Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:26:27 pm

Author Topic: Which English?  (Read 411 times)  Share 

Duck Tails

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +40
Which English?
« on: April 07, 2020, 05:11:03 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm in year 10 and am trying to decide which english VCE i want to do - mainstream english, literature, or english language. I've read a few threads, this one in particular, however I've noticed that most content on the topic is a bit old and I'm unsure if things have changed since 5-10 years ago. Currently I'm leaning towards EngLang, mainly because the whole linguistics bit interests me, however I want to know:
What are the advantages of doing one over the others?
How hard is each subject?
How rewarding is each subject?
+ any other discussion about the three (I definitely had more questions but I can't remember them :P)

Not to toot my own horn, but I'd say I'm at least above average in my class right now. I'm generally pretty good with essay writing, but I think I do fall a bit short with creative writing.

I'd also like to know if there's anything I can do to develop my literacy skills more, specifically grammar and language/vocab.  I know reading is usually the best way to go, but with libraries shut and 3 books off amazon equating to 70-something bucks, I've found it pretty hard to find something I'm actually interested in. I also struggle with the feeling that everything I write is crap, which is something that I won't divulge too much into lmao.

Any input is welcome, thanks guys :)
KLD Class of 2022
VCE 2021: Biology [41], Religion and Society [34]
2022: Chemistry, Methods, Revolutions, English Language

brothanathan

Re: Which English?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 05:57:22 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
I'm in year 10 and am trying to decide which english VCE i want to do - mainstream english, literature, or english language. I've read a few threads, this one in particular, however I've noticed that most content on the topic is a bit old and I'm unsure if things have changed since 5-10 years ago. Currently I'm leaning towards EngLang, mainly because the whole linguistics bit interests me, however I want to know:
What are the advantages of doing one over the others?
How hard is each subject?
How rewarding is each subject?
+ any other discussion about the three (I definitely had more questions but I can't remember them :P)

Not to toot my own horn, but I'd say I'm at least above average in my class right now. I'm generally pretty good with essay writing, but I think I do fall a bit short with creative writing.

I'd also like to know if there's anything I can do to develop my literacy skills more, specifically grammar and language/vocab.  I know reading is usually the best way to go, but with libraries shut and 3 books off amazon equating to 70-something bucks, I've found it pretty hard to find something I'm actually interested in. I also struggle with the feeling that everything I write is crap, which is something that I won't divulge too much into lmao.

Any input is welcome, thanks guys :)

Hi there!

Would be great to read the following two books for starters: A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics by David Crystal and Mastering Advanced English Language by Sara Thorne hello ebooks and etc.

Don't worry if there's anything you can't comprehend at first as your intuition will improve greatly from exposure to various uses of language and text types, and knowledge from other subjects your doing at school.

The advantages of VCE English Language is it is based around the field of linguistics as you already know and this allows us to understand language use in our day-to-day lives and better understand the society we situate in. You'll generate your own answers to questions like why X won't state this or why Z has to write in such a faint way. This alone is very rewarding in itself.

Assuming you have a passion for linguistics in general it shouldn't be a hard subject, and once you get the gists of what makes a VCE English Language essay you'll be able to feel what you've written is quality or waffle.

Because like anything in life, if you have the grit do something you'll eventually achieve or succeed your ambitions.

I better leave the rest for your personal research! Happy exploring  ;D

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:50:13 pm by brothanathan »