Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:20 pm

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
VCE Biology / Re: Photosynthesis question + experimental design
« Last post by NN900 on July 15, 2022, 10:27:51 pm »
How does the duration given for light exposure in Elodea affect the number of bubbles (oxygen) produced? What is the independent variable in this? I’m stuck on whether it’s the duration of time given for light exposure and/or whether the Elodea plant receives light exposure

As our control group is no light exposure for 15, 20, 25 minutes.

Hello angelabean,
For this, I would say it is more about how much light an Elodea is being exposed to. This is because as it absorbs more light (let's say it's light intensity), so if there's higher light intensity, it means that the rate of photosynthesis will increase. Thus, more oxygen bubbles will be produced. In saying this, the duration can also affect the number of bubbles being produced but it is not the main factor. (If it's possible, you can also check the changes in the pH level to see how light intensity can impact the amount of oxygen).
- For instance, if the plant is placed near the light source for 15 mins, it may produce more oxygen bubbles than the ones that are further away from the light source (even though, the duration it exposes to light is longer.)

Hope this helps.
VCE Biology / Re: Company papers recommendations?!
« Last post by NN900 on July 15, 2022, 06:31:39 pm »
Can someone recommend any company that publishes tests which help with SAC +Exam prep? I want to purchase some bc my school doesn't give us much resources and I want to buy company papers but not sure which ones are the best..

Hello Rose34,
If you want to purchase SAC + Exam prep, I think it would be best to use the paper from NEAP (mostly on point). However, there are a range of commercial companies such as TSSM (sometimes, it goes beyond what you need to know),  AtarNotes (AN) (their notes are for free  :) ), ACED, Insight, Edrolo (not really useful as their practice questions are very similar to VCAA exams, so I rather use past exams from VCAA), Access, QATs.

Hope this help.
Selective Schools Admissions Tests / Re: Henderson's Paper Inquiries
« Last post by SHS001 on July 15, 2022, 05:32:51 pm »
Hi,
I don't think it is easy, may be you guys prepared really well :-) , The actual exam of VR and RC are similar to the one of Henderson and last year NR and Maths were tougher.
Which year HR paper you have solved.
Selective Schools Admissions Tests / Re: Henderson's Paper Inquiries
« Last post by brianwilsonrt on July 15, 2022, 04:57:53 pm »
I've been taking Henderson's practice exams in preparation for the exam on the 23rd, and they seem far too simple for the actual thing. wordle 2
Victorian Education Discussion / Biology U3/U4 and Exam SS%
« Last post by shadman on July 15, 2022, 01:53:32 pm »
Say if hypothetically you've flopped Unit 3 of Biology (but so has the entire cohort) what are the chances of personal redemption and getting an ss score of at least 40?

(This is purely hypothetical, this isn't me trust)
Victorian Technical Score Discussion / What marks do I need realistically?
« Last post by pel0010 on July 15, 2022, 09:45:25 am »
Hello Everyone!

I'm curious about what study scores I need realistically for a 95 atar. And then what SAC and exam marks ill need to achieve those.
I'm looking at the examiner's remarks to previous sacs, and I can tell that I will get full marks in questions where most people didn't, yet my average marks are around 82%
I rank at the higher end of my cohort, which might be important idk

Thank you!

VCE Mathematical Methods CAS / Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Last post by james.358 on July 14, 2022, 11:26:05 pm »
Love to help but attachment says "404 - attachment not found" when I try to open it.

Not sure if it's just me?
VCE Mathematical Methods CAS / Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Last post by beep boop on July 14, 2022, 09:45:50 pm »
Hi All,

Can someone please help me with q29 part a?

I'm kinda confused as to what to put on the tree diagram bc 1/3 and 5/9 doesn't add up to 1.

Much appreciated,
beep boop
I was pretty interested in this when I first read it, and I always love editing, so here! Disclaimer: if you feel the advice doesn't fit, don't use it. This is just things I noticed that you could change if you thought it made sense.

INTRODUCTION
"In the words of Sigmund Freud, “time spent with cats is never wasted.” - This sentence sounds awkward as a first sentence, it's something that is usually expected at the end of a paragraph rather than the beginning. I think if it was reworded, it could flow with the rest of the piece well. An example (this isn't the best but it's mainly for ideas):
"Time spent with cats is never wasted," I'm sure that many of us would agree with Sigmund Freud's sentiment." This comes off as more natural, though you probably should just try different phrases until you see what sounds right. It has to sound consistent on paper and whilst it's being spoken.
And I would recommend for you to think about why you're including this quote. Is it because you agree with the sentiment? What relevance does Sigmund Freud have to your persuasive? According to my understanding he was a neurologist, but is he significant to your piece? Using him for an expert opinion is good, but unless you include something stating that he's a neurologist, it will come off as random and your audience may not know him.
"Pets don’t judge us in any way and instead love us unconditionally." - Use "they" instead of "pets" and also remove "instead" for a better sentence flow.
"We always expect them to be there for us, so why can’t we do the same? It’s about time we stop underestimating what caring for a pet entails. It’s much more than just providing food and a couple of toys." - This is a strong set of sentences, it's very solid. However, it needs to be rearranged for the most part. The introduction would have a lot more impact if the second sentence was the last sentence and if "about" was removed. Apart from that it's all good! It would also be a good idea to point out how humans and pets both need more than just food and toys, therefore, why can't we do the same?

- Just in general, you need more evidence in your arguments. I understand the emotional appeal you are using and it's great; but there needs to be evidence or statistics in there as well. When referencing Mao Mao's anxiety at the pet's, I recommend you mention a specific example of how you could sense the anxiety in order for the audience to be able to clearly picture it. You also need to discuss specific evidence. Here are two articles (which you've probably already read) that I found were good to quote.
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/50/10/861/233998
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/yes-dogs-can-catch-their-owners-emotions#:~:text=A%20study%20in%20a%202018,their%20gaze%20and%20heart%20rate.
- Second last and last sentence would probably work better combined and shorter. Example:
"Pets are not emotionless, and they deserve attention for their mental health in the same way we do."

"Nowadays, everyone's" - Switch to "These days, everyone is"
This is the strongest paragraph (just in my opinion, I don't know which one you thought was strongest). Using your anecdotes with Mao Mao hit hardest, I think, and including her throughout the piece was both clever and interesting to read about.

- Instead of telling the audience "If you go ahead and google..." you should probably say something like "When googling '*insert phrase here*' most of the results are related to how ..."
"And no longer ignored" - Remove, you've already stated that it needs to be addressed.

CONCLUSION

I don't actually have anything. I really like this conclusion!

Okay, so if you have any questions about anything here, feel free to ask! And remember that this is optional and all that. Good luck on your assignment!
VCE Biology / Re: VCE Biology
« Last post by angelabean on July 14, 2022, 08:32:10 pm »
Hi! I totally know what it feels jumping to a Year 11 subject as I am doing the accelerated pathway on Bio except I'm in Units 3/4 now (In Year 11).
I'll share some of my biggest mistakes undertaking Unit 1/2 Biology and tips that worked particularly well for me.

You asked about the best way to succinctly take notes. I'd like to preface a good set of notes is imperative for exam revision so for you - the mid and end of year exams. So ensure your notes are in detail, with the definition, an example, features and why it is important (because Bio is mainly asking why things are important and why concepts happen). I suggest typing your notes (+ printing if possible) rather than physically writing the content especially because of how content heavy biology is and how flexible it is to move and change things around on your notes digitally as opposed to physically. Additionally, physical note taking is time consuming and while note taking is important to initially learn the content and for a future reference, that time you could have spent writing your notes you could have dedicated it to doing practice tests and questions (further consolidating it) which is the most effective study technique based on science. Just remember to physically complete your practice questions and test, so you can train your hands to write fast!

As I mentioned above, practice questions and tests are one of the most effective learning habits. It allows you to actively recall the information and make connections between Biological concepts, as opposed to just rereading notes and putting the info into your head when it has no way to retrieve it to answer questions. I really enjoyed teaching others and using a whiteboard to draw diagrams of the biological concepts which helped me retrieve the information out.

The biggest hack I'd say is pre-learning the content before the class, so you are equipped with a base line of the content before you actually learn it. Hence, in class you can get a deeper understanding and ask questions about the content. The more you are exposed to the content, the more you'll remember and understand it.

To succeed into Bio, you really just need to understand rather than memorise. Knowing the content back to front, and linking topics together as MOST if not all concepts have some sort of correlation to one another!

Good Luck!

Hope you found my tips helpful in your Bio studies!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]