Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:23 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207558 times)  Share 

lauren.king20

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #750 on: October 08, 2020, 01:58:40 pm »
What are some themes that can be explored and analysed in 'Go Back to where you came from'? Thanks

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #751 on: October 08, 2020, 03:47:40 pm »
+3
What are some themes that can be explored and analysed in 'Go Back to where you came from'? Thanks

Hey, lauren.king20!

Welcome to the forums  :D There are many themes explored within the text but some of the major themes for "Go Back" that you might choose to discuss in your Texts and Human Experiences essay include prejudice/ignorance, intercultural understanding, relationships, travel (journeying, challenges and struggle can narrow this theme down further), national identity and belonging. I think all of these themes can enable you to make a greater argument about how texts aim to represent diverse voices and experiences to foster empathy, an important quality to have when navigating the human experience, within audiences. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Jules.z

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #752 on: October 18, 2020, 03:34:50 pm »
what technique would these quotes be?
"Liquor, however, is stronger than Unionism"
“departed was a “Roman”, and the majority of the town were otherwise”
“the funeral procession numbered fifteen souls”

and what is 'political perspective' e.g. explain how the political perspective of identity in Lawson’s narratives establishes the motivation for affirming our own sense of cultural identity?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 06:02:23 pm by Jules.z »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #753 on: October 19, 2020, 10:51:33 pm »
+5
what technique would these quotes be?
"Liquor, however, is stronger than Unionism"
“departed was a “Roman”, and the majority of the town were otherwise”
“the funeral procession numbered fifteen souls”

and what is 'political perspective' e.g. explain how the political perspective of identity in Lawson’s narratives establishes the motivation for affirming our own sense of cultural identity?

Hey Jules.z!

Hopefully this isn't too last minute of me to suggest but there are a few techniques you might want to use for them. Here are some of my suggestions!

- "Liquor, however, is stronger than Unionism"; this is a great example of juxtaposition since we have the alcohol being consumed at the funeral being compared to the actual people there themselves.

- “departed was a 'Roman', and the majority of the town were otherwise”; you could look at third-person narration or detached tone here since there is a sense of distance being created in this line.

- “the funeral procession numbered fifteen souls”; a slightly fancier technique which you could use is metonymy which is where a word replaces another word to add meaning to it (so in this case,  fifteen "souls" being more effective than fifteen "people" or "individuals."

I would highly recommend this useful glossary of literary devices if you wanted to have some last-minute techniques up your sleeve to identify and use!

As for political perspective, you might want to look at the relationships between the everyday man and political/social authorities in society which a number of his short stories explore. You could look at how the power dynamics represented highlight the "underdog" and "Aussie battler" attitudes that are deeply ingrained in our understanding of our own sense of cultural identity and what it means to be Australian. Hope this helps and good luck for Paper 1 tomorrow  :D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:59:29 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Jules.z

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #754 on: October 20, 2020, 09:56:28 pm »
+1
thank-you very much ;D ;D

anonymous_bean

• Adventurer
« Reply #755 on: May 01, 2021, 05:53:59 pm »
English
Hi this is my first time posting here.
My question is what is the difference between language features, narrative conventions and language techniques? I get confused if there is a difference and what are examples of language features. I feel they often overlap?

laurannn

• Adventurer
« Reply #756 on: June 09, 2021, 07:04:36 pm »
GUYS I FORGOT HOW TO POST SEPERATELY BUT I NEED HELP!!!
So this is my assignment for english. I need help with things i should add and someone to edit!!! The question may be about individual and collective identity + culture.

Henry Lawsons texts The Drovers Wife and The Unions Buries Its Dead reflects on past representations of national identity. Both short stories explore the literary genre of realism that purports to represent a person or thing in a way that is accurate, true and factually synonymous to life. This was an important mode for representing the emerging Australian identity. It was different to the popular forms of British texts, and leant itself well to the harshness and isolation of the Australian environment. In doing this, it shifted away from a romanticised view of Australia and shed light upon the adversities, monotony and the nihilistic attitudes embedded in Australia's collective identity and culture. 

The environment which an individual resides in coerces one to adjust to the current setting for the sole purpose of survival. As the eldest boy espies the snake he yells ‘Stop there, mother! I'll have him. Stand back! I'll have the beggar!’ The Australian vernacular creates a conversational tone by divulging the masculine role the boy is preserving in the absence of a father figure. Additionally, it postulates the Aussie battler ideology as the eldest boy confronts the adversities prevalent in the inexorable Australian environment. Moreover, the Australian outback is described as being vast and bleak as it is “nineteen miles” away from “the nearest sign of civilisation”. The alliteration emphasises the monotony and secluded state of the drover's wife and affirms to the audience the prolonged distance amidst her family and her neighbour. Therefore, it disregards the possibility of acquiring aid in instances of adversities. Thus, the environment one resides in has an immense impact on the attributes an individual inherits.

The Australian landscape is deeply embedded in Australia's culture and identity. The Australian landscape consists of “Bush all round—bush with no horizon, for the country is flat. No ranges in the distance. No undergrowth.” The utilisation of repetition emphasises the absence of familiar features which deprives her of any sensory experiences. Additionally, the waterless creek symbolises nature's ability of working against her./highlights the drovers wife's struggle against her circumstances and the environment.  In doing this, it reveals the abrasive nature of the Australian outback. Furthermore, the negative imagery in “four ragged, dried-up-looking children” affirms to the audience the harsh reality of residing in the bush and the endurance of poverty and adversities. The anonymity eliminates the relevance of these children as Lawson juxtaposes them to the arid setting. Therefore, Lawson divulges the reality of the Australian culture, moving away from a romanticised view.

Australia's national identity has emerged from the implementation of British practices. As the priest sprinkled holy water onto the coffin “the drops quickly evaporated” and the hot sun meant that the guests “shoved their hats on and off uneasily". Through the practical inability of elements of the funeral to take place, Lawson symbolically suggests that British culture and its religion are incompatible with the Australian environment. The incompatibility of British religion with the Australian outback leads to the narrator's nihilistic outlook of spirituality as he believes that “not one of the fourteen possessed a soul any more than the corpse did- but that doesn’t matter”. Lawson compares a funeral possession to a dead man through a simile, suggesting that we become lifeless corpses in the Australian outback. Additionally, he denotes that spirituality becomes meaningless in the bush, where the only motivation is survival. Hence, British practices are a prominent feature of the Australian bush identity. 

Australia has self-constructed its own values practices and customs which has formed its identity and culture. When the narrator is asked if he knew the name of the dead man, he responds “no; but I know he was a union man”.-miss what technique can this be? The lack of name strips the dead man of a personal identity, which is replaced with the collective identity of the union. Lawson suggests that the union, rather than religion, act as the force which binds outback culture and provides some remnant of meaning within a barren nihilistic landscape. Furthermore, 

rubyw

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #757 on: February 23, 2022, 05:12:45 pm »
Hi !
I have to write an essay for Module A on Henry Lawsons short story 'The Drovers Wife' and was wondering how id answer this question - how is language used to express the complexities and subtleties of personal, social and cultural identity?

Thanks heaps!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #758 on: March 06, 2022, 10:35:37 am »
+2
Hi !
I have to write an essay for Module A on Henry Lawsons short story 'The Drovers Wife' and was wondering how id answer this question - how is language used to express the complexities and subtleties of personal, social and cultural identity?

Thanks heaps!

Hey, rubyw!

I hope this isn't too late of a response! If I was to approach that question, the key words I would examine are "complexities" and "subtleties" which often means that beyond appearances, there lies hidden truths, qualities and/or features that reveal greater depth to an individual or collective group. Using 'The Drover's Wife' as an example, you might want to examine in three separate body paragraphs (since your task seems to be just focusing on this one short story) how its themes help us understand the nature of personal, social and cultural identities. For personal, you could look at the theme of resilience and how the protagonist displays strength amidst adversity and danger. For social, you might examine the role of power in the domestic household which contrasts with the setting of the bush landscape. For cultural, gender is a fantastic theme to analyse with this short story since you can explore the way the short story actively challenges stereotypes and renews our thinking about them. To successfully link this back to the question, you could discuss how language can offer readers the opportunity to investigate and learn more about the situations and circumstances of everyday people. This can help us to empathise deeper and appreciate them more  :D

Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-