Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:37:35 pm

Author Topic: One Month Before Trials?  (Read 2038 times)

Azurelies

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
One Month Before Trials?
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:46:46 am »
Hello
I have trials in just over a month, and would like some advice on how to best study for it. 4 weeks is not much time at all and I feel like everyone else had so much more preparation than me ;__;
My internal ranks were really not that great and I really need good trial results to pull them up!
And I do Chemistry, Physics, Advanced English, Maths Ext 1 and Maths Ext 2.
Class of 2017
Advanced English - Mathematics Extension 2 - Mathematics Extension 1 - Chemistry - Physics

UON MBBS (Joint Medical Program)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: One Month Before Trials?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:59 am »
Hello
I have trials in just over a month, and would like some advice on how to best study for it. 4 weeks is not much time at all and I feel like everyone else had so much more preparation than me ;__;
My internal ranks were really not that great and I really need good trial results to pull them up!
And I do Chemistry, Physics, Advanced English, Maths Ext 1 and Maths Ext 2.

Am in similar position. Panic mode will ensue soon.

):
Heavy Things :(

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 01:06:52 am »
+3
Totally in the same boat as you guys, but I'm personally focusing on getting some past papers done rather than trying to get a million notes written! Also don't panic, you've spent an entire year accumulating notes in class, even if (like me) you haven't actually written any outside of class!!

So I'm not super certain about chem and physics because I don't do them, but if its any similar to bio for last minute study I look at overarching syllabus dot points and scribble down everything I know on the topic onto a whiteboard (though paper would work too) to see if I remember everything, and then I do some open book past papers where I make sure I look at the marking criteria to know exactly what they're looking for (bc of how picky science markers can be :-\) and then eventually I do them under timed conditions. I assume you'd have more formulas to remember than I would though so maybe create/find a formula cheat sheet and stick it somewhere near where you study so you're seeing it constantly?

For maths I would definitely just do past papers and get as much practice in as you can rather than writing any notes bc you probably already have notes from throughout the year on the processes etc.

And english I would suggest creating quote cheat sheets for each module & the area of study, which is what I do, which links an aspect of the rubric with a quote & analysis, so no matter what question you get thrown at you in the trials, you'll have evidence to use :)

Everyone studies differently though so just do what works for you and don't over stress, you're probably more prepared than you feel like you are!! Hope that helped (:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:12:22 am by stephjones »
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:25:46 am »
Totally in the same boat as you guys, but I'm personally focusing on getting some past papers done rather than trying to get a million notes written! Also don't panic, you've spent an entire year accumulating notes in class, even if (like me) you haven't actually written any outside of class!!

So I'm not super certain about chem and physics because I don't do them, but if its any similar to bio for last minute study I look at overarching syllabus dot points and scribble down everything I know on the topic onto a whiteboard (though paper would work too) to see if I remember everything, and then I do some open book past papers where I make sure I look at the marking criteria to know exactly what they're looking for (bc of how picky science markers can be :-\) and then eventually I do them under timed conditions. I assume you'd have more formulas to remember than I would though so maybe create/find a formula cheat sheet and stick it somewhere near where you study so you're seeing it constantly?

For maths I would definitely just do past papers and get as much practice in as you can rather than writing any notes bc you probably already have notes from throughout the year on the processes etc.

And english I would suggest creating quote cheat sheets for each module & the area of study, which is what I do, which links an aspect of the rubric with a quote & analysis, so no matter what question you get thrown at you in the trials, you'll have evidence to use :)

Everyone studies differently though so just do what works for you and don't over stress, you're probably more prepared than you feel like you are!! Hope that helped (:

I'm taking the same approach! I've been spamming papers for Maths and ensuring I know the content well for English, legal and SoR. I think I struggle primarily with confidence, I KNOW how to do a question 90% of the time but I end up choking and messing it up.

Anyone got advice for confidence boosts? It sounds a bit selfish but it's honestly my biggest problem at the moment.
Heavy Things :(

Azurelies

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 10:43:52 am »

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Would start implementing those tips and start grinding on the past papers! :)))
Class of 2017
Advanced English - Mathematics Extension 2 - Mathematics Extension 1 - Chemistry - Physics

UON MBBS (Joint Medical Program)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:22:33 pm »
+1
Awesome discussion and responses above ;D

I'll link a few useful guides in case they help anyone :)

-Studying efficiently
-Making a study timetable
-18 Ways to Study

bearbear

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 09:49:58 am »
+1
I'm taking the same approach! I've been spamming papers for Maths and ensuring I know the content well for English, legal and SoR. I think I struggle primarily with confidence, I KNOW how to do a question 90% of the time but I end up choking and messing it up.

Anyone got advice for confidence boosts? It sounds a bit selfish but it's honestly my biggest problem at the moment.

Hi, I think the best way to boost your confidence is probably to just keep practising and revising. Maybe even try and teach someone else, this might help boost your confidence if you can see that your capable of showing someone else and that you know your stuff. But I think the most important thing is to just believe in yourself and not to stress to much about what you might get wrong. Just know that what ever your result is that you have done your best and don't compare yourself to others too much (not too great for confidence).
Hope this helps!  :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:17:53 am »
+4
For those struggling with confidence in exams:

So much of the entire HSC period, right from the end of preliminary until your last exam, is dictated by the way you applaud of depress yourself. I am a FIRM believer in congratulating even the smallest achievements. When I finished the first draft of a big assignment, I'd listen to Celebrate and dance it out for a minute or two. How silly! But it's a happy song, it gets the endorphins pumping, and it reminded me that I'd actually achieved something. Similarly, rewarding yourselves after exams, after long days of study, after finishing your homework...that's important. I personally thrive from positive re-enforcement, and there's not always someone around going to do that for you. So I could do it for myself! I'd make to-do lists that had really minor things on it. My list might look like this:

-English homework
-Finish draft introduction for legal essay
-Shower
-read chapter 4 for modern
-Remember to drink a glass of water

And then I'd tick things off and be HAPPY about them - even showering! I know it looks ridiculous, but this helped me get in the habit of congratulating myself and pumping up my own excitement. So when you're in exams, it helps to be able to remain calm, toot your own horn when you know you've aced a multiple choice question, and keep your head screwed on. The second you start doubting, things can spiral into madness: we all know that! So keeping a lid on your panic by filling yourself with small applauses has always helped me :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!