Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 01:22:39 am

Author Topic: 50 in English, available for queries :)  (Read 341166 times)  Share 

mnewin

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: 50 in English, available for queries :)
« Reply #645 on: October 26, 2014, 10:42:49 am »
Hi lauren,
I write expository essays so my body paragraphs have topics sentences etc. I'm having difficulty "explaining" or "elaborating" more on my ideas presented in my topic sentences. Usually my paragraph usually just consists of evidence and explaining how they relate to the prompt or my ideas. I'm wondering how far you'll get in terms of a mark out of 10 if I keep doing that. I'm finding it really difficult to explain more on ideas presented in topic sentences. Also, for starting an expository essay, what are some interesting ways to go about it instead of a contextualising sentence, in the past, I've done first person stories, personal anecdotes, quotes but am not sure if I can do it in the exam. Thank you so much.

M_BONG

« Reply #646 on: October 26, 2014, 02:20:40 pm »
Hey Lauren, is it advisable to leave an empty line after each line for English?

Do assessors get annoyed because it's all spread out and stuff? Because I tend to edit my pieces and I find leaving an empty line easier.

Also, do they actually read your plan? Cuz I tend to scribble random crap on it like "write about Hal 4 bp 2" Does this leave a bad impression?

Thanks!

senorr

« Reply #647 on: October 26, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
Hey Lauren, is it advisable to leave an empty line after each line for English?

Do assessors get annoyed because it's all spread out and stuff? Because I tend to edit my pieces and I find leaving an empty line easier.

Also, do they actually read your plan? Cuz I tend to scribble random crap on it like "write about Hal 4 bp 2" Does this leave a bad impression?

Thanks!

if you mean leaving an empty space in every second line, that's kind of unnecessary.  and if you edit your pieces, while writing, it would be annoying for the assessor to read. it would also be time consuming, wouldnt it?
as for the plan, they do not scan it, so assessors will never see it. also, it's completely irrelevant to them, they just wanna read your essays as fast as possible and give it a mark for its content!

Billion

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #648 on: October 26, 2014, 07:16:54 pm »
For a prompt (No Sugar - Play) such as "How does Davis use theatrical techniques to show _"
What really is classified as a theatrical technique? What should we talk about, and avoid?
E.g. dialect?

Thanks!

Mykindos

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #649 on: October 26, 2014, 10:31:53 pm »
When using external sources for lets say conflict, I've always thought the best ones to use would be war, or lets say a situation where somebody is a bystander (relevant to The Quiet American), but apparently there is so much more I can draw ideas from, including TV Series, Movies, Theories, etc. Is this true?

faredcarsking123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Abigaul
« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2014, 10:38:22 pm »
Hey lads,

Do we need to underline the name of the article or speech in language analysis?

And if it is at a forum or convention, and we are given its name, do we need to underline it?

Yacoubb

« Reply #651 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:15 pm »
+1
Hey lads,

Do we need to underline the name of the article or speech in language analysis?

And if it is at a forum or convention, and we are given its name, do we need to underline it?

Put name of the article in quotation marks, and underline the newspaper/magazine it is published in. I don't imagine you'd need to underline a forum or convention. If it's italicised in the background information box, then I'd probably underline it. If not though, I don't imagine you'd need to do anything.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #652 on: October 27, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »
+3
Zeitgeist:
Well, I think that plan is preferable to writing as Hitchens from beyond the grave if that's what you're asking. The date and publication is a really minor thing; what matters is how and why you're using his voice. If you can answer those questions confidently then you'll be fine.
And just so you know, there are penalties for assessors who skim read or assign a vastly inappropriate mark. Because everything is moderated, they keep track of teachers whose judgements are off, and they usually just get rid of them if they have enough strikes next to their name (as in, they don't mark essays for VCAA anymore... they're still teachers though.)
Don't put too much onus on the assessors, the exam isn't full of as many variables as you think, and it doesn't just come down to a subjective impression. There are very real improvements you can make between now and then, so don't be disheartened!

mnewin:
That depends. If all you're lacking is sophistication, then you could still pull a mid-high band response. However, if where you struggle is relating your discussion to the prompt, then that would sway the mark considerably. I'd recommend going through the context section in the first post since there are some strategies there for elaboration and transition.
The first person voice can be good for intros, so long as it's clear and the link to your piece isn't too messy. Sample hybrid essays (on AN or in Assessor's Reports) might give you some other options. There's also an historical example that I was keen on using, though it didn't work for me in the exam. Link in the OP :)

Zezima:
Line breaks are totally up to you. If you think it would improve clarity or legibility then it's probably a good idea. You can always request an extra script book which shouldn't take longer than a few seconds to fill out. (From memory it's just your student number, and possible the date?) An assessor would rather read a spaced out piece that's legible than have to strain their eyes to pick out the non-crossed out sentences in a densely edited mess, so go with whatever works for you.
And no, your plan isn't even scanned. If they see weird little reminders scrawled in the margins, they just ignore it. You won't lose marks for anything you write there, but you also don't gain any, so don't rely on a plan to explain yourself or clarify your ideas; the essay is the only thing that matters.

Billion:
Rarely will a VCAA prompt be that vague. 'Theatrical techniques' could be anything; staging, blocking, mood, dialogue, motifs, etc. There's no concrete list, but I'd say try and acknowledge the performative aspects of the text. So many students ignore the fact that a play is meant to be performed, and they just treat it like a hard copy textual analysis. I can't think of anything to avoid, specifically. No Sugar is a new text so you're unlikely to get a structural question in the first year, but maybe go through the text and just work out what the most dominant devices and features are in case you need them for evidence :)

Mykindos:
Yep, you can go well and truly beyond the text provided you know how to link things. It's not compulsory though, and for many students the close examples work better anyway, so don't feel like you have to throw yourself into researching for the next two days.
A brief sample of things can be found here: External Examples :)

faredcarsking123:
Yacoubb beat me to it. Conventions like that aren't a big deal, the assessors are only really fussy if you alternate between 'single' and "double" quotations for no reason, or if you don't capitalise the author's name. Honestly, you wouldn't even have to mention the publication as the intro only really needs to cover the author, contention, form, and maybe tone or audience.
The analysis is where the marks are; but yeah, single quotes for a title, otherwise just rely on the conventions in the Background Info. They can't take a mark off if they've done it wrong too :)

mia-la-bella

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Hogwarts
« Reply #653 on: October 27, 2014, 01:47:19 pm »
Hello Lauren,

Is it advised against doing an abstract kind of creative piece. I've written a practice piece for 'The Quiet American', which is a story based on Plato's Analogy of the Cave in response to a topic about the necessity of conflict to progress or something about change or unfamiliar being the root of conflict. If a similar prompt were to appear in the exam on Wednesday I'd love to mould the piece to suit the prompt but I'm not sure if the assessors would like it- is it too difficult to see the links, etc. Do I need to be more abvious? Haha sorry if that didn't make sense ^.

Thanks!

mia-la-bella

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Hogwarts
« Reply #654 on: October 27, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »
I can send a bit of the intro or something if it would help

knightrider

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #655 on: October 27, 2014, 05:47:09 pm »
Hi Lauren.

I will be going into 3/4 English next year as a year 11 and do not want to repeat English as this is the last year with the old study design.

i really want to get a high score in English as i don't like the new study design.
What do you think are the best ways to study for English and achieve the maximum score possible.
When do you recommend reading your English texts and start writing essays.
I have identified my weakest section as context and we will be doing identity and belonging next year.How can i improve on this.
What else do you think is best preparation for English 3/4 and also how do you reckon i can best maximize my chance at doing well in the subject.

Thanks

walkec

« Reply #656 on: October 27, 2014, 07:57:24 pm »
+1
Hi Lauren.

I will be going into 3/4 English next year as a year 11 and do not want to repeat English as this is the last year with the old study design.

i really want to get a high score in English as i don't like the new study design.
What do you think are the best ways to study for English and achieve the maximum score possible.
When do you recommend reading your English texts and start writing essays.
I have identified my weakest section as context and we will be doing identity and belonging next year.How can i improve on this.
What else do you think is best preparation for English 3/4 and also how do you reckon i can best maximize my chance at doing well in the subject.

Thanks

One question - how do you know you won't like the new study design if it has not yet been implemented?
  • Best way to study for English - question, read, analyse, critique, refine and write constantly
  • Only start writing your essays when you have developed a strong enough interpretation for your writing to have purpose and meaning instead of for the sake of writing essays
    • You can improve in context by doing what I suggested to do to study for English. I absolutely hated Context at the start of the year, but I read, thought, wrote and developed my ideas throughout the year and now it's one of my best sections. It's all about practice
    • Read your texts for enjoyment over summer. Read the newspaper. Read. A lot.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #657 on: October 27, 2014, 08:07:23 pm »
+2
Read. A lot.

^ x ∞

It's tough for me to just make general statements on how to improve. Read through as many resources as you can, that's about all, unless you had a very specific question.
When identifying weaknesses, be more specific than just 'context.' Be as specific as possible, it makes it much easier to improve.

Mykindos

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #658 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »
Hey lauren, back from what I said before about external references. Lets say I were to use Game of thrones as a reference, would I have to provide a little bit of background information on the show, just incase the assessor hasn't actually seen it themselves?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #659 on: October 27, 2014, 08:17:38 pm »
+2
Yes definitely. Even for something as culturally ubiquitous as GoT or Harry Potter, it's still good to spend half a sentence like, 'This is best exemplified in J.K. Rowling's famous series of books which chart the journey of a young wizard who...'

Try not to get too in-depth with your examples unless you can extricate yourself and link it well. Broadly applicable things are always better, especially in an exam scenario where your brain will be pumped with adrenaline and you don't want to run the risk of losing marks for irrelevance or lacking sophistication.