Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:15:38 pm

Author Topic: I've been neglecting Biology. Pls help.  (Read 708 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
I've been neglecting Biology. Pls help.
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:22:36 pm »
+2
What is even going on with this subject? There's soooo much content and concepts to get my head around - and I haven't really noticed this until now, but I need to get a move on if I want to avoid crying like a lost child during the Bio exam. I just don't find the content as interesting as Psych. But as I've learnt this year (the hard way), "It's too hard" or "It's boring" aren't valid excuses to neglect a subject in favour of others that are either more interesting or require more urgent attention.

So, as pretty much every Bio student can attest to, the exam revision workload is threatening to bury me right now. Where do I even begin?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: I've been neglecting Biology. Pls help.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 04:41:52 pm »
+5
What is even going on with this subject? There's soooo much content and concepts to get my head around - and I haven't really noticed this until now, but I need to get a move on if I want to avoid crying like a lost child during the Bio exam. I just don't find the content as interesting as Psych. But as I've learnt this year (the hard way), "It's too hard" or "It's boring" aren't valid excuses to neglect a subject in favour of others that are either more interesting or require more urgent attention.

So, as pretty much every Bio student can attest to, the exam revision workload is threatening to bury me right now. Where do I even begin?

For biology, with its fair heap of content, drawing mind maps and diagrams really helped me consolidate all the concepts. This especially helps with the immune system.

Other than that, you should try to finish your notes on the content. If you're feeling a bit lost for what you actually need to know, you might want to have a look at the study guide as it gives you a fairly good checklist you can go through and tick off.
Once you've finished notes and perhaps consolidated some content using summary diagrams, you should move into exam style questions. They'll go pretty poorly at first, but you your mistakes as good indication of what knowledge you need to fill in.

Hopefully this may help you in finding a foothold in bio. but bio is definitely better than psych hehe
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

withez

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 05:17:15 pm »
+1
Disclaimer: I am currently studying biology. I am NOT a past student. However, I am doing quite well in my SACs and I have basically taught myself the entire course, so I think I am in an okay position to help. But please take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Given you are short on time, I would find a condensed and digestable source of information for Unit 3. I recommend Phoenix FIre's Unit 3 notes. They have the added bonus of links to short  videos to help you consolidate content. In your position, I would then spend a week or two using these to try to understand the content. Mindmaps, highlighters and diagrams are your best friend here. Identify your areas of weakness and book a time to see your teacher to go over your problem areas.
I think you should then spend another week memorising the atar notes lecture slides. These are a great baseline. You can add extra notes to these later.
Then start on checkpoints questions as soon as possible. Past VCAA questions are in my experience the most helpful resource.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Biol|Methods
Spesh|Physics|Chem|EngLang [raw 50 ss]
Overall ATAR: 99.45

Homoerectus

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 05:25:33 pm »
+1
I’m a current student but edrolo helps with fast revision and with understanding concepts and atar notes revision lectures at end of this term would also help with quick revision as you’re in a time crunch