Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:12:53 am

Author Topic: The Psychological Question Thread.  (Read 10076 times)  Share 

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
The Psychological Question Thread.
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:45:37 pm »
hey there, I have created this thread for purpose of ease, as having many different topics can be.... harder :P
if anybody wishes to ask questions here, please feel free.

my accumulation of questions:
1. is info mainly stored within STM in an acoustic form? while rarely being stored in the form of images?
2. could working memory be desrcribed as an alternative model to STM
3. what is an example of a task that the central executive would be responsible for?
4. what are some examples of tasks related to the phonological loop, and also the visuospatial sketchpad?
5. In regards to the serial position effect, could later items be described as being proactively interefered with.
6. defense mechanisms are unconscious, true?
7. how could the limitations of the decay theory be explained?
8. with the forgetting curve how much info is lost after 30 mins, 1hr, 2hrs and 8hrs?

thanks heaps :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:03:17 pm by sillysmile »
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Re: The Psychological Question Thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »
hey there, I have created this thread for purpose of ease, as having many different topics can be.... harder :P

1. is info mainly stored within STM in an acoustic form? while rarely being stored in the form of images?
3. what is an example of a task that the central executive would be responsible for?
4. what are some examples of tasks related to the phonological loop, and also the visuospatial sketchpad?
5. In regards to the serial position effect, could later items be described as being proactively interefered with.
8. with the forgetting curve how much info is lost after 30 mins, 1hr, 2hrs and 8hrs?

This is just of the top of my head, don't have a book with me so it could be wrong :S

1)Yes, STM = acoustic while LTM = visual

2) Yes. The only difference between STM and working memory is the inclusion of the central executive.

3) Central executive integrates information from the visuo-spatial sketchpad and phonological loop, so to be able to read a word aloud from a book the central executive must integrate the visual image of the word (via the visuo-spatial sketchpad) with the auditory sound (via the phonological loop).

4) Visuo-spatial sketchpad example could be reading a book. Phonological loop would be listening to a conversation, you would need to keep certain phrases in STM then you process it and then respond accordingly.

5) Hmmm well technically yes, but the recency effect produces a slightly stronger correct recall rate so I don't know why you'd argue with proactive interference. I've never heard them mentioned together so I wouldn't start now.

6) Defence mechanisms? Where does this fit into the course? I think I've heard a bit about it but I can't remember much. Hasn't popped up on any exams, that I can recall so I wouldn't worry about it.

8) After 20 minutes 40% of the information is lost, after one hour approx 55% is lost, after 8 hours approx 65% is lost... Not 100% sure on these though cos it's just from my memory. I only know the figures for 20 mins, 1 hr, 8 hrs and 31 days, these are usually what they ask for.

Woops. Didn't realise I skipped Q7. Seems like the other person has it covered anyway
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:22:09 pm by shilayli06 »
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

bpexpress

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:52 pm »

1. I don't think that one is any more than the other, but I'm not sure :P
2. Yes, I think it describes STM in more detail, but essentially is the same.
3. It's responsible for suppressing irrelevant information from entering conscious awareness (eg. me thinking about PE information when answering these questions)
4. These are gonna be crap examples but you get the jist of it. Phonological loop: thinking about the sound of birds tweeting, visuospatial sketchpad: remembering exactly where on your desk you put your pencil
5. If items at the end of the list are not remembered it COULD possibly be due to the fact that it was RETROactively interfered with what someone has said after you learned the list, but is more likely due to STM duration.
6. They're reflex, so I'm assume that yes, they're unconscious.
7. there's a few reasons, 1 being that there's no evidence of a physical memory trace, and another being that some people can remember things, given the right retrieval cue eg. someone remembering their childhood experiences upon returning to their childhood home despite not having thought about it for many many years.
8. 58% of information is retained after 20 minutes, 44% is retained after 1 hour, 34% is retained after 24 hours and around 21% after a week or something.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Those were all off the top of my head, so yeah..might be mistakes

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »
both of your answers where very good, thanks guys :)

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:19:52 pm »
For Question 1 Encoding techniques has found with STM semantic encoding is more common than visual encoding. /quote LISACHEM 2010

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:16:36 pm »
My questions..:

Q1. What is an example of relearning??

Q2. In terms of LTM deterioration of older people would you say : Procedural is fine but declarative is affected OR only mainly episodic memory is affected.
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:23:51 pm »
My questions..:

Q1. What is an example of relearning??

Q2. In terms of LTM deterioration of older people would you say : Procedural is fine but declarative is affected OR only mainly episodic memory is affected.

1) A person who learnt units 3+4 VCE psychology in year 11 and got a bad score could repeat the subject in year 12 and thus would be "relearning" the information and hence would learn the information quicker the second time and this could be calculated via a savings score.

2) You would say "episodic memory", you need to be specific  As semantic isn't affected much and declarative includes both semantic and episodic so it wouldn't be right to say "declarative" since it encompasses both systems. :)

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:32 pm »
TSSM 2010
Question 17
As people age they are likely to experience memory decline in
A. episodic and procedural memory.
B. declarative but not procedural memory.
C. declarative and procedural memory.
D. episodic but not procedural memory.

so i picked D but its C..

also when you relearn something, do you use recall/recognition to get the original score?? also people say if you learn it quicker then you have used relearning, what do they mean by quicker??? how can you measure how fast you have learnt something?

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm an art student at heart, can't you tell?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »
from what i've read studies have shown none to verrrrrrrrrrrrry little decline in procedural.
if it was vcaa the answer would be D as i'm sure they say:
episodic = declines the most
semantic = declines somewhat, yet not significantly
procedural = little to no decline.

how fast you have learnt something ie.
a person learns first year french,
20 years later they decide to relearn the french and manage to learn the whole first years course in 4 months.
because, they're relearning.

also there's the equation to measure this which is:
((number of trials to learn information originally - number of trials to relearn information)
number of trials to learn information originally)x100
with the equation an example could be a list of 10 words.
takes a person 4 times to learn it originally and repeat it correctly. next week it takes them only 2 trials; then use the equation.

sorry if that equation is hard to understand... not good at writing out maths on a computer :buck2:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:10:13 pm by masonnnn »
2010: Chem, Lit, Bio, Psych and Further.
201_: Postgraduate Medicine...

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »
for relearning, check this link out.

look down   :D

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:40:15 pm by sillysmile »

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 09:53:00 pm »

btw is punishment used in skinner box experiment or just negative/positive reinforcement?

only like 2 days left til the exam!!!OMG

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 10:01:15 pm »

btw is punishment used in skinner box experiment or just negative/positive reinforcement?

I think so.

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:06:10 pm »

I would say just + and - reinforcement only. Think about it. The mild electric shock that the rats received was stopped whenever they pressed the lever (this is - reinforcement as it involves the removal of an aversive stimulus i.e. the electric shock). But then they could also press the lever and get food pellets which is then positive reinforcement. But there wasn't any punishment. Skinner always tried to increase the behaviour of the rats i.e. pressing the lever.

That's just my understanding of it. And on the 2010 Neap exam the answer to this question is + and - rein. only.

Hope that helps.

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:36 pm »

I would say just + and - reinforcement only. Think about it. The mild electric shock that the rats received was stopped whenever they pressed the lever (this is - reinforcement as it involves the removal of an aversive stimulus i.e. the electric shock). But then they could also press the lever and get food pellets which is then positive reinforcement. But there wasn't any punishment. Skinner always tried to increase the behaviour of the rats i.e. pressing the lever.

That's just my understanding of it. And on the 2010 Neap exam the answer to this question is + and - rein. only.

Hope that helps.
ah ok, that's good to know :)