Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:30:38 pm

Author Topic: Differences between ICD and DSM?  (Read 10531 times)  Share 

MeLucky

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Differences between ICD and DSM?
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »
+1
Hey guys, was just reading through the Grivas and Oxford psych books and I'm finding it a bit hard to differentiate between the ICD and DSM significantly.
The main differences I've noted so far are:
-ICD covers a wider range of health problems then the DSM as it classifies both physical and mental illnesses.
-ICD distinguishes between mental and behavioural disorders whilst DSM uses the term 'mental disorders' to cover both types of disorders
-DSM published by the American Psychiatric Association, ICD published by the WHO(doubt we need to know this) lol
-ICD primarily used in Europe-useless info?
-Four different versions of ICD for different purposes. The multiaxial version has only 3 axes which are different to the 5 axes contained in DSM's multiaxial system.
-ICD is less detailed than the DSM.
-Many categories in the DSM may be grouped into one category in the ICD(one of the reasons it is less detailed)

From the textbooks, it doesn't seem like we need to know much about the ICD compared to the DSM but I'm a curious person :)

So is there anything major I missed out on?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:00:07 pm by MeLucky »
Bleh.

playsimme

Re: Differences between ICD and DSM?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:50:05 pm »
Thanks for this - yeah I found it particularly hard to distinguish between the two hence why I skipped that section in my notes.
to add to the icd being less detailed - it doesn't describe the progression of the disorder (the prognosis) and the popularity of it whereas the dsm does?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:54:00 pm by playsimme »

MeLucky

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Differences between ICD and DSM?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:03 pm »
Yes, that's right. However, I wouldn't use the term 'popularity' as a replacement for 'prevalence' :)
Bleh.