Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:42 am

Author Topic: QCE Legal Studies Questions Thread  (Read 4991 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
QCE Legal Studies Questions Thread
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:26:41 pm »
+5
QCE LEGAL STUDIES Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the QCE Legal Studies course (both Units 1&2 and 3&4) or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, so you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
Re: QCE Legal Studies Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:22:44 pm »
Hi ATAR Notes,

Is unit 2 basically civil law?

If so, would I be learning things that might be related to contractual/corporate law?

If this is the case then I'm excited :)

Please answer,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

XD12345

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 08:35:09 pm »
Hello,

With my external exams coming up I’ve been doing a lot of practice questions and practice papers for my science subjects. I also would like to do some practice exam questions for legal studies but besides the sample assessment, I haven’t found any sources for practice questions.

Are there any other ways I can practice answering legal studies questions for this years Queensland’s legal studies external exam?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:11:45 am »
+3
Hello,

With my external exams coming up I’ve been doing a lot of practice questions and practice papers for my science subjects. I also would like to do some practice exam questions for legal studies but besides the sample assessment, I haven’t found any sources for practice questions.

Are there any other ways I can practice answering legal studies questions for this years Queensland’s legal studies external exam?

Hi there!

Your teacher is probably your best bet, since they might have access to additional practice resources from QCAA that aren't available to students or the public. They might even be able to write some practice questions for you!

But if that doesn't pan out, you can try looking at Legal Studies exams from other states. Since QCE Legal focuses so much on human rights, I'd recommend trying a HSC Legal Studies exam (that one's from last year but you can find them all here) and just answer the questions that are relevant to you. The HSC course is much broader than the QCE one, so don't stress if you see questions using words you've never seen before! You could even just ctrl+F search for 'human rights' and then answer the ~10 relevant questions from each past HSC exam.

Unfortunately, these won't reflect the QCE exam style (e.g. some of the questions will be multiple-choice, which you won't have to do on your real exam, and QCAA may pose questions in different ways) so they're far from perfect, but it might be a good start!

Your other option is to go straight to the syllabus to ensure 100% relevance...

You can essentially construct mini-exam questions around each of these dot points. For example:
- Analyse the role of express and implied rights in ensuring Australians' freedom from discrimination.
- Explain the impact of protesting as a legal process for resolving human rights complaints in Australia.
- Analyse the role of the Australian Law Reform Commission in advocating for human rights.
- Evaluate a current human rights issue in Australia and suggest a way the legal system should improve to address this.

Again, this might not be a perfect way to replicate exam conditions, but it's sure to be good practice, and has the added benefit of giving you an even stronger understanding of the syllabus!

Hope that helps! :)

XD12345

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 10:18:13 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone has a list of all the explicit and implicit rights that are on the syllabus, and how they are implied (like through what act and sections)

Sorry if this question doesn’t make sense, I’ve been looking through the textbook but can’t find clear statements on the implicit and explicit rights and I’m hoping to get a clear answer to help me revise.

XD12345

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 07:06:09 pm »
Hi forum,

I was just wondering, is the right to vote in the Australian constitution an expressed right or an implied right

The textbook talks about the right to democratic representation and what it implies and expresses but I just wanted to get a clear answer

Thank you!