Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:26 pm

Author Topic: Screwed up  (Read 1162 times)

as111

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Screwed up
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:52:45 am »
Hi,
I achieved disappointing results for English last year- worth 20%, didn't get anywhere near finishing my half yearly essay which was worth 20%, didn't do as well as I could have for my other subjects either- around 70-85% average, ranked about middle of cohort at school ranked around 45ish. I really want to make it in to medicine, will these marks prevent me from getting an atar over 98 by the end?

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
Re: Screwed up
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:09:58 am »
+6
Hi there! Believe me, I definitely get how you feel! English was never my strong suit, and around half-yearlies I was probably also 40-ish in my cohort.

But between now and the hsc is the best time to improve. Really sit down and think about how you can work on writing faster, coming up with good analyses, etc (I found an essay plan incredibly helpful!)

Right before trials, my teacher was like “if you work really really hard, you MIGHT be able to get a band 6.”
I topped my cohort in the hsc. You can do it. I believe in you.

Don’t forget about your other subjects too— my friend did well in all of her other subjects and got a band 5 in English, but still got a 98.90.

Good luck! :)
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Screwed up
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:51 am »
+3
Hey!

You've probably heard this a billion times but from now on until the HSC, it's all about I M P R O V E M E N T ! ! !

Ever since the start of high school, I loathed english and hated the fact that it was mandatory in Year 11 and 12. My mark average in Year 11 was around ~65%. In Year 12 I just wanted to get a decent mark for this subject. So I submitted practice essays, timed myself, read sources online, get help here on AN, attending the AN trial lecture (Emily's lecture was a lifesaver) and heaps more!

But I honestly think that the best way to study for english is just P R A C T I C E! Keep trying to find a deeper meaning within the texts. Find out the purpose of the text's theme. What is the creator's intentions? Etc.

This is a subject that you can't just study overnight (well technically that applies to any subject really). I submitted 1-3 practice essays per week and it was so helpful. My teacher saw that I was putting heaps of effort into the subject therefore encouraging her to give detailed feedback. I eventually ended up getting 89 for Standard English. It may not be a Band 6 but a high Band 5 is quite hard to grab in english standard. I also know someone who got 79 for Adv. English but still ended up getting an ATAR of 97.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.