Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:12:08 am

Author Topic: scores that made the cut  (Read 2400 times)  Share 

sippingtea

• Trendsetter
  • yes, it’s true i suck at math
  • Respect: +3
scores that made the cut
« on: June 21, 2019, 03:42:23 pm »
hi everyone!
i’m quite new to atar notes, i was wondering if any past participants or anyone that knows someone who got in would like to share their scores that got them into a selective entry school.
thanks!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: scores that made the cut
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:35:19 pm »
+1
Firstly, i’d like to reiterate that your performance is judged relatively, and so sometimes your predictions may differ to the score you receive. I received four superiors, a high average and an above average. When I did the selective admissions test, we had two writing tasks to complete in 15 minutes each, which is why I did 6 tests and not 5. I got a first round offer into my first preference.

I have friends who got in through principal’s discretion and had received 1-2 superiors. One of my friends got 3 superiors and got into her first preference. You need at least one superior to get into a selective school, however it is likely that you may also be given your second or third preference if you can’t make it into your first. It also doesn’t really matter what round offer you get either.

Right after I did the selective entrance exam, my dad got us some pizza and we went home, after which I’m pretty sure I proceeded to watch movies. I didn’t think about my scores and what they could be at all during this period. The most I did was discuss how well I did with my parents, then we all blissfully continued with normal life and ‘forgot’ about the exam. I didn’t even know the date at which first round offers came, so I was surprised and tired when my parents woke me up at 2am in the morning to tell me I got in. What I want to tell you is that don’t obssess over what has already happened, the best thing you can do is relax and see what your outcome is when you get your results. And don’t be disappointed if you don’t get a first round offer - there’s still many more offers to come round! And don’t forget that not getting in isn’t the end of the world either, you have tons more opportunities to do well. What really matters in the end is how much effort you put into your VCE, and so ultimately you shouldn’t take it out on yourself if you don’t get in. The amount of effort you put into your studies and how interested you are is independent of what school you go to and can be achieved at any school if you put your mind to it.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

cloudyy

• Forum Regular
  • !
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 05:54:25 pm »
Got into schs first round, got a PD for macrob but then got a 2nd round offer from macrob again shortly after.

I'm seriously still wondering how I got in, I'm prEtty sure you need at least 2 sups to get in but i think i got lucky and got in :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:21:17 pm by cloudyy »

CosTheta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:19:55 pm »
Three above average
One superior
One average (l o l)
One high average

Got into schs first round, got a PD for macrob but then got a 2nd round offer from macrob again shortly after.

I'm seriously still wondering how I got in, I'm prEtty sure you need at least 2 sups to get in but i think i got lucky and got in :)
Hi - Just wondering when you got your offer from schs, did you take it straightaway and afterwards you got Macrob's offer ? Did you go to Macrob or schs ?
I remember on one of the school tours at schs, the principal telling us that if you get any offer - take it straightaway and don't refuse it even if it is not your first preference. please suggest. 

sippingtea

• Trendsetter
  • yes, it’s true i suck at math
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 03:20:03 pm »
Hi - Just wondering when you got your offer from schs, did you take it straightaway and afterwards you got Macrob's offer ? Did you go to Macrob or schs ?
I remember on one of the school tours at schs, the principal telling us that if you get any offer - take it straightaway and don't refuse it even if it is not your first preference. please suggest.
here’s something worth knowing
my friend’s sister received an offer from schs even though macrob was her first pref. Even after she accepted schs, macrob still came through with a second round offer and she accepted it; she ended up going to macrob and graduated in 2016. So moral of the story: accepting an offer doesn’t always mean all other offers close, just be patient :)

rakshanaraj06

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 05:56:39 pm »
In summary, good at math = scholarship, bad at math = no scholarship.
not necessarily. many schools take your english marks more serious than maths. my tutor told me that if you can get a superior in all 3 english tests yet manage to get an average or HA for the maths, you will definitely get in. comprehensive skills are vital in english speaking countries. this is just my opinion. you might be right too.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 06:18:06 pm »
maths: superior
numerical: superior
comprehension: superior
verbal: superior
persuasive: high average
creative: high average

everyone is marked differently. i go to macrob and theres some girls with no superiors at all!! you just have to trust in your performance and hope for the best
taking a break.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 06:18:35 pm »
not necessarily. many schools take your english marks more serious than maths. my tutor told me that if you can get a superior in all 3 english tests yet manage to get an average or HA for the maths, you will definitely get in. comprehensive skills are vital in english speaking countries. this is just my opinion. you might be right too.

absolutely. english is far more important than maths imo and way more necessary
taking a break.

cloudyy

• Forum Regular
  • !
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:47 pm »

Oops im sorry it took me a long time to get back to you 😔 and yes! i did take it straight away after receiving the offer for schs but ended up going to macrob afterwards :)) If you get an offer from your 2nd/3rd preference, make sure you accept as your 1st pref offer will still come to you anyways if you're lucky :)

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 08:56:41 pm »

hey are you in year 10 this year? like did you do the exam in 2017 or 2018??
taking a break.

cloudyy

• Forum Regular
  • !
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 09:50:04 pm »
hey are you in year 10 this year? like did you do the exam in 2017 or 2018??

I'm in year 9 this year :> did my exam last year

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 09:20:28 am »
Oops im sorry it took me a long time to get back to you 😔 and yes! i did take it straight away after receiving the offer for schs but ended up going to macrob afterwards :)) If you get an offer from your 2nd/3rd preference, make sure you accept as your 1st pref offer will still come to you anyways if you're lucky :)
Thanks for clearing my doubt.  :)

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:29 am »
here’s something worth knowing
my friend’s sister received an offer from schs even though macrob was her first pref. Even after she accepted schs, macrob still came through with a second round offer and she accepted it; she ended up going to macrob and graduated in 2016. So moral of the story: accepting an offer doesn’t always mean all other offers close, just be patient :)
Thanks for the valuable insight  :)

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 08:36:05 pm »
I'm in year 9 this year :> did my exam last year

oh ok nvm i thought you were someone else haha <3 (still pls talk to me i need friend ;-;)
taking a break.