Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:33:40 pm

Poll

Which Part-time job? (cause I'm incredibly indecisive)

Huxtaburger
6 (46.2%)
Grill'd
2 (15.4%)
Maccas
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 02, 2019, 03:54:01 pm

Author Topic: Which Part-Time Job?  (Read 6676 times)  Share 

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
Which Part-Time Job?
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:35:39 pm »
Hey guys!  :)

Somehow I've been lucky enough to receive job offers at 3 different places.
However, at the end of the day, I can only select one place to work.
Which place do you is better for a first-time job? Huxtaburger, Grill'd or the infamous Maccas

Thanks ;D
(if anyone would like any tips or want someone to read over your resume, my PMs are always open)
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Which Part-Time Job?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:37:11 pm »
What do you see as the pros and cons of each? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 05:50:34 pm »
As an add-on, do you know the pay for each of these jobs? Is it the same, or do they have different EBAs/awards?
From the interview and communicating with them, is there one company you think you prefer the environment/vibe of?

For what it's worth, I've had several friends work at Maccas and they stop getting shifts once they turn 18 because they're a lot more expensive than a 16 year old. I'm sure this doesn't happen all the time but whether you want to keep the part time job long-term as you head into uni and such is another point to consider.

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »
What do you see as the pros and cons of each? :)

Well... all of them are quite close to both school and home.
Huxtaburger seems like a really chill place and is holding a "trial" shift which is a pro. For the others

Grill'd:
Pros:
- The employees seem incredibly nice and are really friendly
- Paid sick and holiday leave
- 50% of burgers (how could that not be a pro?)
- certificate 3 in hospitality through a training program with William Angliss
- Super flexible with exams
- Manager is super chill

Cons:
- Not many extra employee perks like maccas for say
- Having to walk across Yarra bridge (don't know what it's called but it smells) and walking through some blind spots at night
- No pay rise until the completion of the hospitality course (10 months)
- No penalty rates

Maccas:
Pros:
- 50% of McDonald's and that perks card with other places
- Great international reputation for future resumes
- Incredibly familiar with the menu, restaurant, and procedures

Cons:
- SUPER busy and a commonplace for night time fights (hence it'll be stressful and chaotic)
- Not many shifts (from what I've heard)
- Heard that Maccas apparently makes people work overtime
- Shitty pay

Huxtaburger:
Pros:
- Really chill and friendly place
- Can do whatever job whenever (no fixed positions)
- Pay is pretty good for starters (I think)
- Shorter shifts (3 hrs per shift)
- Paid sick and annual leave
- The manager is super nice
- Flexible around school and exam periods

Cons:
- Mirrors everywhere (I hate mirrors)
- Would become the youngest employee

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:54:06 pm by scientificllama »

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 06:02:58 pm »
+1
As an add-on, do you know the pay for each of these jobs? Is it the same, or do they have different EBAs/awards?
From the interview and communicating with them, is there one company you think you prefer the environment/vibe of?

For what it's worth, I've had several friends work at Maccas and they stop getting shifts once they turn 18 because they're a lot more expensive than a 16 year old. I'm sure this doesn't happen all the time but whether you want to keep the part time job long-term as you head into uni and such is another point to consider.

That's actually a pretty good point...
Grill'd possibly have the best opportunity for awards and accreditations. Whilst the others don't have many opportunities to do so except Huxtaburger. As their management team is above the store (slightly extra pressure to perform well but a potential to gain future member roles).
Both Grill'd and Huxtaburger honestly have the same chill and friendly environment but it's hard to tell the complete "working vibe" when the interviews were held as they opened.

Maccas at this point doesn't sound like the best option considering the pay and rostering of its employees. Also, considering it's in the city there's a higher rate of being verbally abused at work (but.... the monopoly stickers are so tempting ;D)

Currently what I know about the pay at all 3 stores is:
Maccas: $10-$13
Huxtaburger: $15+
Grill'd: $13-15 (raises immediately after the course is completed)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 06:16:50 pm »
+1
Don't work at Maccas 

It's not worth it lol  :P
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 06:37:19 pm »
Don't work at Maccas 

It's not worth it lol  :P

Will take that advice on board  ;D

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:33:44 am »
Honestly from the pros and cons you've listed, it seems like Huxtaburger has the most benefits! Don't be discouraged by being the youngest/a younger employee - I work in retail (so admittedly a bit different to hospitality) and have never found age gap to be a barrier to getting on with other employees - everyone is usually pretty nice. Plus, if they're already chill like you say, shouldn't be an issue! Just an opportunity to make some more friends :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 12:55:13 pm »
Grill'd or Huxtaburger will also look better on your resume in the future and will give you a different kind of experience to working at Maccas. (Would definitely not recommend taking the Maccas job with two other options...)

GodNifty

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 01:46:28 pm »
+1
I worked at Maccas when I was in year 9 up till year 10 and I absolutely hated it (not saying you would tho). Do you know where you are stationed to work? The front or the back? I was on grill side and it was exhausting! The training wasn't good either and I remember that on my third shift I was rostered 4pm-11pm and was left alone from 8pm-11pm... Yeah not too great if you ask me.

If anyone actually still works at Maccas, I salute you (especially grill side), there are way too many jobs to do like restock condiments, clean the grill, clean up bench, restock the sundae machine, make burgers in like 10 seconds, deep-fry etc - and this is only the tip of the iceberg...

How old are you? Have a look at this: https://imgur.com/a/j3GCAkn assuming you are hired as a casual, at most times you will be paid + 25% rate (the other rates are special occasions like overnight, public holidays etc)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:40:07 pm by GodNifty »

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 10:36:59 am »
Honestly from the pros and cons you've listed, it seems like Huxtaburger has the most benefits! Don't be discouraged by being the youngest/a younger employee - I work in retail (so admittedly a bit different to hospitality) and have never found age gap to be a barrier to getting on with other employees - everyone is usually pretty nice. Plus, if they're already chill like you say, shouldn't be an issue! Just an opportunity to make some more friends :)

That's really true! Luckily, I'm completing a "trial shift" today (god it's going to be busy) which should help see if that is the best place. Still not sure about the pay though.... It's really good to hear that an age gap doesn't create such a large effect when working in retail.

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 10:40:09 am »
Grill'd or Huxtaburger will also look better on your resume in the future and will give you a different kind of experience to working at Maccas. (Would definitely not recommend taking the Maccas job with two other options...)

After this post, I'm definitely going to deny the job offer. Maccas seems like a gamble. Especially that some places don't train well and the management seems dodgy. As well as that working near Flinders street is hectic.

Thanks for the advice!

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 10:43:45 am »
I worked at Maccas when I was in year 9 up till year 10 and I absolutely hated it (not saying you would tho). Do you know where you are stationed to work? The front or the back? I was on grill side and it was exhausting! The training wasn't good either and I remember that on my third shift I was rostered 4pm-11pm and was left alone from 8pm-11pm... Yeah not too great if you ask me.

If anyone actually still works at Maccas, I salute you (especially grill side), there are way too many jobs to do like restock condiments, clean the grill, clean up bench, restock the sundae machine, make burgers in like 10 seconds, deep-fry etc - and this is only the tip of the iceberg...

How old are you? Have a look at this: https://imgur.com/a/j3GCAkn assuming you are hired as a casual, at most times you will be paid + 25% rate (the other rates are special occasions like overnight, public holidays etc)

Jeez that sounds hectic! I salute you for surviving being stationed at the grill. I am being stationed at the front.
Thank you so much for the chart!
Also, does anyone know if it's illegal not to pay penalty rates? As Grill'd don't do so  :-\

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 11:09:59 am »
Jeez that sounds hectic! I salute you for surviving being stationed at the grill. I am being stationed at the front.
Thank you so much for the chart!
Also, does anyone know if it's illegal not to pay penalty rates? As Grill'd don't do so  :-\
It depends if they have an EBA or if you’re covered by the award. If they have an EBA then they can do whatever the EBA says (even though there are plenty that have been approved which shouldn’t have been...)

If they’re paying you according to the award then you should be getting whatever penalty rates are in the award.

But also grill’d does that whole training thing which is really just an excuse to pay you less because trainees don’t get as much.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 10:31:43 am »
+5
UPDATE:

Just completed my trial shift at Huxtaburger last night and I got the job!
It was actually pretty fun, considering it was super busy because of the footy and all I did was clean and wash dishes (and a bit of waitressing).

Now it's time to pick between Grill'd and Huxaburger... and I still have no clue.
I like Grill'd because I can complete a certificate 3 but it's just an excuse for them to underpay me. Huxtaburger is great and the pay is higher ($13? per hour) than Grill'd but there isn't really any opportunities to progress later on  :-\