!

deadly sin - i hate contradicting you Thushan. that's all ;)

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »
You've got a good grasp of the stuff I have to say! And a good teacher :)

I actually had to make the model for myself because I had to take the class for a couple of weeks...