Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:11:24 pm

Author Topic: Experience dependent and experience expectant ?!?!?!?!  (Read 34324 times)  Share 

inneedoftherapy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Experience dependent and experience expectant ?!?!?!?!
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »
Hey guys!

Confused on what the difference between experience expectant learning and experience dependent learning in terms of sensitive period and critical period. Apparently experience expectant occurs in sensitive period and experience dependent occurs in critical period but ...doesn't really make sense to me? Can you provide an example for each. Isn't, a kitten not exposed to visual stimulus becoming visually impaired a experience expectant, but apparently it's experience dependent ?!?!!??!!?
Thanks!

darklight

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Experience dependent and experience expectant ?!?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:53:00 pm »
+1
Hey guys!

Confused on what the difference between experience expectant learning and experience dependent learning in terms of sensitive period and critical period. Apparently experience expectant occurs in sensitive period and experience dependent occurs in critical period but ...doesn't really make sense to me? Can you provide an example for each. Isn't, a kitten not exposed to visual stimulus becoming visually impaired a experience expectant, but apparently it's experience dependent ?!?!!??!!?
Thanks!

I'm not sure where you heard that from. I've been taught that experience-expectant learning occurs during sensitive periods. Basically, this type of learning is when your brain is primed to learn some type of experience & the neural pathways are more easily formed. An example, would be acquisition of one's native tongue should occur in the sensitive period in the first few years of one's life. I would think your example is experience-expectant...

Experience-dependent learning can occur throughout the lifespan and doesn't need a sensitive period. It's dependent solely on experience. An example would be being able to build a tent - your brain doesn't have a period where it 'expects' this learning and hence it can be considered experience-dependent.

Check 2011 Unit 4 exam for a question on this.

Best of luck!
2015: Monash MBBS

inneedoftherapy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Experience dependent and experience expectant ?!?!?!?!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:32:51 pm »
Thanks! U too!