Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:30 pm

Author Topic: Assessment mark  (Read 1242 times)  Share 

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Assessment mark
« on: April 10, 2019, 06:42:03 pm »
Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I just had a test that counted towards 20% of my assessment mark. I don’t think I did that well. In fact, I didn’t do well at all. I know that if I apply myself under a time constraint, I will do really well. Will I still be able to achieve a band E4???

Also, do any of you have any advice on how to do really well in maths X1?? Any practical advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Assessment mark
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:37:43 pm »
+4
Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I just had a test that counted towards 20% of my assessment mark. I don’t think I did that well. In fact, I didn’t do well at all. I know that if I apply myself under a time constraint, I will do really well. Will I still be able to achieve a band E4???

Also, do any of you have any advice on how to do really well in maths X1?? Any practical advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey there,

You definitely still be able to achieve an E4. Take Jamon for example, he came second last in the cohort and barely scraped a pass but he worked hard and managed to score in the 90% range and eventually got an E4 in 3U maths. I guess the moral of the story is that while assessments/exams are stressful, view them as another opportunity for you to improve on your previous mark.

As for advice in 3U, focus on areas that you are weak in and do a lot of practice questions on them. If you're struggling with the basics, go back and do a few questions from the textbook until you're really comfortable in them and then take a look at exam-style questions. For example, circle geo was my worst in 3U so I'd always make sure to do as many questions as I can (pretty sure I went back to the textbook and did all 52 circle geo questions). You don't have to go that far, but just make sure you've got your basics covered because the more you go forward the harder it'll be to understand.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:50:18 am »
+3
^ I knew I told that 'story' a lot but the fact you can quote it nearly verbatim is probably a bad sign for me owidjaja ;)

You've got this r1ck - It really is all about the practice for 3U, after I stuffed up my half yearly I did so much practice it wasn't funny (or sensible, probably). But I scored 100% on my next task, so clearly the effort was worth it - It will be for you too if you hang in there :)

spnmox

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 06:42:53 pm »
^ I knew I told that 'story' a lot but the fact you can quote it nearly verbatim is probably a bad sign for me owidjaja ;)

You've got this r1ck - It really is all about the practice for 3U, after I stuffed up my half yearly I did so much practice it wasn't funny (or sensible, probably). But I scored 100% on my next task, so clearly the effort was worth it - It will be for you too if you hang in there :)

Just out of curiosity, exactly how much practice did you do to score full marks in terms of hours/questions?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:15:10 pm »
Just out of curiosity, exactly how much practice did you do to score full marks in terms of hours/questions?

A lot - Like, the next exam I probably did a couple dozen hours of study for it. I couldn't tell you exactly what I did or how many, but it was a lot!

Way more than was sensible, but I knew how important it was to do really well in the next one to build my confidence back up, so I was willing to do more than was sensible ;D