Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:31 pm

Author Topic: UCAT + ATAR combos required for medicine  (Read 10487 times)

Peas

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
UCAT + ATAR combos required for medicine
« on: May 23, 2019, 09:52:12 pm »
Hey all,

Assuming that this year's UCAT score requirements will be similar to previous years' UMAT, what percentile would I need for a strong chance at receiving an offer for medicine at Monash University (and other interstate universities)? I am fairly sure that I am eligible for the Monash Guarantee which should hopefully boost my ATAR up to 99.95 (bar any disasters with the exam).

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:12:30 pm by Peas »

Mizarellaa

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: UCAT + ATAR combos required for medicine
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 10:12:30 pm »
Hello!

UCAT Is very much prioritised by many uni's over ATAR but both are in consideration.

For Monash a minimum ATAR of 90 is required for BMedSci/MD (Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine).

If you are a domestic student a requirement of at least a 30 study score in your English subject is required as well as at least 30 in chemistry, if you are an international student undertaking EAL, a minimum of 35 is required.

In terms of UCAT:
"A total scale score is generated by summing the individual scale scores of Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, Quantitative Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning. In 2019 a total scale score ranges from 1200 to 3600."

So I would argue that Monash would be looking for you to do your best, I don't think there's a specific cut off line.

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss further I started a Discord server that you are more than welcome to join!  https://discord.gg/3STX23B

stella_atarnotes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:48:12 am »
+1
Based on previous scores, what would be considered a 'safe' UCAT score?

Hi, this all depends on which university you want to go to. Make sure you double check with any other universities you applied to, and even Monash, if SEAS still applies as some universities don't accept it for entrance into medicine degrees. For Monash in my year (2017), the UMAT cutoff threshold was around 95th percentile for interstate/international. With some universities, they accept a low UMAT score if your corresponding ATAR score is high. Generally with the UMAT (remembering this scoring might be different to UCAT), a 90+ percentile was enough to guarantee an interview position as long as you had a competitive ATAR (98+, 99+ ATAR plus 90+ UMAT will guarantee interviews across the country). Again, remembering this is just to cross the ATAR/UMAT threshold and you will still be marked on your interview. With UNSW in 2017, median atar was 99.6 and median UMAT was 96 out of the accepted students.

Krycek

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 01:22:47 pm »
Based on previous scores, what would be considered a 'safe' UCAT score?

Based off on UKCAT scores in the UK, 90th percentile seems to be above 2800/3600 score I believe. Maybe higher than that. Which means you have to score an average of 700 in Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, Abstract Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning (in order to score approximately 2800- you can afford to get some sub tests below 700 if you score very good in other sub tests) and Band 1 in Situational Judgment. It maybe different in Australian unis but for now, I am going with what is based off the UKCAT.
ATAR: 98

Bachelor of Biomedical Science