Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:24:10 am

Author Topic: Monash Bachelor of Business  (Read 960 times)  Share 

Garry1117

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Monash Bachelor of Business
« on: October 01, 2020, 01:02:03 pm »
I just needed to ask about the entry requirements for the Bachelor of Business at Monash University. The selection rank for the course is 82.10 and I receive 4 bonus points for the subjects I do. Does this mean I'll need an ATAR of 78.10 to be within the selection rank for the course? I am also receiving SEAS for a medical condition that can be classified as a learning disability. I'm expected to receive around 3 to 4 points for this as well. Would this ultimately mean I would have to achieve an ATAR of around 74-75 in order to be withing the selection rank for this course? Thank you

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Monash Bachelor of Business
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 07:17:09 pm »
+2
Note: The following assumes you're Victorian and you're doing VCE. ATARNotes caters to the entire country (especially the east coast) so I can't exactly assume. If you do another curriculum e.g. HSC, the calculations will be completely different.

The selection rank for the course is 82.10 and I receive 4 bonus points for the subjects I do. Does this mean I'll need an ATAR of 78.10 to be within the selection rank for the course?
Subject bonuses (also known as "middle band subjects") are a bit weird in that they don't add directly to the ATAR, but they add to the aggregate which feeds into your ATAR.

To clarify, when you receive your results come ATAR Release Day, you'll get a few sets of numbers spat out to you:
- Your raw study scores - what you achieved relative to the rest of the state in that subject that year
- Your scaled SSs - SS after scaling incorporated for the year you did that subject
- Your aggregate score - the cumulative total of your 4 best scaled SSs + 10% each from your next best two scaled SSs (where possible), not putting this into a rank quite yet (So all the calculations before they give you a rank.)
- Your ATAR - the official rank you'll get and use for the higher education entry excluding all SEAS adjustments and all that jazz
The aggregate is used to compare against everyone else in the state when they calculate your ATAR.

When they factor in your subject bonuses, they'll add the 4 points on to the aggregate. This can be a small or large difference to your ATAR, depending on where you sit in your ranking. (Click here for ATAR calculation and click here for the 2017 aggregate to ATAR table.)

Let's say that you got a straight 75.00 ATAR in 2017 and pretend your aggregate is exactly at the bottom cutoff (133.50). If you add your 4 bonus points for your subject bonuses this becomes 137.50, which is now at the top end of a 77.75 ATAR. So while you got a 4 point aggregate bonus from subject bonuses, back in 2017, you would've only shifted 2.25 ATAR "points", if that makes sense.

Typically the pattern is: The higher your initial ATAR is, the less you benefit from these bonus points from subject bonuses. (Using the same year and the bottom cutoff for an ATAR of 95.00 as a comparison, you would've had a shift of 1.10 ATAR "points".) Conversely, the lower your ATAR is, the more this becomes a huge game changer.

As a result, you can't exactly tell how much you'll benefit from it until ATARs and the aggregate to ATAR table both come out, as these change every year. In a typical year, it's ~2-3 ATAR "points" at best. 

Of course, still aim high ATAR-wise and do your best regardless.

I'm expected to receive around 3 to 4 points for this as well. Would this ultimately mean I would have to achieve an ATAR of around 74-75 in order to be withing the selection rank for this course?
See above. I can't remember if SEAS adds to aggregate or directly to ATAR, but playing with the Monash SEAS calculator seems to indicate that it's aggregate? Not sure...

Assuming it's adding 4 points to aggregate, the estimation can't really be figured out, since you've got 2 unknown factors adding in. My personal guess (so take with a heap of salt) would be that a mid-78 ATAR would get you there.
Assuming it's adding 4 points directly to ATAR, the estimation would probably be closer to 76-77 ATAR.

To be honest, I would still aim as high as possible (well above the selection rank) and do your best irrespective of this. It's over not until it's completely over, so give it your best shot! :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread