Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:13:10 pm

Author Topic: Failed my internals...What to do now???  (Read 12082 times)

Azurelies

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Failed my internals...What to do now???
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:24:36 pm »
Hi, I guess in a state of panic I decided to post this lmao.

My ranks have not been great this year  :'(
Average to below average in a top 5 school, is there any hope for me to be getting an ATAR of, say 97? or even 98?

And how much does external marks actually count for? Because I keep on hearing stories about people, eg. getting 88 for internal mark and 96 in external, but BOS gave them 93, instead of 92 for the final HSC mark. Or that the internal mark didnt even count for them, their HSC mark is only their external mark.

Thanks  :)
Class of 2017
Advanced English - Mathematics Extension 2 - Mathematics Extension 1 - Chemistry - Physics

UON MBBS (Joint Medical Program)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: Failed my internals...What to do now???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:40:14 pm »
+8
Hi, Azurelies!

That doesn't put you at an advantage, but don't be upset about it! It just means you need to work a little bit harder during the trial-HSC period to compensate for your internal. Look forward; plan ahead of time; get as much feedback from your teachers before the holidays. Since you go to a top 5 school, you'll most likely be pulled up by the rest of your cohort. So, 97 or a 98 is still in the game!

The way your HSC marks are determined involve two factors:

1. Your internal ranking and subsequent mark difference.
This just means that NESA doesn't care about the actual mark you get internally, because that gets weighted and moderated by NESA. All they care about are your internal rankings, which is the position against the rest of your cohort, and the mark difference between the person in first place. Everything else, such as actual mark, will get scaled.

2. External mark.
The second important factor is your external mark. This is the 'raw' mark you get after sitting your HSC exam, so whatever you get in the HSC exam is counted as 50% of your final HSC mark. This is actually where the scaling and moderation of your internal ranking takes place.

Process of scaling and moderation
Main article: FROM ASSIGNMENT TO ATAR: HOW YOUR MARKS ARE CALCULATED

The process is actually pretty simple to grasp. The person placed first and last in the cohort will receive the highest and lowest external mark to be their final internal mark. Your own external is yours to keep; no one can touch that. From here, your rankings and internal mark difference will be the scaling factor to how much you've been pulled up or dragged down. So, even if you don't do well internally, just bring up your HSC external exam and a 97 or a 98 can be achieved!

Myself, I actually screwed up my trial exams pretty badly and my estimated ranking are well and truly in the middle of the cohort. So, I'm planning to smash the HSC exams in order to boost my final ATAR. It will be tough, but it is achievable.

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:34 pm »
Whoever told you that they don't count the internal mark or that the average between 88 and 96 is 93 is lying

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:28:29 pm »
+5
What you do have control over is how much time and effort you put in between now and the HSC. The amount you can learn or refine in this time is nothing short of significant. If you clearly identify the areas for improvement in your subjects, you can hone in on them and play it smart. On the forums here we are all 100% here to help you wherever we can, and to be a place for you to rant, cry, destress, procrastinate in a good kind of way, etc. Please reach out if you know of any areas where you want some help and together we'll get there!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Azurelies

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:45:43 pm »
Hi, Azurelies!

That doesn't put you at an advantage, but don't be upset about it! It just means you need to work a little bit harder during the trial-HSC period to compensate for your internal. Look forward; plan ahead of time; get as much feedback from your teachers before the holidays. Since you go to a top 5 school, you'll most likely be pulled up by the rest of your cohort. So, 97 or a 98 is still in the game!

The way your HSC marks are determined involve two factors:

1. Your internal ranking and subsequent mark difference.
This just means that NESA doesn't care about the actual mark you get internally, because that gets weighted and moderated by NESA. All they care about are your internal rankings, which is the position against the rest of your cohort, and the mark difference between the person in first place. Everything else, such as actual mark, will get scaled.

2. External mark.
The second important factor is your external mark. This is the 'raw' mark you get after sitting your HSC exam, so whatever you get in the HSC exam is counted as 50% of your final HSC mark. This is actually where the scaling and moderation of your internal ranking takes place.

Process of scaling and moderation
Main article: FROM ASSIGNMENT TO ATAR: HOW YOUR MARKS ARE CALCULATED

The process is actually pretty simple to grasp. The person placed first and last in the cohort will receive the highest and lowest external mark to be their final internal mark. Your own external is yours to keep; no one can touch that. From here, your rankings and internal mark difference will be the scaling factor to how much you've been pulled up or dragged down. So, even if you don't do well internally, just bring up your HSC external exam and a 97 or a 98 can be achieved!

Myself, I actually screwed up my trial exams pretty badly and my estimated ranking are well and truly in the middle of the cohort. So, I'm planning to smash the HSC exams in order to boost my final ATAR. It will be tough, but it is achievable.

Hi! Opengangs, Thank you so much for your reply, and yes will be going to all my teachers for more feedback, target all my problem areas and work harder from now on.
Best luck for you too! We are all in this together :)
Class of 2017
Advanced English - Mathematics Extension 2 - Mathematics Extension 1 - Chemistry - Physics

Azurelies

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:02:21 am »
What you do have control over is how much time and effort you put in between now and the HSC. The amount you can learn or refine in this time is nothing short of significant. If you clearly identify the areas for improvement in your subjects, you can hone in on them and play it smart. On the forums here we are all 100% here to help you wherever we can, and to be a place for you to rant, cry, destress, procrastinate in a good kind of way, etc. Please reach out if you know of any areas where you want some help and together we'll get there!
Thank youu :))
Class of 2017