Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:11:11 pm

Author Topic: What motivates you?  (Read 2321 times)

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
What motivates you?
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:13:34 am »
+3
Hi everyone!  :D

Do you agree that motivation can help you achieve your goals? Please share your experiences and tips to do with motivation. 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:30:01 am by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

seventeenboi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: What motivates you?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:27:50 am »
+7
Yess!!!!!

Motivation is really what keeps me from burning out throughout the year, although it's really hard to maintain it :(( When I'm faced with tedium and get sick of a particular subject I just keep telling myself 'if you think about it, you'll just have to do this later anyways' to try and guilt trip myself into actually doing the work - it really works when you hypothesise the amount of stress and frustration you'll have to go through later!! although I don't keep a diary, I still write out a list of things I want to accomplish by the end of the day on a piece of paper, or on reminders on mac. it helps me visualise the amount of things that I have to do!

study buddies
If you find that you're not achieving anything at home and end up procrastinating/looking at facebook every 10 minutes, it's a great idea to go and study at your local library!! grab a study buddy as well: contrary to what a lot of people assume, study buddies will not distract you - they only will if you let them! Seeing a friend study will also motivate you to study, and if you guys do the same subjects it's even better.. you can see what things they've done as a source of motivation AND, in the study session you guys can help each other out!

Rewarding yourself is also another really helpful way of motivation .. I often go to the library straight after school and stay there till around 8pm. I go home, have dinner... and do absolutely nothing, surf youtube, catch up with episodes etccc. The 4/5 hours after school of straight studying at the library can help you achieve so much and the hours will fly by very quickly so it won't seem like heavy studying at all :o

hope this helped!

Erstwhile

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:40 am »
+8
Hey,

An effective way to study and not get burned out is to use the Pomodoro studying technique. It consists of 25 minutes of hard work and 5 minutes of break time. There is an app called 30/30 that allows you to set time for doing certain things and I recommend you use it to its full potential. Studying with the Pomodoro timer makes time feel like it's going significantly faster and allows for productive study. The 5 minute break between each session feels rewarding and allows you just enough time to relax your mind. Going to the library will help you study effectively but going to a quiet cafe is much more preferable IMO. (Maybe this is because the libraries near me are really noisy)  ;D. I don't know about you but this forum has allowed me to get help from successful VCE students and it has greatly motivated me to enhance my work ethic (Seriously, this forum is like the best  ;) ). All in all, I think being motivated by successful people is the best possible way not to get burned out and getting in contact with them is even better because you can recieve help and support from someone who has been through this before.
#nerdlife 2019

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:16:19 am »
+7
Definitely! I think motivating yourself with what you WANT to achieve this year can really give you that extra kick to study harder and work harder! I'm the type of person whose life revolves around vision boards and Pinterest boards. Something that's visual and easy to see, so I really recommend just setting up a space where you can throw up motivational quotes, stuff that you want to achieve, post-exam aspirations etc. and working towards that?

And I totally agree with the two above replies too! Study buddies are really great because you can have a pal that you can depend on + study with! It makes studying that extra bit fun and it reassures you that you're not going through this alone (: The Pomodoro technique is really great too, because it ensures that you will be getting the breaks you need, and you won't be studying for like, 8 hours straight.
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:55:51 am »
+6
Elyse's massive green folder for legal studies

If this didn't motivate you to get yourself into gear for trials, I don't know what will. This folder boasts every past paper, case, article and statistic under the legal studies sun. It's no surprise that even when faced with the curveball that was the 2015 crime essay, she could still pull through with a band 6 ! Honestly though, this was a huge wake up call for me. When comparing my current work ethic to that of successful HSC students, I realise how so under-prepared I am for trials. Of course, there is always time to get myself in check, but I just wanted to express my deepest thanks to Elyse, for giving me insight into the mindset of an active and motivated student :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:46:22 pm »
+6
Elyse's massive green folder for legal studies

If this didn't motivate you to get yourself into gear for trials, I don't know what will. This folder boasts every past paper, case, article and statistic under the legal studies sun. It's no surprise that even when faced with the curveball that was the 2015 crime essay, she could still pull through with a band 6 ! Honestly though, this was a huge wake up call for me. When comparing my current work ethic to that of successful HSC students, I realise how so under-prepared I am for trials. Of course, there is always time to get myself in check, but I just wanted to express my deepest thanks to Elyse, for giving me insight into the mindset of an active and motivated student :)

Off Topic: Omg, that folder is nuts, and even having state ranked Legal I go greener than the folder is with envy when she rocks up with that thing. She is a hero ;)

Holidays and big breaks motivate me!! Small scale, working hard during the day today, I am motivated by seeing my friends tonight. Large scale, I'm motivated to smash my next semester at uni so I can unwind and relax on a cruise in December! ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:29 pm »
+5
I think I can speak for pretty much everyone when I say success motivates me. Even the thought of succeeding is enough to motivate me most of the time. As with AN, helping people is a big motivator as to why I am on here.
But at the end of the day, doesn't this all just boil down to satisfaction?
Satisfaction drives us all to victory I reckon.

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:12:59 pm »
+1
Hopes and dreams and looking at how successful others are. 
Also conditional scholarship offers from elite Universities so you have to get that 90 ATAR :/
Thomas Loos

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:30:09 pm »
+7
I exert tons of pressure on myself every day.

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:17 pm »
Compettition drives me, like wantting to be bettter than others but more importanttly wantting to be great at somethingf i put my mind into

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 05:13:27 am »
For me, also the risk of failure and underachieving drives me. I certainly do not want to be looking back in a few years time and thinking what could have been. I want to do everything in my power to achieve my goals and to always become a better version of myself.
Thomas Loos

surfmeister

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 12:43:00 am »
What keeps me going is the love from family and friends. There unwavering support fuels me to work hard for my dreams.

5mixer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 03:15:18 pm »
I honestly struggle with motivation, but there is certainly something to be said for getting excited about a topic. Then you practically want to do the work... it's just a matter of finding some fun way of doing/viewing the task.
I like programming, engineering and science💻⚙️

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 03:37:32 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!  :D

Do you agree that motivation can help you achieve your goals? Please share your experiences and tips to do with motivation. 
What motivated me?

The fact that I would be a disgrace to my Asian family and that my parents would smack my ass if I did bad (or lecture me) xD.

millicent.lee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 05:05:34 pm »
doing med at uni  :) pretty self explanatory