Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:49:39 am

Author Topic: How to effectively study for spesh 3/4?  (Read 733 times)  Share 

lazy river

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to effectively study for spesh 3/4?
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:22:50 pm »
Hi I'm in year 11 doing 3/4 spesh with the idea that I'll repeat 3/4 in year 12. Lately I haven't been getting the results I'd like to see even though I'm understanding the main concepts. I'm also spending about 2 hours a day doing spesh homework. Is there any way I can improve my study to achieve better marks?
Thanks!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: How to effectively study for spesh 3/4?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:27:42 pm »
+4
Hi I'm in year 11 doing 3/4 spesh with the idea that I'll repeat 3/4 in year 12. Lately I haven't been getting the results I'd like to see even though I'm understanding the main concepts. I'm also spending about 2 hours a day doing spesh homework. Is there any way I can improve my study to achieve better marks?
Thanks!

I don't do spesh, but many of my friends do, and spesh is similar to any other maths subject in terms of methods to study :). The homework you probably receive is textbook questions. This has been repeated a lot over the forums: unfortunately textbook questions are only designed to test your understanding. It does not prepare you for tests or the exam. If you want to get similar questions to what will appear in your sacs/exam, then I highly recommend purchasing checkpoints (or just choosing questions from the VCAA exams yourself) and asking your teacher for sac-style questions. Doing 2 hours of homework as your major form of preparation will not cut it - everyone is expected to complete the homework and in no way will it guarantee you will be prepared for assessment. If you find it is taking too long to complete homework and you don't have time for other forms of study, then cut down the amount of textbook questions you do. Only do the more difficult questions/questions you are having trouble with to ensure you have plenty of time to spend on exam questions. Furthermore, understanding the content is not enough for maths. You must ensure you can apply it to any scenario, no matter how confusing or abstract it may be. The only way to do this is to spam practice questions that aren't from the textbook (really, the only way to study for maths). If you have trouble with certain concepts, do all the questions from the textbook and ensure you get extra help so you can really tackle those exam questions. Good luck with spesh!

P.S. It is only the start of the year. Work hard from now and you will likely find you won't need to be spending time repeating spesh 3/4 again. I'm confident you will be able to improve if you practise and spend time on application tasks.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash