Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:26:20 am

Author Topic: Master of Engineering  (Read 856 times)  Share 

shixoe

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Master of Engineering
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:55:14 pm »
Sorry if this sounds dumb but does master of engineering give you the same qualification as a bachelor of engineering (e.g. if I did it in Monash).

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Master of Engineering
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:52:14 pm »
+1
Sorry if this sounds dumb but does master of engineering give you the same qualification as a bachelor of engineering (e.g. if I did it in Monash).

As I understand, in a practical sense yes. Obviously there are some differences with a Masters and you'd expect to leave with "more" information because it'll take longer and is theoretically a more challenging degree, but (I'm happy to be corrected) I'm fairly sure they give you the same certification to be an engineer at the end of the day.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

esile52

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Master of Engineering
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:54 am »
The main difference is that you're technically completing a masters level course which is highly regarded for engineers. You may want to consult with a careers advisor (high school) or chat to the careers people at uni (Stop One etc.) to discuss which option is better for you.
Also take into consideration the amount of knowledge you may learn in a 3 year bachelor's degree compared to the 5 years of total study required for the masters. This is my first semester of the Masters of Engineering after completing the Bachelor of Science at Unimelb, and I've found that, for the first time, we've actually learnt enough to design buildings and structures compared to undergrad when we had very limited practical knowledge.
Feel free to ask more questions